What's new

James Bond 007 soundtracks - Golden Gun, Spy, Moonraker, View To a Kill & Octopussy (5 Viewers)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
@Neil S. Bulk loved the podcast! Thank you!
Loving the CDs too! Thank you!

Octopussy was the first James Bond film I ever saw. It’s a sentimental favorite. My mom passed away years ago but she bought me the soundtrack on lp which I still have too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My CDs arrived last night! The envelope was wet from the rain, but the discs were dry.

IMG_3088.jpeg

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
@Neil S. Bulk i found the restrictions or changes by mgm on the cd booklets interesting! I had no idea they would care so much about them! Did you have other ideas for what you wanted to do with them?

The quad mixes for Live and Let Die is so crazy. Can you clarify this a bit more? The original and reissues were taken from this mix?

I’m assuming the quad release fell out of favor before it could be released?

Was there 2 sets of tapes? One in quad mix and one in standard stereo?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You won’t be disappointed! I haven’t listened to live and let die yet but plan to this weekend.
Thanks, I look forward to it!

And I just listened to the podcast with Neil too. It was interesting to hear the clips from the Live and Let Die and Octopussy soundtracks. I was surprised to from the podcast that the tapes are louder now.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
@Neil S. Bulk i found the restrictions or changes by mgm on the cd booklets interesting! I had no idea they would care so much about them! Did you have other ideas for what you wanted to do with them?

The quad mixes for Live and Let Die is so crazy. Can you clarify this a bit more? The original and reissues were taken from this mix?

I’m assuming the quad release fell out of favor before it could be released?

Was there 2 sets of tapes? One in quad mix and one in standard stereo?
The only track on this release from the Quad album master is the alternate version of "Fillet Of Soul / Live And Let Die / Fillet Of Soul" track. The remainder of the score was re-mixed from the original 16-track tapes. The title song, "Just A Closer Walk With Thee / New Second Line" and the stereo album version of "Fillet Of Soul / Live And Let Die / Fillet Of Soul" are from the original album master.

If you're wondering if the entire score was mixed into Quad, no it wasn't. They re-did only the album for Quad. There were some differences in album edits and takes on that release, but it's all accounted for here.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Classic James Bond (1962-2002) Soundtrack Completion/Cue Number Seperation (In Composer's Original Score) Checklist:

I'll leave it up to the soundtrack experts to determine whether or not the CDs from MGM Records complete and report the conditions of the Music/M&E Masters/Tapes etc.

Legend:

✅ Complete
❌ Incomplete
? Unsure
LD: Criterion and MGM/UA
M&E: Music and Effects

Dr. No (1962) ❌ (M&E Track is available on the CC and MGM/UA LDs)
From Russia with Love (1963) [❌/?] (M&E Track is available on the MGM/UA LD [Connery Collection #1]). Note the film tracks music from "Dr. No" during Bond and Tania's escape in 2 scenes
Goldfinger (1964) ❌ (M&E Track is available on the CC and MGM/UA LDs)
Thunderball (1965) [?] Since the film has two Mono Mixes and a 5.1 mix created by MiCasa Multimedia for it's 2006 UE release, Cue number separation is required in order to put them where the Composer originally intended where they should be placed in order to have pauses rather than putting the next number (only applies to scenes with one music number in a scene before next).
You Only Live Twice (1967) [?] Cue number separation is required in order to put them where the Composer originally intended where they should be placed, etc.
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) [?] Cue number separation is required in order to put them where the Composer originally intended where they should be placed, etc.
Diamonds are Forever (1971) [✅/?] Though there is a "Whyte House ringtone" heard just before Blofeld picks up his phone. Cue number separation is required in order to put them where the Composer originally intended where they should be placed etc.
Live and Let Die (1973) ✅ (Isolated Score available on 1991/1993 MGM/UA LDs)
The Man With The Golden Gun (1974) ❌
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) ❌
Moonraker (1979) ❌ (The music was recorded in Paris [as I'm aware of], which probably would explain why it is complex to do an expanded soundtrack album at the moment)
For Your Eyes Only (1981) ❌
Octopussy (1983) ✅
A View to a Kill (1985) ❌ (See you in 2025, La-La Land Records [rolling the dice])
The Living Daylights (1987) ❌ (Just need MGM Records to green light a match to prepare an expanded soundtrack album)
Licence to Kill (1989) ❌ (Just need MGM Records to green light a match to prepare an expanded soundtrack album)
GoldenEye (1995) ❌ (See you in 2025, La-La Land Records [rolling the dice])
Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) ✅ [The 2000 Special Edition DVD, onwards has an Isolated Score]
The World is Not Enough (1999) ✅
Die Another Day (2002) ✅

I'm David Brynskov,
Thank you. :)

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I noted that capitol did vinyl reissues of some of the bond soundtracks in 2015. I wanted to know more about these releases. New mastering or just thicker vinyl? Were all titles reissued?

If anyone knows more or a good online resource to learn more about these releases please let me know.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I noted that capitol did vinyl reissues of some of the bond soundtracks in 2015. I wanted to know more about these releases. New mastering or just thicker vinyl? Were all titles reissued?

If anyone knows more or a good online resource to learn more about these releases please let me know.
I have the Capitol Vinyl Bond Soundtracks from ....Dr. No to Live and Let Die. Then I have The Spy Who Loved Me. All 180G Vinyl. I got them from Amazon. They sound Great ! :thumbsup: ...The other Roger Moore titles from '74, '79, '81, '83, & 85 Capitol did Not release. :confused: .... I own the originals of those in Mint Condition. :D Thanks to Ebay sellers. ;)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I have the Capitol Vinyl Bond Soundtracks from ....Dr. No to Live and Let Die. Then I have The Spy Who Loved Me. All 180G Vinyl. I got them from Amazon. They sound Great ! :thumbsup: ...The other Roger Moore titles from '74, '79, '81, '83, & 85 Capitol did Not release. :confused: .... I own the originals of those in Mint Condition. :D Thanks to Ebay sellers. ;)
Good to know! All in 2015?

I have all older releases of them. I was curious about the newer 2015 releases on vinyl though. Diamonds is one of my favorites.

A couple of the 007 scores are in high def audio too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I finally had a chance to rip the new Octopussy release to iTunes yesterday. It just took forever with life getting in the way. I had a chance to listen to it once and then listening a second time on my way to work today. Only halfway through. Always fun to hear tracks Gobinda Attacks and Easy Come Easy Go while dodging crazy drivers in freeway traffic.

I really am enjoying the added tracks and to hear them in order in which they appear in the film. It’s so nice to hear it this way verses the older discs. I actually reordered those where I could in the film order.

I’m also embarrassed to say I finally ripped the discs for Tomorrow Never Dies. Will be giving that a listen too! I must say Arnold’s scores can be so frenetic compared to the romantic scores that Barry does so well. I’ll get Live and Let Die a listen too very soon.

Thanks for the efforts Neil and La La Land for getting these discs out!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I finally had a chance to rip the new Octopussy release to iTunes yesterday. It just took forever with life getting in the way. I had a chance to listen to it once and then listening a second time on my way to work today. Only halfway through. Always fun to hear tracks Gobinda Attacks and Easy Come Easy Go while dodging crazy drivers in freeway traffic.

I really am enjoying the added tracks and to hear them in order in which they appear in the film. It’s so nice to hear it this way verses the older discs. I actually reordered those where I could in the film order.

I’m also embarrassed to say I finally ripped the discs for Tomorrow Never Dies. Will be giving that a listen too! I must say Arnold’s scores can be so frenetic compared to the romantic scores that Barry does so well. I’ll get Live and Let Die a listen too very soon.

Thanks for the efforts Neil and La La Land for getting these discs out!

I did a playlist for live and let die. I added disc 1 plus the alternates from disc 2. I also added some radio spots at the end too.

Octopussy I added the instrumental version and then again added some radio spots at the end. I love doing that as the radio spots for many are a lot of fun to add on to the listen. : )

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I finally had a chance to listen to Live and Let Die. What a revelation! While I’ve listened to the earlier release, this new release has so much I’ve not heard before outside of the movie, except it’s not buried in the film’s sound mix.

This is an interesting score by George Martin, it’s different. i had to wonder if Paul McCartney had more involvement beyond the title track.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I finally had a chance to listen to Live and Let Die. What a revelation! While I’ve listened to the earlier release, this new release has so much I’ve not heard before outside of the movie, except it’s not buried in the film’s sound mix.

This is an interesting score by George Martin, it’s different. i had to wonder if Paul McCartney had more involvement beyond the title track.
Agreed Nelson! I loved the new outtakes! I’m so happy to have both of these new releases!

I don’t believe McCartney was involved with the score beyond his theme song.
“The music of James Bond” book by John Burlingame is a great reference book to learn more! I just ordered a used copy of it for a friend. It was about $20. It’s a book that I go back to to read more about the scores.

I thought both of the insert books were done well. Burlingame’s book is quoted on some in both of these as well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Tim! I’ve heard of that book by Burlingame. I’ll make a note to find a copy! And I’ve not read the liner notes. I hate possibly damaging the inserts, but you reminded me that there is going to be a lot of good information there!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks