What's new

Jaws 2 (1978) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
A question that’s occurred to me over the last few years…

Why was Mike Brody (conveniently) removed from the climactic sequence following the first attack on the kids? He’s not some minor kid character - he’s Chief Brody’s older son! All through the film he has a prominent presence, but then is absent from the finale.

I know the script gave him a way, but was there an off-screen reason? This was also the actor Mark Gruner’s last acting role, so I’m wondering if there was a reason.
I've wondered the same thing. There's nothing particularly wrong with the actor's performance so I'm inclined to guess that they felt that one endangered son was enough to make it high stakes for Brody.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Marc Gilpin who played Sean Brody has died at age 56 of glioblastoma. So sad. RIP

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Sad news. I'm not too familiar with MG's work outside of Jaws 2, but at the same time I'm sure I saw him in at least a couple of TV series/movie over the years - especially given that I'm a fan of '70's/'80's TV & cinema.

R.I.P.

I didnt realize his sister was actress who played Roz on Frasier.

Never knew this either.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Just re-watched Jaws 2. Excellent film; though not as iconic as the first, I'm appreciating this more with each subsequent viewing.

One of the most intense scenes was when Chief Brody (Scheider), his wife Ellen, and Deputy Hendricks find the remains of the boat that Tina & Eddie were in. Tina is the sole survivor. And, wide-eyed with terror - she is obviously severely traumatized by the shark attack & Eddie's death. When she is being comforted by Brody & Ellen, she has an obviously delayed reaction & hysterically starts screaming "Shark!!", as if the attack were still happening. Now, that's good acting!!!

Also, the scene with the group of kids/teens (including Brody's two sons) in several boats being attacked by the shark, being stranded, and the being attacked again (when Brody was trying to save them) was also very tense & disturbing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Also, the scene with the group of kids/teens (including Brody's two sons) in several boats being attacked by the shark...
The shot of the shark almost getting the unconscious Mike as they pull him into the boat is amazing. (No, I don't give a shit that you can see the hydraulic in the shark's mouth :laugh:)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
The shot of the shark almost getting the unconscious Mike as they pull him into the boat is amazing. (No, I don't give a shit that you can see the hydraulic in the shark's mouth :laugh:)

Honestly, I didn't even notice the hydraulic until this post - and I've seen the film at least twice. I think I was focusing more on whether or not Mike got into the boat without getting eaten. I'm sure I'll notice the hydraulic now, though ;)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, I didn't even notice the hydraulic until this post - and I've seen the film at least twice. I think I was focusing more on whether or not Mike got into the boat without getting eaten. I'm sure I'll notice the hydraulic now, though ;)

i know when I watched the Blu-Ray, the hydraulic didn’t seem to be as noticeable as other presentations/formats

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm usually more distracted by the shark's jaw folding up when it brushes the boat. But it's still a very tense scene.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
People in my audience went nuts during that scene in 1978. Remember it vividly to this day.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
People in my audience went nuts during that scene in 1978. Remember it vividly to this day.
That, and the scene where the shark rises from below and behind Marge to swallow her whole as she's helping Sean get back up on the overturned boat, but cannot get up herself.

Those are the two most memorable scenes for me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That, and the scene where the shark rises from below and behind Marge to swallow her whole as she's helping Sean get back up on the overturned boat, but cannot get up herself.

Those are the two most memorable scenes for me.
A third to me is the brief shots of the (real) shark moving forward to pull the water skier down and her moving around underwater.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have no idea how you could stage this, being that you are watching a movie called "jaws", but I always thought it would have been clever to somehow develop the script so that it looks like Brody was unhinged. The first half of the movie would be "Is there a shark or isn't there?" - don't reveal to the audience the presence of the monster at all - until the back half of the flick. Somehow keep all the boat accidents and incidents in the first half somehow plausible and explainable in a non-shark way.
All you'd have to do to make this work is call the movie "Jaws?" The tag line could be, "This time, it's questionable."

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
i know when I watched the Blu-Ray, the hydraulic didn’t seem to be as noticeable as other presentations/formats
Ya know I just rewatched that scene on the digital 4K version and I didn’t see the hydraulics. Perhaps it was edited out like the original Jaws was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks