What's new

Joker: Folie à deux (1 Viewer)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Financially, I can see why this was approved for production. But the first one was enough. What a depressing story.

Forget the whole DC "universe": DC goes in 100 directions just with the Batman character alone: Joker movies unrelated to Batman; a scrapped Batgirl movie; multiple actors portraying Batman simultaneously in different movies and shows (Batman, Justice League, Suicide Squad, Titans and Flash); a bunch of Batman related TV shows few are excited about (Gotham, Pennywise, Batwoman, Titans). It seems I heard a random Penguin movie or series is being considered, but maybe I'm imagining this.

If they could get it together, there is a wonderful universe to be built just around Batman, but they keep doing this stuff. I guess it's making them money and that's all they care about. But it's a shame. I haven't enjoyed any of it since the Nolan movies (the Snyder cut of Justice League was pretty awesome).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It seems I heard a random Penguin movie or series is being considered, but maybe I'm imagining this.
You're not. The Penguin show is for HBO Max and will be a spinoff of The Batman starring Colin Farrell reprising his role form that film.
If they could get it together, there is a wonderful universe to be built just around Batman, but they keep doing this stuff.
I don't see a problem with running The Batman (Matt Reeves) universe and Joker simultaneously. The marketing teams will have to work a little bit to explain to general audiences what's connected and what's not. But both Joker and The Batman were generally very well received by audiences, so I don't see what's wrong with running them in parallel.

The other ones running right now I have no comment on as I'm not engaged with both. But I loved The Batman and can't wait for more of that, and I also liked Joker. If both can come up with good continuations, then why not?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
You're not. The Penguin show is for HBO Max and will be a spinoff of The Batman starring Colin Farrell reprising his role form that film.

I don't see a problem with running The Batman (Matt Reeves) universe and Joker simultaneously. The marketing teams will have to work a little bit to explain to general audiences what's connected and what's not. But both Joker and The Batman were generally very well received by audiences, so I don't see what's wrong with running them in parallel.

The other ones running right now I have no comment on as I'm not engaged with both. But I loved The Batman and can't wait for more of that, and I also liked Joker. If both can come up with good continuations, then why not?

I guess one could argue that "Joker" didn't come out in the midst of a new Batman series, but it followed "Justice League" by only 2 years, so it's not like Bats had been dormant.

People seemed to accept that "Joker" existed in some kind of alternate universe, not the one depicted in the DCEU.

So I'm pretty sure people will get that "Joker 2" and "The Batman 2" aren't connected.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Financially, I can see why this was approved for production. But the first one was enough. What a depressing story.

Forget the whole DC "universe": DC goes in 100 directions just with the Batman character alone: Joker movies unrelated to Batman; a scrapped Batgirl movie; multiple actors portraying Batman simultaneously in different movies and shows (Batman, Justice League, Suicide Squad, Titans and Flash); a bunch of Batman related TV shows few are excited about (Gotham, Pennywise, Batwoman, Titans). It seems I heard a random Penguin movie or series is being considered, but maybe I'm imagining this.

If they could get it together, there is a wonderful universe to be built just around Batman, but they keep doing this stuff. I guess it's making them money and that's all they care about. But it's a shame. I haven't enjoyed any of it since the Nolan movies (the Snyder cut of Justice League was pretty awesome).

I agree. Perhaps Zaslav has abandoned tidying it up with a single universe. This multiverse where anything goes (as long as it makes money) does nothing for me. Still, as long as we have the Nolan films to replay, I'm happy.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
First look

Fo-V0KeacAA8ArY

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I'll never understand the need to compartmentalize the Batman universe. Partly because I have always liked the Batman character so much, and because I like everything neat, orderly, and connected. But like you say it is working in the favor of WB, so more power to them I suppose.
I imagine at some point In this wildly successful "Joker" franchise we will probably get a quick tease of Batman, or the batmobile in which the audience will explode with cheer.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I imagine at some point In this wildly successful "Joker" franchise we will probably get a quick tease of Batman, or the batmobile in which the audience will explode with cheer.

Considering that we saw Bruce as a young kid in the first film, they'd have to do a fairly significant time jump in order to include that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.