What's new

It's official, we've hit the hockey stick moment for 4K disk prices (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No more every new release for $39.99 and up. Prices are settling in at a $5 or soi premium over the Blu and some are even less than that. Catalog titles are now $14.99 and under.

The Martian extended for $13.93? Choo Choo get on board because 4K isn't going to be a niche, we are headed for the mass market. Sooner than most people thought.
https://www.amazon.com/The-Martian-...02-20&linkId=f34dfa86bb8908289d3485d8a7919603

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's been pretty much always $5 more than the blu. New releases are consistently priced. However older titles are dropping more quickly. Me likey. :P

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Mass market? I guess someone didn't get the memo that physical media is giving way to downloading and streaming except for the over 45 crowd (and even then) who are hanging on. Physical media is moving from mass market to niche. Many of my friends are telling me to dump my 7,000 collection before it becomes totally worthless as opposed not worth much.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mass market? I guess someone didn't get the memo that physical media is giving way to downloading and streaming except for the over 45 crowd (and even then) who are hanging on. Physical media is moving from mass market to niche. Many of my friends are telling me to dump my 7,000 collection before it becomes totally worthless as opposed not worth much.
When I sold some discs to one of our local pawn shops the other day, I was informed that I just missed getting the 50 cents per DVD price by a week, and they now pay out just 25 cents per DVD! :(

However, our son, who normally doesn't give a lick about physical media, did ask me if a favorite series of his was available on DVD, despite its being on Netflix!

Perhaps, all is not lost just yet! :)

CHEERS! :)

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
I'm a big 3-D nut, not so much a 4K fan. But you know what? I will be glad if 4K really takes off. I know plenty of other folks love it, including some of you, and I like seeing my fellow collectors made happy. Up with 4K!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

And when Netflix is bare and all the companies have locked everything behind their own paywalls, whose preferred medium will be worthless?

As for 4K... I can't see switching to it at this time. Not enough titles. It's enough of a pain to wait for Roman Holiday or DS9 on Blu... 4K is a pipe dream.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have not seen any movement downward on 4K prices at the local BB. A couple of titles at C$25. A few at C$30. Most are C$32 or higher.

Prices are still too high for the kind of films being released. I'd buy Oblivion but not at C$35.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hasn't gone under 35 dollars in Canada since it was released on 4K. BB Canada website lists it at 35, same as their B&M price. Even online shopping in Canada is a joke. Prices are no cheaper than going to a store. You just wait longer to get it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Thanks. I had never heard that term before. I thought it may have something to do with "slashing" prices. ;)

With patience, I've been able to pick up most of my UHD titles for $15 or less per film after they drop in price. My most recent purchase was 3:10 To Yuma at $14.99 on Amazon. I was tempted by The Martian at under $14, but I saw it on BD awhile ago (borrowed from a friend), so I really am in no hurry to own that film.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Still waiting for 50 Shades Darker and La-La Land to hit a low enough price point. I'm not as willing to pay $30 for a 4K disc as I am for 3D. Logan at $24.99 the first week out was a good deal, considering it was a pretty loaded release.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
When I sold some discs to one of our local pawn shops the other day, I was informed that I just missed getting the 50 cents per DVD price by a week, and they now pay out just 25 cents per DVD! :(

At 25cents a pop, I would rather just give away my old discs to local friends + relatives. (For that matter, I would do the same thing at 50cents a pop).

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Hasn't gone under 35 dollars in Canada since it was released on 4K. BB Canada website lists it at 35, same as their B&M price. Even online shopping in Canada is a joke. Prices are no cheaper than going to a store. You just wait longer to get it.

(Hypothetically in a contrarian way).

I'm currently using such "higher prices" of 4K bluray discs, as an easy excuse to NOT jump onto a new 4K ocd treadmill.

I've been trying to find ways to avoid jumping onto new ocd compulsive collecting/completion type treadmills.

Though if 4K bluray discs end up in local $5 dump bins, it might become a lot harder for me to resist the temptation to jump onto the 4K disc collecting treadmill.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
And when Netflix is bare and all the companies have locked everything behind their own paywalls, whose preferred medium will be worthless?

Yep, that's what I keep telling people who pooh-pooh my physical media collection. I and can literally count on one hand the times I have found a movie I wanted to watch when I wanted to watch it on either Netflix, Amazon Prime or Hulu.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I did notice that our local Family Video has tossed a tiny handful of 4K rentals on the shelf, but I doubt it will take off since their Blu offerings just barely took off. I noticed now they have a big display of movies listed as "Streaming collection" In other words you can now buy a code to stream the movies they have, or something similar.

So as Thomas said (which I agree with), I really doubt we will see a wave of 4K discs flying off shelves nor will they be huge for rental discs, the same situation we saw for 3D discs. Our Family Video jumped on the 3D rental wagon while it was hot, but there are none on the shelves now.

If a place like Family Video sees the trend is truly going to streaming, you know we are on a downward spiral for physical media. It may hold tight for a few more years, but we all know it's dying on the vine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks