Johnny Be Good PG-13 or R?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jason Stocker, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Jason Stocker

According to the back of the case of "Johnny Be Good", it states that the film is rated R and runs 86 Mins. According to the IMDB, It runs 91 Mins. Can anyone confirm if this is the original PG-13 version or the re-edited R version?

2. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Stunt Coordinator

I would also like to know this too

3. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Got it last night, it's edited. I'm keeping my laserdisc version. The whole 'old tex' scenes (strip club) is heavily edited, and the scene after they stop to pick up more beer (and run into the old football player, can't remember his name) is completely cut (where they're all drunk with girls back at a frat house).

Very disappointing

4. Martin_T

Martin_T Stunt Coordinator

This is pretty sad news considering that I just recently bought the movie. [​IMG]

5. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    There were two versions of this film. The theatrical release was PG-13. The later VHS video release was rated R. As far as I know, the only difference between the PG-13 and R versions is that the strip club scene is longer and exposes more nudity.

6. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

7. John Goodwin

John Goodwin Stunt Coordinator

They couldnt even be bothered to release this one in widescreen aswell as 4:3,so i doubt theyd bother to do that [​IMG]

Poor treatment of a catalog film ,another reason not to buy it then i guess.[​IMG]

8. John Goodwin

I just read over at DVDAnswers that MGM is releasing Johnny B Good in region 2 on the 24th January.

No indication of the aspect ratio on any of the online retailers ive looked at so far,but it is rated certificate 15.

The version i had on VHS was cert 15 i think,so hopefully it will be the unedited version ,complete with strip club scene etc.

If this is a widescreen release,and most r2 stuff is,this may solve a problem for some of you with multi region players.

9. John Goodwin

Hmm just got my r2 copy,its widescreen-but it is also the edited version-no extended ol' tex strip club scene,or the frat house scene either . [​IMG]

10. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    It was also put out by MGM in Hong Kong a few years ago. If I remeber correctly it was 1.33. Not sure which version of the film though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was from the LD transfer, which means it would be the longer but I haven't actually seen the disc to verify this.

Johnny Be Good HK release