What's new

Jurassic Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I appreciate the CGi in this film because it doesn't rely entirely on it. Whenever they could use full-scale models, they did. (During the T-Rex escape scene for example, much of that was Stan Winston's creation!) They only used CGi for shots where live-action techniques are impossible, a T-Rex running, a raptor jumping on a table, etc. Nowadays, filmmakers philosophy is to not only use CGi for everything, but blantantly FIND reasons to use it. Did the movie Spiderman really require a computer generated Spiderman? Not really. Not for all the shots it was used for.

I prefer the Lord of the Rings philosophy, where Peter Jackson used as much live action models and sets as possible, unlike Star Wars, where it's more the reverse, use as few actors and sets as possible.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'd say it was Dennis Muren, but it even bests some of his later work.
I think the CG holds up simply because everyone worked especially hard on this flick. That doesn't mean they slacked on later releases, but JP was the one that introduced the potential of the technology, I think they really made sure everything was as perfect as it could be...

Travis D

Second Unit
You said it Colin. They absolutley made it perfect in my opinion. The only thing I have reservations on is the first Bronchiasaurous (sp?) in the "Welcome to Jurrasic ParK" sequence. It is the only thing that really doesn't hold up at all. Still, when I was 9 years old, sitting in that theater seat, that was a Fucking dinosaur on screen!

I'd pay a lifetime's worth of earnings to be 9 years old once more and watch that damn movie for the first time again... ::sigh::

You know, Speilberg made the best darn kid's flicks of all time. I might be going out on a limb here by regarding Jaws, Indiana Jones (all 3), and Jurassic Park as kid flicks, but I grew up on these movies. I had seen Jaws and the Indy movies countless times before I was 7. And the great thing about these movies was that as I grew older, I could find new things to appreciate about them. When I was 6, I had no idea what the storyline to Jaws was. I just knew there was a big shark that was going to eat Roy Schneider, and when he blew him up I jumped for joy. Same for Indy. Indiana Jones is inherently cool to every kid no matter when they were born. And when you get older, you can follow the larger storyline and see what great films they are as well. They are visually perfect and spectacular writing-wise. Now-a-days, your Kid flicks always star children. When I was a kid I always HATED movies that starred people my age. It was like an automatic signal that it was awful. Where are the movies that aren't supposed to be made for kids, but in reality are, because who else would buy into their logic so willingly?

Huh? Oh, I was supposed to talk about CG, but... oh nevermind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks