What's new

Jesse Jackson vs MGM : Barbershop dvd cuts (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Oscar,
I've edited your post because you need to use links instead of posting the whole article from another site like Digitalbits or DVDFile. Thank you. I hope this thread stays non-political without me having to close this thread like the last one on this subject matter.

Crawdaddy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Crawdaddy
You are right about this as I forget to do this.
Good to see that MGM won't cave in to this.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
This was the funniest part...

when Jackson complained to USA Today that the film denigrated important historical African-American icons, including Martin Luther King, Jr., and Rosa Parks, and that the filmmakers should exercise self-censorship and remove the offending material from upcoming VHS and DVD releases of the film.
How can you ask someone else to practice "self censorship"? Doesn't the fact that you have to ask them indicate that it isn't initiated by their "selves"?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I guess Jackson doesn't have any more meaningful fights on his docket for a while.

In the film the character was berated for his statements, wasn't he?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I realize that a similar thread was locked because people couldn't avoid making comments that should not have been made; however, the thread tackled the question of "Will the 'BarberShop' DVD be modified.

It looks like MGM is going to keep the scene intact, so I would assume that it's for the DVD as well.

If you're going to talk about this afterwards, please keep it civil so that it doesn't get locks.

MGM Won't Alter 'Barbershop' Scene
Sep 26, 10:42 PM (ET)
By ANTHONY BREZNICAN

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Despite the threat of a boycott by the Rev. Al Sharpton, MGM says it will not remove a scene from the hit comedy "Barbershop" that mocks civil rights leaders Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks.

Sharpton said Thursday he would meet with supporters over the weekend to discuss whether to organize a boycott. He had asked that the studio explore changes to the scene for video and DVD.

The director, screenwriter and producers have apologized for causing offense, but defended their right to poke fun. The studio says it will back the filmmakers.

"We have no intention of altering the film in any way," MGM said in a statement Wednesday. "The filmmakers obviously struck a winning chord with critics and audiences alike, and we are already at work on the sequel."

MGM's vice chairman, Chris McGurk, said he had not considered meeting with Sharpton. He maintained the studio would not be forced to censor its film, but said of objectors: "They're entitled to their point of view."

"Barbershop," which stars Ice Cube, is about the importance of a barbershop hangout in a black neighborhood in Chicago. It has topped the U.S. box office for two weeks and earned more than $38.4 million.

The scene in question features a cranky barber named Eddie, played by Cedric the Entertainer, deliberately breaking taboos by saying Rodney King deserved to be beaten, O.J. Simpson was guilty of murder and Parks was not the only one who refused to give up a bus seat reserved for whites.

"Eddie, not only is what you're saying not true, it is wrong and disrespectful for you to discuss Rosa Parks in that way," one character responds.

"Is this a barbershop?" Eddie responds. "If we can't talk straight in the barbershop, then where can we talk straight? ... You know this ain't nothing but healthy conversation. Ain't nobody exempt in the barbershop. You can talk about whoever, and whatever, whenever you want to."

The character then directs an expletive at the Rev. Jesse Jackson. Later, he makes unflattering remarks about King's alleged promiscuity.

The scene also outraged Jackson, who has said King's family was offended.

Sharpton said Thursday he was angry that MGM would not meet with him to hear his grievances. "It's one thing to disagree, it's another to say we won't even talk about it," he said.

The controversy has prompted debate among moviegoers.

Stacey Gilchrist, 31, of Washington said she thought Sharpton and Jackson's complaints were "petty."

"I didn't find it offensive at all and I think they're going to get a reverse action," she said. "This is just going to make people want to go see it more."

Gilchrist said she wants to see the movie again so she can pay closer attention to that scene. "I missed a lot because people were laughing," she said.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

I've been in a black barbershop or two in my day and it is all about some healthy conversation. I haven't seen the film but my parents did and mom thought the scene was unnecessarily disrespectful. I've yet to hear anyone call for censorship of guys talking shit for a scene filmed in a lockerroom or on a construction site and this is no different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks