Julius Caesar in full screen?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Charles_Y, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Charles_Y

Charles_Y Stunt Coordinator

Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
    Just bought "Julius Caesar" (1970) from my local Tower. I remember it being widescreen having seen it in the theaters when I was in high school. However, the box says fullscreen.

I referenced Maltin's 2004 movie guide when I got home and it says the film was in Panavision. Well, I decided to check it out. Sure enough the film starts off with its opening title in widescreen and then blows up full screen. Yecchh!

The transfer was rather weak and the sound not much better. I know it is an old film most people forget but it has a nice line up of stars and the attempt to tackle the play once again after the early 50s version is interesting.

Why are we still putting up with pan and scan versions of anamorphic widescreen films that clearly should be mastered widescreen?

Does anybody have any further news on this title and why it was released this way?[​IMG]

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

I was planning on upgrading my Julius Caesar laser disc to the DVD but as soon as I saw it was pan and scan, forget it! The print used for the laser disc is in pretty rough shape but at least it's letterboxed.

3. Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet Stunt Coordinator

Yes, and this does not bode well for the upcoming Anthony and Cleopatra also with Heston from the same company. Major dissappointment.

4. andrew markworthy

Movies from 1970 are now 'old'? I feel ancient.