What's new

I've got 2K to spend on speakers - 5.1 surround set up (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Wes
I want the 4 surround sound speakers to be wall mounted

any suggestions ...

been thinking about Boston Acoustics

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Definately go with bookshelf's, and HVU and SVS I think are better. Whats your receivers specs? Do you have a subwoofer, and center channel speaker?

Real Name
Wes
I haven't purchased any speakers as of yet....I need everything

So far I got:

Pioneer 5070
Denon - AVR 4306
Oppo DVD

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
monitor audio b2's. mid-large sized bookshelf front ported so good for being up against a wall. $280 a pair and matching center $180 on sale at saturdayaudio.com. for $200 you can get the matching rear surrounds instead of the extra pair of b2's. this leaves plenty for a quality sub or 2 and cabling, stands, brackets, etc.

good luck

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer

Your receiver is over kill for $2000 worth of speakers. Unless there are features you need to have. What size room is this going in?

Real Name
Wes

Tell me more ... I haven't purchased the receiver yet ... so ... Im open for suggestions

My total budget for speakers and receiver is $4K

I want to stay with Denon

My room size is:

21 X 13

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer

The most impact on your system will be the main 3 speakers. I would spend the most money there.

The unwritten rule of thumb for system spending, is this.

50% speakers
25% electronics
25% acoustics

The wall mounting is part for the surrounds is a little hard. Do they have to be wall mounted? and you said 5.1, but also stated 4 surrounds? Is it 5.1 or 7.1?

Real Name
Wes
I like the style of wall mounts ... I dont want anything on the floor

My TV will be centered over the fireplace ...

The layout I'm looking for i as follows:

1 Center Speaker
4 speakers - Front right/left & Back right/left
1 sub

Real Name
Wes
Now I'm kind of leaning towards the:

Definitive Tech - Pro Cinema 1000

What are your thought on that?

What Denon receiver would work well with that, 2807?

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer
So you want the fronts to be wall mounted too. IMO you can get better sound quality with bookshelf speakers on stands.

But it's your call.

Real Name
Wes
I could put the fronts on Book shelves no problem

could you suggest a good setup for 4K

fronts on bookshelves, backs wall mounted, center speaker, sub, and receiver...

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
If I were going wall-mounted I'd buy 4 JBL L820s and an LC2 center ($2100)

Add an HSU turbo or SVS sub ($600 - 1200) and almost any AVR.

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
$4000 will buy you a nice system. The bookshelves will lose some sound mounted on the wall or ceiling so really consider this. Even if they are sealed or front ported you need several inches from the wall. I would suggest a set of good bookshelves on stands, a great sub, the center channel that matches your mains and just about anything for your surrounds. For the AVR; anything from Denon, Yammy or Pioneer Elite that has >100 watts/ch and the connection you want. Remember...spend 2-2.5 times as much on your FRONT speakers as you do on your AVR.

You're going to have to get out and audition as many speakers as you can and decide what sounds good to you.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
For wall mounts, I would recommend the JBL L series 810 for rears and the 820s for surrounds. They mount nicely and are only 5 "think. the 810s are 3 way and the 820s are 4 way.

Hope this helps.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Wes: where are the front 3 speakers going to be mounted in relation to the TV? Ideally the left/right should be in a horizontal line through the middle of the screen but thats not a hard-n-fast rule. In other words this could help decide what kind & size of speaker design to use. And hopefully the TV isn't too far up the wall as your neck could very well end up regretting that! :)

Also, if a center channel will look awkward up there you don't have to use one - just program whatever receiver you get for "no center" and it will redirect that signal to the left/right front mains & they in turn will generate a phantom center image (which many here prefer over a dedicated center channel's output even if they can easily accomodate such a speaker).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks