Just bought Paradigms in Calgary how'd I do?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by McPaul, Jan 25, 2003.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Well, I now have some speakers. Of course, not yet. 7-10 days. I got 60's, 20's, CC, all v.2, all basic black finish.

Got it for $2135 + 7% tax = $2285, Canadian of course. Retail was $2850.

I didn't buy a sub since I'm still in an apartment. Perhaps next year.

I'll be powering these with a high current Onkyo 575X receiver. Is this enough? or do I need more power?

I think I need an audio rack now... 5 shelf... where in Calgary, or online (Canada preferably) could I purchase a good shelving unit. The guy wanted to charge me full price (over $450) for either the Skyline or Premier audio rack, which I thought was a little much. I don't want to spend quite that much. Perhaps I will head out to Soundsaround tomorrow as I couldn't find any help at AB Sound today, or any good stands. They did have a nice one on display at the Sony Store in town... I may decide to check that out. Any others I could look out for??!

Now I can't wait. More than a week!! Very excited here.

2. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

i like some of the stands at ikea.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'd want a little more juice than a 575 for those speakers. Have you considered buying used off Audiogon.com?

4. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like you got a pretty good price.

Local dealer in vancouver wants $650 for 20s, $450 for the cc, and about $1100 for 40s w/ stands and cable.

we have to pay PST too though. Makes me think I should be going to alberta for my paradigm purchases now =)

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Wow paul finally bough speakers[​IMG] You choose some nice speakers btw. The oink will do ok but adding a true power amp at some point would help bring them to life

6. Philip-j

Philip-j Auditioning

If you want to buy a functional, cheap stand, and save for your sub, buy a "Quest" audio rack. They list for $200 around Calgary at A and B and Soundsaround. They come in black or silver. The best price I found in Calgary was $160
    at general audio. They also sell Paradigm products--you can check out their subs.

7. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

A big congrats!

Several years ago, I bought the same set of V.1 speakers (60's were floor models, slightly blemished) for a total of ~CDN$2200 including 14% taxes. IMO, you got a pretty good deal....good prices and no PST, you lucky guy.

Just add a PW2200 and you will be set. A Sony SA-WM40 may even suffice in the meantime....can't go wrong at ~CDN$250.

Dave

8. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Paul you finally got some speakers? You must have been on the same plan as me for I didn't have a 5.1 amp until last spring.

Seems like you got a good deal!

9. KevinKW

KevinKW Auditioning

Nice deal on the speakers - its good to see local people getting good prices. I am going to upgrading from the Monitor Line to the Studio Line soon. I currently have an Onkyo 797 and it sounds great with the Paradigms.[​IMG]

10. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Paul, where in Calgary did you get them. I'm picking up a Servo-15 in Kelowna but hit Cowtown quite a bit and may like to swing a deal for some Studio 40's, CC and ADP's. Upgrade time [​IMG]

Surprisingly you might want to check out 'The Brick' for a stand.

11. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

PaulT,

Last week, a good friend of mine picked up a pair of Studio/20 for CDN$525 plus 7.5% PST and 7% GST in Kelowna. He was quoted CDN$650 including taxes at a store in Vernon (same store chain). If this is an indicator of the prices of the Studio series in Vernon/Kelowna, then I suggest that you should stick to the stores in the Okanagan. I doubt that one could get a better price elsewhere including Alberta, even without PST.

Dave

12. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

David, yes it's Andres Electronics. That's where I am getting the Servo-15. Haven't spoken to them about a package, but the more I purchase, the better the price 'should' be. I'm just adding to my list of shops to check out.