What's new

James Bond 007 soundtracks - Golden Gun, Spy, Moonraker, View To a Kill & Octopussy (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, this may not be the right thread to ask this, but I’m having an odd problem with the Octopussy and Live and Let Die CDs after ripping into iTunes on my Mac Pro, the mid 2012 tower. OS is High Sierra. I know it’s an old system!

What has happened is I ripped these two in to iTunes, and checked the box that says this is a compilation. And both discs are combined into one full album in iTunes. I then synch my iPhone 12 with my Mac to add the new albums to the phone. It looks fine in there and the whole album appears. I played it once and it was good. Now for the odd thing, the next day, the album becomes split up into several separate albums! Here’s how it looks on the iPhone:
IMG_3170.png IMG_3171.png IMG_3172.png

so now I have several albums, each with either several tracks, or a single track! I even deleted the albums from the iPhone and re-synched them. But then later it separated. Any clues for what I need to do to fix this? Thanks!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Guys, this may not be the right thread to ask this, but I’m having an odd problem with the Octopussy and Live and Let Die CDs after ripping into iTunes on my Mac Pro, the mid 2012 tower. OS is High Sierra. I know it’s an old system!

What has happened is I ripped these two in to iTunes, and checked the box that says this is a compilation. And both discs are combined into one full album in iTunes. I then synch my iPhone 12 with my Mac to add the new albums to the phone. It looks fine in there and the whole album appears. I played it once and it was good. Now for the odd thing, the next day, the album becomes split up into several separate albums! Here’s how it looks on the iPhone:
View attachment 218102 View attachment 218101 View attachment 218100

so now I have several albums, each with either several tracks, or a single track! I even deleted the albums from the iPhone and re-synched them. But then later it separated. Any clues for what I need to do to fix this? Thanks!
Nelson that is strange. I’ve had my own bouts with iTunes.
I usually create a playlist and then download the playlist to my phone.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Neil-I did not think to look there at the Apple Discussion forums. Thanks for the tip! It’s good to see it’s not isolated to me. But not good that so many others are experiencing this.

I see many updated to iOS 17.3 and the problem persisted. I’m on iOS 17.3.1. I checked and there is a iOS update to 17.4.1. I could try that later today and see if it solves the issue.

Thanks again for the tip, Neil.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
@Nelson Au I’ve had the same problem. I’ve abandoned using the compilation check box…I have a custom album name for everything (Octopussy [Limited Edition Disc 1], for example) and make sure to always fill in the disc number and total. I’ve also found using “Various Artists” for one of the artist fields helps…I forget which one and I’m not home right now.

The end result, after I sync my phone, is something like this…separate discs and I don’t get the issue you’re having. It’s insanely frustrating for me to have what’s happening to you.

IMG_6968.png

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I prefer the ‘53 myself…..

Attachments

• IMG_2381.png
    IMG_2381.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2382.png
    IMG_2382.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2383.png
    IMG_2383.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 22

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks again Tim, Neil and Jason for the input about my iTunes issue. Last night I decided to let my iPhone update to the newest iOS 17.4.1. This morning I checked the iPhone, it did update. Then I looked at the iTunes library, to my pleasant surprise, the problem had improved. Instead of about 12 albums for Live and Let Die, it’s now down to three. And Octopussy is down to two and Tomorrow Never Dies is down to two albums. It looks like the same albums are split now based on artist name. So I can fiddle with the artists names in iTunes and then try to synch the iPhone to my Mac to see if that fixes the problem. I’ll work on this later today and post if there is a sol/lution. But perhaps iOS 17.4.1 has fixed this. Note, in the images below, the earlier versions of the albums are still in my library, didn’t have the heart to delete them.
IMG_3174.png IMG_3173.png IMG_3175.png

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I did a little reading up on iTunes Album Artist info. It made sense that if I added that info, such as George Martin for Live and Let Die, that is what is needed to help sort the albums. So I did that for Live and Let Die, Octopussy (John Barry) and Tomorrow Never Dies (David Arnold). I then synched the iPhone and the albums on the iPhone recombined. Now we will see if they separate again. :)

By the way, I had the Mission Impossible TV series soundtrack first disc ripped. Amd the same issue happened there, so now the Album Artist is Lalo Shiffrin. If a track is Gerald Fried or Walter Scharf, it’s not split apart. Let’s see if this holds out too.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
This seems needlessly complex. How difficult is it to sort albums by title?

Anyway....James Bond.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This seems needlessly complex. How difficult is it to sort albums by title?

Anyway....James Bond.
I don’t know. it used to be simple it seemed. I wonder if part of the problem is I’m using an older Mac system still running iTunes. My system is too old to update to the newer Mac OS with Apple Music. (I could update to a brand new Mac Pro, this old Mac is still great as I can load it up with drives internally for my Plex set-up)

Or it could be the titles and album info that iTunes fetched off the web are incorrect or incomplete. I notice that when I select “Get Album names“ before I start the rip, there are usually three or four options to pick from. One says: Live and Let Die; 40th Anniversary, etc. Another will say Live and Let Die-La La Land Special Edition, etc. I don’t know who created that info. I figured it was generated by users and placed in a database and not info that is provided from the companies that release the albums? Another example, I thought that La La Land used to provide the album art by clicking on the art when in the La La Land store. But I found that the album art was easier to get from Intrada’s web store!

And yes, sorry for my digression from the main topic here.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I wasn't faulting you but the Music app. I don't use it nor would I want to, it seems.

The LLL product pages have a place to click for the hi-res cover art. It's under the description.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Neil, I certainly didn’t get the sense you were faulting me. :). I never had an issue with iTunes in the past. I know there’s people who prefer different music player apps. I like how iTunes is integrated into the iPhone and I can play my library in the car with CarPlay. I have wondered what other people use as alternatives as I can understand they prefer different file formats.

And thanks for the info for the hi-rez album art location. I totally missed where to locate the image download on the site. I got it!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Only had time for one pass each of Live and Let Die and Octopussy over the weekend and they are terrific releases. Congratulations to all concerned who worked to get these released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks