What's new

Johnny Guitar - what happened to the promised release? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Back in April, it was reported that Paramount were going to release 'Johnny Guitar' in Region 1 this week. However, it seems to be a no-show. Does anyone know what happened - are they still planning to release it at a later date?

Jace_A

Second Unit
The recent Mommie Dearest DVD release contained numerous (ie every time a clip from the film is shown) references to Johnny Guitar as being available on Paramount DVD.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Looks like I was wise to burn a DVD-R from the last Encores-Western showing of the film. It looked superb, by the way.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
I assume the same also applies to the proposed release of Letter from an Unknown Woman earlier this year that never materialized either?

Rats, I was really looking forward to both of these (as well as A Double Life which is now also MIA).

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Paramount HV has a new leader, and the word I got from a friend who has been there for years is that the new chief has disdain for classics, and only wants to focus on more recent product. I can't say this is fact, it's only what I was told. She also said that Paramount decided to re-up with the Republic library to Lion's Gate, rather than take that library back into its own operation.

It does makes sense that these comments are (sad but,) true, given that Par announced all those titles that used to be owned by Republic (indeed Par owns them now, because of the Viacom purchase) which were announced, were abruptly cancelled.

It looks like Lion's Gate will get a renewal after all....and we'll never get to see a DVD of ACE IN THE HOLE, etc.

The gal now running Paramount Home Video obviously is, to borrow the title from one of their movies...CLUELESS!

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Very sad indeed Roger - thanks for the news. To think of any studio still sitting on unreleased Bogart titles (and what an unreleased one it is... The African Queen).... leaves me absolutely speechless.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This is more than sad, Roger, it is disheartening.

Who is this person? I'm willing to write her a letter (respectful of course) gently reminding her that there is a market for these classics.

Steve

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
What's their position on licensing stuff out to the highest bidder under said new ownership?

Would a Criterion released-distr. Republic or Paramount title ever be a possibility in the future?

Wilder's 'Ace In The Hole' or Sturges 'Hail The Conquering Hero' spring immediately to mind as worthy candidates...

Why would they be opposed to contracting these films to another production house or studio if they themselves are not willing to do anything with them? At least they'd profit marginally, since they obviously feel releasing good movies is too risky a venture and would rather stick exclusively to stupid-named special edition reissues of John Hughes comedies.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Hail The Conquering Hero is Universal. I'm glad we got The Miracle of Morgan's Creek before Paramount changed their management...

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Looks like I will give up hope of ever seeing Paramount release those seven promised John Wayne films, that were due to come out this past May...

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I attended a Tribeca Film Festival showing of the Republic film Fair Wind To Java on May 6. Martin Scorcese did the introduction to the restored version of the film, and he specifically mentioned Johnny Guitar as in the process of being restored, but that it was taking a very long time due to the type of film on which both Fair Wind To Java and Johnny Guitar was shot. There still may be studio issues, but this is what he said just a few months ago.

By the way, pray that Fair Wind To Java comes on DVD some day, talk about a camp classic. Vera Rhuba Ralston - aka the Czech-born wife of Republic Studio head Herbert Yates - has to be seen to be believed as Kim Kim, the island born native girl.

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
You mean the Universal DVD from the UK? It's not stunning. The German DVD from Kinowelt is the first choice. Look at this comparison.

"Johnny Guitar" wasn't filmed in Technicolor, it was filmed in Trucolor. It was invented in 1948 as a 2-color-system and used Eastman Two-Color Print Safety Film Type 5380. In 1951 it was developed to a 3-color-system using DuPont Color Positive Film Type 275. From 1953 on they used Eastman Color Print Film Type 5382.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

From what I have found, thru Variety and other online sources, Meagan Burrows is the "domestic president of home entertainment" at Paramount Home Video.

Jeff Rosen

Grip
We ran "Johnny Guitar" in 35mm back in May this year. We booked the print through Paramount. It looks like the home video division has little interest in handling the vault titles. Paramount has 35mm prints on many of the old NTA ? Republic library. We also booked "Invasion of the Body snatchers". Both prints we received were virtually brand new lab prints. As usual the people in theatrical distribution have little discussion with the people on the video side. Another older title we're playing in Los Angeles in August from Paramount is "If..." with a new print of "O Lucky Man" from Warners. Try finding either of those on a legit DVD.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Grim news, but there is at least a silver lining - Buttery Jeb over at the Criterion Forum came across early copies of Criterion's Kicking and Screaming on store shelves and according to the back of the case it's been licensed directly from Lionsgate. If Lionsgate and Criterion are starting a relationship, it's possible we could see some titles licensed from the Republic library.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I can't read Dutch so can someone please help me out and tell me whether the screen caps from the NON-Universal R2 DVD release have the altered language-text logo screens and opening/closing cards?

Does it depend on the soundtrack option you chose (English/German) or is the transfer sourced solely from German prints with the "Ende" and "Eine Republic-Film..." cards?

Thanks!

PS - What are the chances of seeing this ported over to R1 with the same extras, etc?

PPS - How do either of these versions reviewed on DVDuell.de compare to this R2 disc from France:

Comparison-wise in terms of the video transfer, soundtrack options, extra features (the R2 German disc has some interesting interviews with Sterling Hayden and Scorsese), etc...

Also, I'd like to know about the logos and opening/closing cards on this disc as well, and whether trhey're presented int heir original English version?

Thanks!

M

Member 323668

The best available DVD transfer of "Johnny Guitar" is the German Kinowelt edition. A lot better than the Universal UK transfer.

The titles of the German "Kinowelt" DVD are the original titles, just the last couple of seconds at the end are from a German print. No big deal. Highly recommended. I love this DVD. Thanks to Christian for the graphic comparison.

http://www.amazon.de/Johnny-Guitar-G...dp/B000089P3K/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks