What's new

It's official, we've hit the hockey stick moment for 4K disk prices (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My 4 year old 80" 3D tv still works and I still have another year and a half on a warranty plus I dont have money to buy a new tv.
How could I go smaller after having this tv for so long.

The only 4K disks I have are afew that have 3D included.

I would love love love to get 4k but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had not planned to jump into 4K yet, either, but my 8+ year old Samsung DLP set developed an issue late last year and I decided to replace the device. It made complete sense to buy a 4K model, so that's the direction I went it. When Sony came out with an attractively-priced UHD player, I decided "in for a penny, in for a pound" and bought the player.

I only have added 17 UHD films to my library since the beginning of the year -- and 8 of those were via multi-film sets and two were freebies as part of a promotion when I bought the player. So I have only actually made 10 actual UHD release purchases so far. All except one (Underworld) were titles I did not own on BD -- and Underworld was one of my freebies. I am really trying to reduce the number of repurchases from previous formats this time, limiting myself to repurchasing those titles which are favorites I watch over and over again. Unforgiven will probably be my first repurchase when the price drops below $20.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]However, our son, who normally doesn't give a lick about physical media, did ask me if a favorite series of his was available on DVD, despite its being on Netflix!

Perhaps, all is not lost just yet! :)
"Pop...I'm here with you, now. I'm here with you"
- Michael Corleone, The Godfather

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I had not planned to jump into 4K yet, either, but my 8+ year old Samsung DLP set developed an issue late last year and I decided to replace the device. It made complete sense to buy a 4K model, so that's the direction I went it. When Sony came out with an attractively-priced UHD player, I decided "in for a penny, in for a pound" and bought the player.

I might do the same thing if my rebadged LG computer bluray drive abruptly dies, and I end up buying a newer LG bluray drive model to replace it. (The current LG computer bluray drives can read 4K bluray discs straight out of the box under Windows10).

Though I haven't been using my rebadged LG drive as often in recent times. (Awhile ago I purchased a current Pioneer computer bluray drive, which I use more often). In some ways, I've been delaying the inevitable.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Since we've never taken the 3-D plunge, and 3-D sadly seems to be on the way out, it seems more likely to me that by default, we'll end up going 4K eventually, although I do wish that both options could remain viable, especially given the amazing work that Bob Furmanek and Greg Kintz have been doing in their ongoing 3-D restoration efforts! I also agree that not making 3-D an option for the 4K spec (For both UHD Discs and 4K TVs, no less!) was every bit as stupid as limiting the SD option to the interlaced type on the Blu-ray spec! Honestly, what were those responsible for the development of these formats thinking in devising such ridiculously, and unnecessarily limiting constraints?

End of rant - For now! ;)

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I'm not done on formats, I tend to embrace the "best" format for the content I want to experience. This may be LP, or it may be UHD, no bias if I like the content. Might be highish bitrate MP3 for my car, or DVD for an old less-popular TV series, whatever seems appropriate.

I'm just drawing my personal line at re-buying stuff just because there's a newer format available. For new content, at this point I'll buy in 4K if I think I'll like it enough, otherwise I don't exactly feel hard done by if I go with the BD. Come on folks, BD is truly excellent compared to "everything" before it. Do you watch a newish-movie BD from 2 years ago and say this is awful, my A/V suffering is unbearable? Of course there's always better, we've all probably met or at least heard of the afficionado who will only watch actual film in their HT (s/he's gonna have a problem pretty soon, but then they probably hate new movies too). At least give the 4K a try when you have a chance, it's not exactly a necessity of A/V life, but it is nice to have the option available should you choose it.

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't see there being an "A-HA!" Moment for me with 4K the way there was with Blu.

I was able to tell myself Blu wasn't a big jump, until I saw TNG remastered. Then I was a convert.

But unfortunately, I don't see DS9 coming to 4K to make me appreciate the joys of of the format. And that's what I said earlier... it's already only a fraction of the catalog titles or TV on DVD making it to Blu, and only a fraction of the Blu titles will go to 4K

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't see there being an "A-HA!" Moment for me with 4K the way there was with Blu.

I was able to tell myself Blu wasn't a big jump, until I saw TNG remastered. Then I was a convert.

The big a-ha! moment for me was first watching Blade Runner on bluray.

Before that my experience with bluray was somewhat abysmal, such as the first bluray versions of: First Blood 1, the original Total Recall, Terminator 1, The Fifth Element, etc ... which were all rather lousy.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
All the conversation seems to imply that 4K discs or other 4K content sources are the only reason to go 4K. I went 4K because I wanted a bigger (got a 65) 3D tv and the clock was ticking. To me it made no sense to stay with HD on a bigger tv.

Between the bigger tv and the up conversion to 4K and the 4K discs and some 4K streaming, it has all been worth it. I own maybe 5 4K discs and when I have to choose between 3D and 4K, I go 3D, but the upgrade to 4K still makes sense for me.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All the conversation seems to imply that 4K discs or other 4K content sources are the only reason to go 4K. I went 4K because I wanted a bigger (got a 65) 3D tv and the clock was ticking. To me it made no sense to stay with HD on a bigger tv.

Between the bigger tv and the up conversion to 4K and the 4K discs and some 4K streaming, it has all been worth it. I own maybe 5 4K discs and when I have to choose between 3D and 4K, I go 3D, but the upgrade to 4K still makes sense for me.

Oh, well when you put it that way... next time I have to buy a TV, odds are it's going to be 4K. If I have to buy something new, what the hell.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Oh, well when you put it that way... next time I have to buy a TV, odds are it's going to be 4K. If I have to buy something new, what the hell.
I can't quite make out you're point of view from your comment. If you feel I was saying you have to go 4K, I would point you to my comments where I say "To me it made no sense to stay with HD" and "the upgrade to 4K still makes sense for me."

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can't quite make out you're point of view from your comment. If you feel I was saying you have to go 4K, I would point you to my comments where I say "To me it made no sense to stay with HD" and "the upgrade to 4K still makes sense for me."

No, I just looked at things from a different point of view. The conversation has been about 4K discs and players, which to me don't make sense to upgrade. But you introduced the new TV angle, which I hadn't considered. And if and when it's new TV time, I can more than see going with 4K since why not go for it if it's time to buy something new.

Still can't see going 4K for discs, though. But a new TV when it's time? Yeah. Makes sense.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
80% of televisions being manufactured currently are 4K. Normal HD sets will be a memory In a year or two so you probably won't have a choice if you want a new TV after that. It will be 4K or nothing.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What are you judging that opinion on?

Honestly?

Same thing I judged SD vs Blu on... sheer ignorance of what's to come. :D

I may be singing the praises of 4K and saying I can't see switching to 8K in five years time. It all depends on when Star Trek hits 4K. I mean, it was TNG that dragged me into both DVD and Blu, so get on that, CBS.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Honestly?

Same thing I judged SD vs Blu on... sheer ignorance of what's to come. :D

I may be singing the praises of 4K and saying I can't see switching to 8K in five years time. It all depends on when Star Trek hits 4K.
Yeah, have you seen 4K discs properly demonstrated and I'm not talking about those terrible setups at your local Best Buy? I didn't realize the significance of the improvement from Blu-ray to 4K/UHD discs until I actually played such discs on my LG OLED panel at home. Store demonstrations don't do it justice.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, have you seen 4K discs properly demonstrated and I'm not talking about those terrible setups at your local Best Buy? I didn't realize the significance of the improvement from Blu-ray to 4K/UHD discs until I actually played such discs on my LG OLED panel at home. Store demonstrations don't do it justice.

I don't doubt it.

IIRC, store demos didn't make Blu look as amazing as it could, either.

And in the end, I'll probably be a second wave adopter... let them work out any kinks and build up an affordable catalog of titles, and something will catch my eye that is a must have and we'll be off to the races. I know it was the lowering of Blu prices that helped my conversion to HD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't doubt it.

IIRC, store demos didn't make Blu look as amazing as it could, either.

And in the end, I'll probably be a second wave adopter... let them work out any kinks and build up an affordable catalog of titles, and something will catch my eye that is a must have and we'll be off to the races. I know it was the lowering of Blu prices that helped my conversion to HD.
You still didn't answer my question about what you're basing your 4K versus Blu-ray opinon on, so I'll let it go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks