What's new

JMlab Electra Series Loudspeakers (1 Viewer)

David-TF

Agent
Just wondering if anybody has auditioned or own the Electra 926,936, or 946 series from JMlab? If so what speakers did you audition them against and how did they compare. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Scott_N

Second Unit
I auditioned the 936's against Dali Grand Diva's and Tetra Space's and ended up buying the Space's. The 936's are pretty neutral and have nice bass but for my taste they were a little forward. I found the Space's to be more transparent and much more clear in the midrange.

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I compared them (926) in the same room with Studio 100's and they were definately better at the subtle details and imaging etc. However, they were also hooked up to a $9,000 BAT amp! Still, they're excellent speakers, I just thought that for over 2 grand less, the Studio's were MORE then adaquate. Really, it seems like when you get past the 2-4 grand price range, it's certainly not night and day with speakers. You pay much more each step up for subtle improvements. Sometimes, the build quality and expensive wood enclosures shoot the price up, but don't necessarily reflect the difference in sound. Not always true of course..but let's just say that I left the store that day quite happy that I didn't spend 2 grand more for anything subtle.

David-TF

Agent
i have compared the 936s with B&W N802s and to my ears are a much better value for $2500.00 less. Not as bright as the 802s and much better low end. Thanks for your replies and if anyone else has compared them with any other brands please chime in.

David-TF

Agent
Scott, wish i could but in my neck of the woods without packing a lunch and driving a couple hundred miles its not possible.

Scott_N

Second Unit
I do feel lucky my dealer carries over 20 different brands of speakers. Good luck in your choice whatever it is.

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't heard any of the Electra floor standers enough to give a good opinion, but I have heard the 906's. I've compared them to B&W 805's and Totem Mani 2's. Out of the three, the Totem's were the best. They were the most neutral and had an incredible bass response. The JM's came next. Not as much bass as the Mani's, and the top end was a little bit more revealing, almost to the point of being bright. The B&W's were my least favorite of the three because the bass was a little loose compared to the JM's and the Totem's. Plus the top end was a tad bright.

In the end, I bought the 906's because they were the cheapest of the three, and on top of that, the store stopped carrying JMlab, so they were clearing out the rest of the models. I got them for 30% off. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks