What's new

Journeyman - season 1 thread (4 Viewers)

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Who's to say that the "throwback" missions are not important? As well as the writers seem to be tying things together here, I expect every mission to have a bearing on the "future".

I suspect that "Tacheon Man" is a Journeyman, living in Dans' future.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Langley definately said he had moved his focus of study onto quartz. No small coincidence that it was also in the episode as the best "timekeeper" in the world...

You guys know what Gibbs says about coincidences :)

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
So whats the end game if Dans life spirals out of control. He could easily lose his job, his family and his freedom if the Feds continue down their current path. Does that just leave him free of responsibilities to go on long journey's?

My take of the 20 dollar bill at the bar was that was Brother was drinking the evidence against Dan and possibly washing his career away at the same time. Once the Fed realizes the note has gone or been replaced he is going to know who did it and why.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I take it that there's a conservation of time w/r/t Dan and Livia, meaning, if Dan bounces backwards in time for a duration 2 days, he returns 2 days from the point he bounced from the present to the past, and would be missing for 2 days from his wife's point of view as well.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone confirm that the 20 that Dan's brother paid with is the same bill that the Fed showed him? I can't imagine that the Fed would have left it, so I'm assuming that the brother was simply staring at another 20 and thinking about whether his brother's story could be true. Perhaps a freeze frame of the serial number might reveal whether it is the same bill.

In any case, didn't Dan just throw a pile of the stolen money onto the hoodlum that got shot at the store? So in the past there is now a record that a bunch of unusually violent hippies had the money. Dan should be off the hook simply from the chance that some of those bills would up back in circulation.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
My thought (and it is only speculation based mostly on the way the bar scene "played") is that if the $20 Jack spent at the bar is more than a normal $20 he's just looking at while thinking about the case, then it is the same $20 that Dan gave the cabbie in the past. But (and this is where I may not have been clear earlier) not the $20 that the FBI agent found in the evidence locker.

On this theory Jack would have pulled a switch back in the past (probably by making a photocopy of the fake $20) after he originally got the bill from the cabbie. (Because that bill would have had Jack's fingerprints on it.) So the obviously fake "evidence" bill is still in the envelope with the original seals, and Jack kept the near-perfect bill with the wrong year and Secretary of the Treasury. Which he now sees ws accurate and he spends it to get rid of it. But it also gets him thinking about Dan.

Regards,

Joe

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

In a previous scene with the FBI agent, they showed the agent getting up and leaving Dan alone staring at the bill. The assumption a scene or two later with a similar zoom in on the bill makes it probable the intention is to show it is the suspect currency.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Ok. I'm not sure they conveyed their intention clearly enough. I guess we'll find out next week.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I think that is right regarding the time he would be away when he returns from his travels. I guess Dan is living his life "normally", just that 2 days of his life has been spent somewhere else.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
That's how I interpreted it as well. The question is whether he is going to put more pieces together of what Dan is actually doing. Or if Dan does tell him the truth will he now believe it?

Neil

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was slightly confused by the bills' origins and the purpose of the zoom shot of the $20 at the very end of the episode. This, coupled with the already complex dispersement of the hijack bills, and those are a lot of bills to keep track of.

I like that Journeyman doesn't telegraph its more labyrinthine elements and dumb itself down, but there are times (as with House, M.D.) that I feel the writers are a little too wrapped up in their own story arc's internal logic to remember there's an audience of very sleepy people trying to keep everything together. I must admit, I've let a few things slide here and there, but that what this forum is great for - lots of people have filled in the blanks for me!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

I agree with Will B.

I wouldn't think Jack would have switched any of the $20 bills. So I fail to see the significance of the zoom shot when he pays for the beer.

Funny if now that those teens got the other money in the 70's, if the bills start turning up all over the place, guess that would take the heat off Dan.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Except the photos make it clear that the bill Jack was spending in the bar is that same as that in the evidence envelope. And that only leaves us with three possibilities:

1) He stole the bill out of evidence and spent it, probably ending both the investigation into Dan and his own police career. (And maybe getting a nice obstruction of justice indictment from the Feds for himself into the bargain.)

2) He somehow swapped the evidence bill with a photocopy and spent the real bill, while leaving the copy.

That then raises the question of when the made the switch. If it was in the present he would have to break the seal on the envelope and reseal it, or get another envelope and put the bill in and reseal it without being detected. Neither would have been easy to do.

If, however, he photocopied the bill when he first got it in the past, before he put it into evidence, then the fake bill would always have been in evidence and the real one in his possession. Since his was the next house the feds were likely to search and he would have no convincing explanation of how he had a better copy of the same bill, he spent it.

Here are the pics JohnS provided, with one of them flipped over so that the numbers are right-side up and both contrast-adjusted to make the numbers easier to read:

The Bar Bill

The Evidence Bill

Same serial number.

Regards,

Joe

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I was thinking that as well. And couldn't it potentially mean that now in present time, Dan is never even investigated? Meaning, since a lot of the bills are now "out there" since the 70's, the twenty that Jack got from Dan wouldn't necessarily have been flagged by the Feds.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The $20 Jack got from Dan wasn't part of the hijack money. It was currency Dan just happened to have on his person that he gave to the cabbie.

Okay, I get you. If the hijacking money is never investigated, they will have no reason to look into Jack's past cases, so they won't ever look at the $20. I don't think the show will resolve it that easily.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Nope. :) See my post above. The bills have been "out there" since the hijacking in 1975, too, that didn't prevent Dan from being investigated. The bills Dan left at the robbery scene were the "missing" bills that have never surfaced. If the robbery took place before the hijacking, the serial numbers wouldn't have returned any hits if entered in any database, and probably wouldn't have been entered in any database themselves as they were not "missing" and were just evidence in a local robbery case. If the robbery took place after the hijacking they would have been identified as coming from the ransom, but since all the robbers were dead, the trail would have gone cold. Dan's bill - which was not left at the robbery scene - would still be evidence in an on-going investigation and put him under suspicion. Leaving the bills in the past changes nothing except that the FBI can no longer discover that the large stash of bills that he was hiding.

Regards,

Joe

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the pics. I think we're all on the same page now, which is that:

Jack is paying with the original bill, which IS the evidence bill, and Jack WILL get in trouble for stealing evidence. The fed told Jack the original bill is missing simply because the Fed can't accept the time-defying fact that the evidence bill had a signature from the future on it. Jack never copied anything, and his ass is uncovered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks