What's new

Just bought Paradigms in Calgary how'd I do? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Well, I now have some speakers. Of course, not yet. 7-10 days. I got 60's, 20's, CC, all v.2, all basic black finish.

Got it for $2135 + 7% tax = $2285, Canadian of course. Retail was $2850.

I didn't buy a sub since I'm still in an apartment. Perhaps next year.

I'll be powering these with a high current Onkyo 575X receiver. Is this enough? or do I need more power?

I think I need an audio rack now... 5 shelf... where in Calgary, or online (Canada preferably) could I purchase a good shelving unit. The guy wanted to charge me full price (over $450) for either the Skyline or Premier audio rack, which I thought was a little much. I don't want to spend quite that much. Perhaps I will head out to Soundsaround tomorrow as I couldn't find any help at AB Sound today, or any good stands. They did have a nice one on display at the Sony Store in town... I may decide to check that out. Any others I could look out for??!

Now I can't wait. More than a week!! Very excited here.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'd want a little more juice than a 575 for those speakers. Have you considered buying used off Audiogon.com?

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like you got a pretty good price.

Local dealer in vancouver wants $650 for 20s, $450 for the cc, and about $1100 for 40s w/ stands and cable.

we have to pay PST too though. Makes me think I should be going to alberta for my paradigm purchases now =)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Wow paul finally bough speakers:D You choose some nice speakers btw. The oink will do ok but adding a true power amp at some point would help bring them to life

Philip-j

Auditioning
If you want to buy a functional, cheap stand, and save for your sub, buy a "Quest" audio rack. They list for $200 around Calgary at A and B and Soundsaround. They come in black or silver. The best price I found in Calgary was $160
at general audio. They also sell Paradigm products--you can check out their subs.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
A big congrats!

Several years ago, I bought the same set of V.1 speakers (60's were floor models, slightly blemished) for a total of ~CDN$2200 including 14% taxes. IMO, you got a pretty good deal....good prices and no PST, you lucky guy.

Just add a PW2200 and you will be set. A Sony SA-WM40 may even suffice in the meantime....can't go wrong at ~CDN$250.

Dave

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Paul you finally got some speakers? You must have been on the same plan as me for I didn't have a 5.1 amp until last spring.

Seems like you got a good deal!

KevinKW

Auditioning
Nice deal on the speakers - its good to see local people getting good prices. I am going to upgrading from the Monitor Line to the Studio Line soon. I currently have an Onkyo 797 and it sounds great with the Paradigms.:)

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Paul, where in Calgary did you get them. I'm picking up a Servo-15 in Kelowna but hit Cowtown quite a bit and may like to swing a deal for some Studio 40's, CC and ADP's. Upgrade time :)

Surprisingly you might want to check out 'The Brick' for a stand.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
PaulT,

Last week, a good friend of mine picked up a pair of Studio/20 for CDN$525 plus 7.5% PST and 7% GST in Kelowna. He was quoted CDN$650 including taxes at a store in Vernon (same store chain). If this is an indicator of the prices of the Studio series in Vernon/Kelowna, then I suggest that you should stick to the stores in the Okanagan. I doubt that one could get a better price elsewhere including Alberta, even without PST.

Dave

PaulT

Supporting Actor
David, yes it's Andres Electronics. That's where I am getting the Servo-15. Haven't spoken to them about a package, but the more I purchase, the better the price 'should' be. I'm just adding to my list of shops to check out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks