What's new

Johnny Guitar - what happened to the promised release? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Johannes, but how does the Kinowelt version compare to the French (not German-Universal) release?

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Post edited by Administrator, please, do not post again. Thank you.

Does anyone have any info regarding an R1 release, before I go off and buy this?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Being that this is a Paramount controlled title, I wouldn't count on it. They are clueless beyond all call.

It's a shame that the most historic of all the major studios is the one that cares the least about it's legacy. A true shame.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I made a PAL to NTSC conversion of JOHNNY GUITAR from the German DVD, slowing it down from 25fps to 24fps, and the quality is AMAZING - so much sharper and colorful than the one they show on Encores. I fixed the end credits going over to the German print also - but both this German DVD and the UK DVD have a blue background for the opening credits while the one I see on Encores! has the credits over footage.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've never seen JOHNNY GUITAR's opening credits any way other than credits over live footage.

Your DVD must be something because, honestly, that Encores telecast looks the best I've EVER seen JOHNNY GUITAR look (Trucolor always looked kind of muddy to me).

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Interesting title card on the R2 release. Like Matt mentioned, the only way I've ever seen the opening credits was over a beautiful blue sky, with white clouds.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched my Encores/JOHNNY GUITAR last night. Yep, your disc is sharper and the color is richer, particularly skin tones. (Did Joan Crawford have the cinematographer film her close-ups with a slightly soft focus? It seemed that way to me last night as I watched though it could have looked soft simply because I was mentally comparing it with Chuck's screen caps.)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I just set my desktop background with the openng title card (the one you provided with the blue background). Looks really cool...thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks