What's new

J6P & HDTV Black bars. (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This is a 'post it' thread, not a 'flame on' thread.
In the future we will all be watching 16:9 displays. 'All' of us. I am hoping to bring some fun to the present by way of the future, by asking those that can, post their favorite DVD image on a anamorphic widescreen display vs. the same image in P&S. Revealing the black [or gray] bars on the sides of the display.
Thus 'showing' the frighting future to all J6P's that they will face with their 'beloved' no black bar's today DVD's in, hopefully the near, future.
Thank's for playing the game!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to throw you off Vince, I know you must be busy.
Happy Fourth of July. Don't you guy's ever take a break?
On a widescreen display;
1. Take an image from your favorite widescreen DVD [that you would also have a P&S image of. WB DVD's will help].
2. Take the same image from the P&S version [therefore exposing the black or gray bars].
That's all.

Jodee

Screenwriter
The only problem is that J6P will just stretch an image so it fits his widescreen TV, so I doubt any J6P will ever see gray bars.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Yep!
I lose.
I tried those modes & none worked for me, however J6P...
no problem!
Just when I was hoping to highlight the folly of P&S, it all comes falling down on me. Ouch!
J6P lives.

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
OK, For the math Majors: If you take a 2:35 movie, then P&S it then zoom in to fill a 16x9 screen. What percent of the frame is leaft?

LarryH

Supporting Actor
My quick and dirty computation shows you've got a little less than 43% of the original image left!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Face it. We'll be fighting the "modified to fit your TV" videos even when 1.78:1 HDTV becomes commonplace.

Hollywood never fails to take the lowest common denominator route. Most of their brains are seemingly full of bricks.

Dan

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Since there are a ton of 4:3 TVs still being sold (way more than 16:9) I think it will be many years indeed before all the average Joes have a widescreen set.

Even when analog broadcasts cease entirely there will be cheap ATSC boxes that downconvert and output to their old NTSC sets. I'd expect to see quite a few 4:3 NTSC sets still cranking along in the year 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks