What's new

Janet Cardiff - "Forty-Part Motet" (1 Viewer)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
In a word, awesome!
Last week I had the pleasure of visiting Cardiff's works on display in Montreal. Her work which stuck me the most, and is relevant to this forum, is her "Forty-Part Motet".
Basically, it's a large room with 40 B&W 303 speakers on stands, forming a circle, pointing inward. The speakers are grouped into 8 sets of 5, each representing a different choir. In most cases, each speaker represents a single voice. All the choirs are collaborating to sing "Spem in alium" by Thomas Tallis, a 16'th century work.
The listener is encouraged to walk around the area, either listening to individual voices, or taking in the work as a whole.
It was an incredible surround sound experience. We spend more than an hour in the room, just listening in awe!
I just need to get 35 more speakers... :)
If you ever get a chance to visit this work, I highly recommend it!
More info: http://www.abbeymedia.com/Janweb/40motet.html
Martin.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I walked past that new exhibit a few times, but never properly experienced it. The wife said it would drive me nuts, since "audience participation" is the sole reason I don't go to movie theaters.

Enjoy!

Martin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks