1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Janet Cardiff - "Forty-Part Motet"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Rendall, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

In a word, awesome!
    Last week I had the pleasure of visiting Cardiff's works on display in Montreal. Her work which stuck me the most, and is relevant to this forum, is her "Forty-Part Motet".
    Basically, it's a large room with 40 B&W 303 speakers on stands, forming a circle, pointing inward. The speakers are grouped into 8 sets of 5, each representing a different choir. In most cases, each speaker represents a single voice. All the choirs are collaborating to sing "Spem in alium" by Thomas Tallis, a 16'th century work.
    The listener is encouraged to walk around the area, either listening to individual voices, or taking in the work as a whole.
    It was an incredible surround sound experience. We spend more than an hour in the room, just listening in awe!
    I just need to get 35 more speakers... [​IMG]
    If you ever get a chance to visit this work, I highly recommend it!
    More info: http://www.abbeymedia.com/Janweb/40motet.html
    Martin.

2. GregClarke

GregClarke Stunt Coordinator

3. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I walked past that new exhibit a few times, but never properly experienced it. The wife said it would drive me nuts, since "audience participation" is the sole reason I don't go to movie theaters.

Enjoy!

Martin.