What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

JAMES BOND ULTIMATE COLLECTION (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Tomorrow Never Dies isolated score did make it to the R2 Ultimate edition, I know I listened to it recently.

And yep it was great to see an R2 Licence to Kill even more uncut than the R1 edition, even if it was just a few seconds. ;)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Well, if Fox continues its Blu-Ray trend we probably will see lossless audio on these releases. The trouble would be with MGM as all of their Blu-Ray titles distributed through Fox are (so far) MPEG-2 and only BD25 media, even though they will have DTS Master Audio tracks like Fox's own releases. It's as if MGM only gets their stuff half right. Perhaps by the time the Bond titles are available on HD they'll finally have switched to VC-1 or H.264.

Dan

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
First, let me tell you that I am not THAT big of a fan to buy this release.

I want to ask you all of you, why buy this release since every a few years a new bond movie is released? Sure you'll buy this collection with the case and all but in 5-6 years you'll have 2 more films that wont fit in the case!

Patrick H.

Second Unit
One easy solution: Take all the movies out, put them in chronological order, ditch the boxes. ;)

Actually, this seems a fairly logical spot to grab a complete set of the films to date, as we're currently in "Bond turnover." The Brosnan "era" has ended, and the upcoming Craig picture looks like it's going to be establishing its own continuity.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Thanks for the link Jim. That's the best set of comparisons I've seen for the new Bonds.

The early films really do look stunning, and Dr. No has an amazing amount of extra picture information.

I still can't work out the reason for the zoomed-in picture on GoldenEye though...

Greg Black

Second Unit

Thanks for that link, Jim. Those screenshots really illustrate what a mixed bag these new transfers are. Some of the movies like Moonraker are massive improvements, while others have been ruined, most notably GoldenEye. Even different scenes in the same movie have differing levels of quality. A couple of major flaws to me are the changed color of the beginning of OHMSS, and the girl painted gold in Goldfinger looks rather silver now.

Jim-M

Second Unit
I think the reviews at michaeldvd.com.au are useful when looking at the screenshots from filmz.dk. Some you might think look a little sketchy, but the michaeldvd review will say in no uncertain terms that it is excellent when viewing. So I don't think the screenshots always tell the full story.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I am wondering if anyone has heard about an exclusive disc / extras from any of the US retailers. As Best Buy has done some in the past releases. I was hoping that they may possibly be doing an exclusive for the Ultimate Edtion Bond sets.

Has anyone heard this or know if they will offer something?

Thanks!

Frank@N

Screenwriter
They better not strip extras off the R2 releases and force us to buy at BB in order get them back.

Plus, who wants anther freakin' disc with only 15 minutes on it.

Dave - A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
According to commanderbond.net R2 will be getting actor specific box sets for Connery, Moore and Brosnan while we continue to get the shaft here in R1.

http://commanderbond.net/article/3700

This would be perfect for me as personally I have no use for the post-Moore films. The Dalton and Brosnan movies just don't have that "Bondness" that the older ones have.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Please post any R1 reviews that pop up.

Also surprised that DVD Beaver didn't do comparisons on all the Ultimate releases (instead of just FRWL), I though evaluating this kind of remastering/tweaking was their thing...

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm intensely interested in any early R1 comparison reviews. If I come across one I'll post a link.

This is a big chuck of money for me to drop on flawed releases (which I hope is not the case). Before I pull the trigger and order these sets I'm definitely going to want to read a few comparison reviews.

James@R

Second Unit

Thanks for the link. I'm primarily interested in the extras- particularly the Moore commentaries- so it's nice to see a review of those.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Yeah, thanks for the link, JulianK. Some of the caps from the SE do look a bit sharper than the UE.

On a side note...sorry if this has been discussed before...but what was so controversial about the commentary on the Criterion Dr. No LD? Who got dissed? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks