What's new

JAMES BOND ULTIMATE COLLECTION (1 Viewer)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I've watched a little more than half of the new R2 set, and I must say that, with the exception of Goldeneye, every one of the films I've seen (I've watched mostly just the older ones) looks much improved from the old DVDs. I am especially at a loss as to why everyone is freaking out about the opening of OHMSS. For one thing, I don't agree with some of the coloring I've seen of the screen-shots, and I'd be curious to know how they are being created. But what I see in that opening sequence is, finally, consistancy on the color timing of all the shots that make up that scene. In previous home video versions (most notoriously the laserdisc), they never seem to be able to decide if they're doing day-for-night, day-for-dawn, magic hour, etc. It used to vary wildly between light blue and deep purple. Now, the scene actually looks like a continous piece of action, not like a bunch of cobbled-together shots clearly all shot on different days. I give kudos to Lowry's team for their great job on OHMSS.

My only real complaint has been with some of the really stupid ideas that went into some of these 5.1 remixes. They really grate on me. I may have to replace a handful of these titles if and when the R1s are ever available for individual sale just for the original mixes.

-Lyle J.P.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Well, at least those interested in buying the entire collection won't have to wait as long to do so. Hopefully this will hasten individual releases as well.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
This is really annoying. I only want Goldfinger, The Living Daylights, and Goldeneye. The others I wouldn't mind trying out via netflix, though.

I know these had a lot of work put into them, but Universal put out a 14-film box set of Alfred Hitchcock movies for the same price as just one of the four 5-movie volumes. Maybe it's not a good comparision, but I'm irked that they want $90 MSRP for five films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is my only criticism of Fox which is handling the distribution of MGM films. They apparently have brought over their price structure of boxsets to MGM dvds now. The only way consumers can change that policy is not to buy the dvds.

Crawdaddy

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
Well, at $18 a 2-disc set, it's not that shabby. Shop at a big chain or amazon, and you'll get 30% off that, meaning it's around $13.50 a title (for 2 discs).

perhaps we've just been spoiled with DVD lately, but that's not too shabby to me.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I've bought the r4 release of the Ultimate Collection - not happy about the lack of mono in our version, or the picture issues, or the non-burnt-in-subtitles, but I just gave in when I saw it in the shops. Besides, I don't have any of the previous releases.

Anyway, despite the problems, I'm enjoying rewatching the films - most of which I haven't seen in years.

My one disappointment - I searched through the Thunderball disc hoping for a copy of the titles with Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang as the song. I would have thought that would be an obvious special feature. But, despite a small snippet of that in one of the previously-released documentaries, they didn't include the full thing. Shame.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the bundled sets really take the shine off of what has been a much looked forward to release.

On the positive side, DDD should (hopefully) have a sale that hits right around the release of the first wave, which would likely mean about 40-45% off msrp- so figure about $50 per set for the first two.

If anyone wants You Only Live Twice, Goldfinger, Man With The Golden Gun, Octopussy, View To A Kill, or any of the Brosnan ones, let me know- I'll be putting em up for sale as soon as I take the shrink wrap off the boxes.

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason stocker
Could someone tell me if any of the original United Artists logos appear on these new discs? Also deepdiscountdvd has these sets up now for about $55 each.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I would love to see the original UA logos but they don't appear on the region 2 discs and I'm sure they won't be on R1 either because MGM always edit them out, substituting their modern version. I saw a TV broadcast recently of one of the Bond films, here in the UK, which actually DID have the original logo.

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator

You can usually rely on British television to run authentic period studio logos (though I don't actually understand why; perhaps their beta masters hold up really well...?). Was well miffed having watched Mr Majestyk on BBC1 several months back with original UA logo as the score played over it (figured that would be a safe bet), only to find when I bought the dvd that they'd substituted it for the current logo!! Grrrrr

I thought that ITV's Bond prints had succumbed lately to new logos but perhaps it depends on the film. I've kept my tapes of off-air recordings for this very reason so I have examples of original logos like the MGM lion in front of Octopussy that looks almost hand coloured and my favourite of all: the Transamerica blue T flower in front of Diamonds are Forever. Quality. And you can bet your next paycheque that you wont see them on dvd. On a related note a couple of years back they showed one of the later Connerys, left the tape running a few seconds after the end of the credits to show an ABC television broadcast presentation card. Cool.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I ordered 4 of the Region 2 Ultimate Edition titles.
I don't think anyone will be disappointed with these films. They look amazing with the new video remastering and also the DTS sound is great. They are a huge upgrade over the Special Editions.
I was amazed at how clean the picture looks now. Even the burn mark in Golden Gun has been removed. This is in the scene where Bond is in Q's lab and they are analyzing the bullet.

I am ordering all of the films in Region 1 DVD.

If anyone has questions on them, let me know. The titles I ordered are Diamonds Are Forever, Live and Let Die, The Man With The Golden Gun, and Moonraker.

Deep Discount DVD is listing the 2 November sets for $55 each. I am told that they run a 20% off sale in November so that would help with these sets too.

Here is the artwork for boxes

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I ordered 4 of the Region 2 Ultimate Edition titles.
I don't think anyone will be disappointed with these films. They look amazing with the new video remastering and also the DTS sound is great. They are a huge upgrade over the Special Editions.
I was amazed at how clean the picture looks now. Even the burn mark in Golden Gun has been removed. This is in the scene where Bond is in Q's lab and they are analyzing the bullet.

I am ordering all of the films in Region 1 DVD.

If anyone has questions on them, let me know. The titles I ordered are Diamonds Are Forever, Live and Let Die, The Man With The Golden Gun, and Moonraker.

Deep Discount DVD is listing the 2 November sets for $55 each. I am told that they run a 20% off sale in November so that would help with these sets too.

Here is the artwork for boxes 1 and 2:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...editions2.html

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the Patrick Macnee-narrated documentaries on the previous issues are carried over to the UE set? Or if they're on the R2 reissues? They were, to me, the highlight of the previous set. I often watch them apart from the movies. If they're not on the UE, then it's a no sale for me.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Yes, all but one of the "Inside..." documenteries have been carried over (Die Another Day is the exception).

-Lyle J.P.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

No, they only went as far as Licence to Kill. But there was a documentary called "Inside Die Another Day" on the original release that did not make it to the Ultimate Edition disc, so I thought I'd mention it.

Also, the isolated score on Tomorrow Never Dies didn't make it over, and the Goldeneye transfer is quite flawed. Really, the Brosnan films (with the exception of The World Is Not Enough) got the short end of the stick on these new releases. But the first 16 look and sound beautiful, and are chock full of great extras. And finally seeing what would have been the rated 'R' cut of Licence to Kill was terrific.

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks