What's new

It's official, we've hit the hockey stick moment for 4K disk prices (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
And in the end, I'll probably be a second wave adopter...

I'll probably end up being a fourth wave adopter for 4K.

In the case of bluray, I was definitely a fourth wave adopter. (ie. $5 or less dump bin blurays were already commonplace).

When it came to dvd, initially I was a potential first wave adopter until one of my first dvd purchases turned out to be defective. That defective junk went back to the retailer for a refund, and I didn't bother buying many dvds for more than a decade. The stuff I did end up buying back in the day was probably third wave for me (ie. mostly discounted bargain bin stuff before $5 dump bins were common).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Anyone who watches Planet Earth II in 4k UHD will probably have that same "aha" moment they had when watching a Blu ray that put them over the edge and converted them from SD-DVD. I am not re-purchasing my entire BD library (yes, BD still looks great on 4K display), but I am glad I have the option of buying new releases on the UHD format.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
When I said what I said, I was taking a 4K display as a given (I wasn't even sure that displays 55"+ were available any other way, my ignorance, I just don't see/notice them...) and was using 4K as a synonym for UHD (which I know is not really correct).

So yes, obviously you need a 4K display, and when you update your display, that's the sensible time to update the rest of the chain. Or just because you feel like it, I mean we're all either enthusiasts or hobbyists or industry professionals, so we want what's best for our purposes. But there are people here who are vintage TV enthusiasts, or perhaps vintage animation enthusiasts, or even silent movie enthusiasts, and if that's their hobby/interest, you can see how 4K in the source chain is not a priority at this stage. (Actually, probably also not for most people who are mostly "classic"/older movie enthusiasts.)

I make an exception for PJs. If you use a PJ, I don't care what screen size, you need a 4K PJ, you will be "thrilled" with it.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I am not re-purchasing my entire BD library (yes, BD still looks great on 4K display), but I am glad I have the option of buying new releases on the UHD format.

Hypothetically if I were to re-purchase titles on 4Kbluray, I would be doing some googling to figure out whether a 4Kbluray version is a newer 4K transfer or just an hd->4k upscale.

Initially I'll pass on titles which are just hd->4k upscales. Though I might be tempted to buy such hd->4k upscales, once the 4Kbluray discs show up in local dump bins for $5 a pop or less.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hypothetically if I were to re-purchase titles on 4Kbluray, I would be doing some googling to figure out whether a 4Kbluray version is a newer 4K transfer or just an hd->4k upscale.

Initially I'll pass on titles which are just hd->4k upscales. Though I might be tempted to buy such hd->4k upscales, once the 4Kbluray discs show up in local dump bins for $5 a pop or less.
I can't follow that approach as it would limit me from purchasing some very good to excellent 4K/UHD discs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I can't follow that approach as it would limit me from purchasing some very good to excellent 4K/UHD discs.

Yes, it's not just whether the UHD transfer comes from a 4K vs. 2K source. There is also HDR in play, which also can offer an improvement over a BD version of the film.

For releases of newer films where I think there will be a UHD release, I am no longer purchasing BD versions.. However, that doesn't mean I'm no longer buying BD's - I'm still buying more in that format than any other right now, as I buy a lot of older films which will probably not be released on UHD.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Yes, it's not just whether the UHD transfer comes from a 4K vs. 2K source. There is also HDR in play, which also can offer an improvement over a BD version of the film.

I fully agree!!

I'm probably on the extreme side I do not buy any blu-rays anymore, with maybe the occasional exception. UHD discs are the best sound and picture you can get. So I'm re-buying discs even though I said I wouldn't at the beginning. I'm hooked and get wowed everytime I watch a new 4K disc. It has been a significant bump for me! However, like I said I'm an extreme case and have purchased 109 4K discs sets so far.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I fully agree!!

I'm probably on the extreme side I do not buy any blu-rays anymore, with maybe the occasional exception. UHD discs are the best sound and picture you can get. So I'm re-buying discs even though I said I wouldn't at the beginning. I'm hooked and get wowed everytime I watch a new 4K disc. It has been a significant bump for me! However, like I said I'm an extreme case and have purchased 109 4K discs sets so far.
You certainly are as I've only purchased 91 4K/UHD titles.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I might do the same thing if my rebadged LG computer bluray drive abruptly dies, and I end up buying a newer LG bluray drive model to replace it. (The current LG computer bluray drives can read 4K bluray discs straight out of the box under Windows10).
I'm not current, but last I saw, the only 4k playback software was PowerDVD 17 and it required a 7th gen (Kaby Lake) Intel i7 PC.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm not current, but last I saw, the only 4k playback software was PowerDVD 17 and it required a 7th gen (Kaby Lake) Intel i7 PC.

I would also be looking for a new graphics card.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You certainly are as I've only purchased 91 4K/UHD titles.

Only 91 titles? ;) Our definition of only is a little different. :lol: I have "only" 17 films in the UHD format.

While I've been trying to not change my buying habits and purchasing titles just because they are on UHD, even I have been seduced once or twice. I bought The Mummy trilogy on UHD, even though I probably would not have bought that release had it just been on BD. I am mostly still buying BD's, though, My most recent purchases have been BD versions of The Pink Panther film collection, The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Phenomena, the Criterion release of They Live By Night, and the complete series of The Rockford Files. None of those are likely to be released on UHD for many years, if ever. I will even still buy something on SD-DVD if it's something that interests me. Not too long ago I purchased a 10 film set of W.C. Fields films on DVD, as well as a four film set of Jimmy Stewart films.

It's more about the films than the format for me. I prefer buying things in the best format out there, but I am certainly not going to deny myself watching something of interest because it's "only" available on BD or DVD.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm up to 43 with my 2 4K Apes purchases today. ($19.99 each with $7.50 movie cash too!!)

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Still waiting on affordable and fully capable 4k / HDR projectors...

I've not been willing to pay a $5 premium for 4k/blu bundles. But for a $2 premium I might take the chance.

Based on my understanding you may never get a projector that can really do HDR... 3D was a $5 premium now 4K is, I think it is inline with what pricing should look like. Since you get the blu-ray seems like a no brainer.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Based on my understanding you may never get a projector that can really do HDR... 3D was a $5 premium now 4K is, I think it is inline with what pricing should look like. Since you get the blu-ray seems like a no brainer.
The premium is money badly spent if I never watch the 4k version. And for most movies I buy, there's a good chance I won't rewatch it in a few years. And the way movies plummet in price, the 4k version might be effectively five dollars in a couple of years. So for me it's not generally worth paying money now for something I might maybe watch in several years.

Last edited:

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Did the Apes packaging have any indication on them of including movie cash?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks