What's new

Pre-Order Jaws 2 (1978) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Has anyone purchased this and redeemed their digital code yet? Wondering if it redeemed in 4K as I see it hasn’t upgraded yet in iTunes.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I had a problem with the original mono on the blu-ray. I heard constantly little pops/clicks here and there (I have a sensitive ear due to being a musician).
The dubs on the blu-ray, and/or the original audio on the DVD didn't have those audio distortions.
I hope that's not the case here and it's "fixed".

Here they are if anyone can hear:
(the pops are not so pronounced here due to youtube's compression)
at 0.11'', 0.15'', 0.18'', 0.28'', 0.31'', 0.36'' etc.

Has anyone received their disc?
I wonder if the original mono is the same as on the blu-ray, with those constant pops/clicks..

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
OK so I redeemed through Movies Anywhere. They have it in 4K. However when you head over to Apple it is still only available in HD.
I’m going to guess that it redeemed in 4K and shows you have 4K ownership but is still not available for 4K playback. If Movies Anywhere had it available in 4K the app would likely show the note: “If purchased in 4K Movies Anywhere supports playback in HDR”. It doesn’t have that which means it either is not available yet in 4K, or else it lacks HDR.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This film looks spectacular in 4K. At least as good as Jaws.

I didn’t notice any popping on the soundtrack, which unfortunately I thought was dull and lifeless. An Atmos remastering would have been nice if possible. Or at least in stereo as it apparently is on the current digital iTunes version.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

I didn’t notice any popping on the soundtrack, which unfortunately I thought was dull and lifeless. An Atmos remastering would have been nice if possible. Or at least in stereo as it apparently is on the current digital iTunes version.
What makes you think iTunes is in stereo? To my knowledge Jaws 2 has never been anything but mono. The DVD, Blu-ray and now 4K disc have all been mono.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Jaws 2 is encoded as stereo but is dual mono. I guess there's some underlying technical reason as to why Universal can't or won't try to give it a true stereo track. Probably junked stems.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What makes you think iTunes is in stereo? To my knowledge Jaws 2 has never been anything but mono. The DVD, Blu-ray and now 4K disc have all been mono.
1688981806940.jpeg

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Maybe I have a faulty memory, but I watched this not too long ago, and I got a little annoyed at the Mayor’s under reaction to another possible shark situation. Am I right that Scheider had to strongly argue with Hamilton, after the previous incidents?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I have a faulty memory, but I watched this not too long ago, and I got a little annoyed at the Mayor’s under reaction to another possible shark situation. Am I right that Scheider had to strongly argue with Hamilton, after the previous incidents?
That's accurate but to be fair to Mayor Vaughn, lightning doesn't strike twice so, unlike the first movie, I can understand that he thinks that Brody is paranoid.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
That's accurate but to be fair to Mayor Vaughn, lightning doesn't strike twice so, unlike the first movie, I can understand that he thinks that Brody is paranoid.

Less direct evidence of another shark that time as well. Also they did call in a marine biologist to check out the whale carcass (though I find it a bit hard to believe she couldn’t determine whether the whale had been attacked by another whale or a shark). I’ve heard people say Jaws II would have been a more interesting film had it not reveled too soon the presence of another shark and let the audience wonder if Brody was really suffering from PTSD. But I supposed that would have been way too risky for the box office if the movie went in that direction

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The direct conflict is mostly between Brody and developer/council member Len Peterson who has just opened a new beachside hotel. But Mayor Vaughn doesn't really support Brody when he starts talking about closing the beaches because of a new shark. He tries to get Brody to back off a bit, as he can see the council starting to think Brody is unhinged and wanting to fire him, but does not really defend him, either.

Robert Saccone

Premium

Maybe they are setting us up for another purchase to get a redone soundtrack in Atmos somewhere down the line. 😎. Actually a commentary track by Jeanot S. would have be cool.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The direct conflict is mostly between Brody and developer/council member Len Peterson who has just opened a new beachside hotel. But Mayor Vaughn doesn't really support Brody when he starts talking about closing the beaches because of a new shark. He tries to get Brody to back off a bit, as he can see the council starting to think Brody is unhinged and wanting to fire him, but does not really defend him, either.

Admittedly the council was right to fire him after that scene he crated on the beach. He was even using cyanide tipped bullets. At the very least he needed to have been suspended and ordered to seek counseling
Mayor Vaughn actually objects to firing Brody in a deleted scene.

I never understood why they deleted that scene, it’s not like it would have made a significant impact to the runtime. I and I’m sure many of us first saw this movie on TV where that scene was present and the when saw the theatrical cut was surprised to see that part was there (as well as the extended helicopter attach scene which ironically was cut from the theatrical version to avoid an R rating).

But it is sad Vaughn being the only opposed vote was cut. Made a nice final scene for him and shows that even though he and Brody often butted heads, Vaughn still likes Brody
Actually a commentary track by Jeanot S. would have be cool.
I was always surprised that Universal gave Jaws II as good of a special edition as it got

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

As I think I put in my review of the movie, "Jaws 2" would benefit with a question about the existence of the shark longer than it does.

I mean, we know right away that there is another Great White a-chompin' away off the waters of Amity, so there's no mystery.

A better movie would dig into the psychological factor and make us wonder if Brody's nuts.

But "Jaws 2" is basically just "'Jaws With Kids" so it didn't aspire to that kind of complexity.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Maybe they are setting us up for another purchase to get a redone soundtrack in Atmos somewhere down the line. 😎. Actually a commentary track by Jeanot S. would have be cool.

I'll be shocked if this isn't the end of the physical media road for "Jaws 2".

If they wanted to make a version with more bonus materials and a multi-channel remix, they'd have done it.

This isn't an evergreen property that can be milked endlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks