What's new

Its Madness Already!!! (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I just back from going to the store on my lunch break to see if MGS2 was in stock yet and there was already people camped outside for the Xbox! I guess these people have too much time on their hands and have been playing something different then what I have played.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I went to my local EB today and was suprised to find a good bit of people there (mind you it was 10am). The suprising part was that a majority were there for MGS2 and not the X-box. Of course this wasn't the X-box's release day either. (I knew MGS2 would get attention, its the amount of attention that shocked me!)
In the end I'm sure the X-box will do well. All the preorders were sold out for the system as well as its little indigo competition at this EB. If that is the trend for most retail stores it bodes well for both companies.
Heres to an excellent holiday season and an excellent time to be a gamer! Now if youll excuse me,I have some businees to attend to with a little known guy named Snake
biggrin.gif

[Edited last by Romier S on November 14, 2001 at 01:58 PM]

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
What?? People already waiting outsidefor Xbox? Looks like I'll be camping sooner than I thought.
Wish me luck on nabbing one!

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
My mom just called telling me that if I wanted to get in line for a Xbox I better hurry as the line at Wal Mart was already 13 people deep.
I said thanks mom, but I will pass.
[Edited last by Kelley_B on November 14, 2001 at 03:41 PM]

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
The xbox comes out on thursday right? People are crazy. I thought people camping out for the PS2 were crazy also...I just had a family member walk into best buy about 2 weeks after release date and they had them and she bought me one. How do people find the time to sit outside a store to wait to buy something that will be available for a long time to come? I've never had the need to camp out for anything. If I wanted something bad enough I preorder it or just wait. I don't get it.

ChrisV

Second Unit
No, I can't see myself camping on the street to buy something. Now if they were giving them away for free...
The PS2 launch debacle went great for me. Just placed a preorder, then walked in and picked it up on launch day. That's the way I like it. :)

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I'm staying away from any of those stores. I am really glad I ordered mine from EBgames. According to them it shipped and I should get it tomorrow.
--------------------------------
My Site: Link Removed
DVD,MOVIE, AND GAME NEWS
now updated every 15 minutes.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Why exactly are they camped out when you can still order one now from ebgames.com??
It doesn't appear as if it will be all that difficult to pick up over these next 3 weeks or so. Maybe they've got nothing else to do tonight.

Sean_B

Stunt Coordinator
The biggest reason is that people want just the console not the bundled package deal that costs around $500

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Yes you can still order from Ebgames.com BUT you will only be getting an XBOX as more units arrive. The only people getting theirs from ebgames.com ordered them before November.
--------------------------------
My Site: Link Removed
DVD,MOVIE, AND GAME NEWS
now updated every 15 minutes.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
quote: The biggest reason is that people want just the console not the bundled package deal that costs around $500[/quote]
I don't really have problem with the bundles considering you should be able to exchange any game you buy for another at most retailers. (Due to Christmas proximity) After last year, when I got up at 4:00AM and waited for 6 hours at BestBuy, I went ahead and order the Jet Black Cube bundle and will enjoy sleeping in on Sunday.
Fortunately, I wanted all the games included, but for 1 or 2 games that might need to be exchanged I'd rather pay the upfront cost than stand outside all night long not even knowing how many are available. Plus you save on sales tax relative to shipping.
[Edited last by Joseph S on November 14, 2001 at 07:11 PM]

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
A FedEx truck was parked in front of a certain 'software' B&M today. A HUGE amount of familiar sized boxes on palettes. As the preorder line for MGS2 mounted, these unassuming palettes made their way, almost inconspicuously, past us. I just had to confirm with the personnel that these indeed were what I thought they were. Yep.
There are going to be many new Gamecube owners tommorow, methinks.
Joseph

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I gotta go by Best Buy to get some DVDs. I'll post here if I see a line outside and say how many there were.

David_LM

Stunt Coordinator
I stopped by the Electronics Department at two of the 24-hour stores (Wal-Mart and Meijer) in my city and saw lines forming for the XBox. I then went over to Best Buy and saw XBox games and accessories, including Monster cables and DVD kits, flying off the display shelves. I talked to a couple of employees and told them I may wait a couple of weeks before I buy the XBox and they recommended I come back tomorrow very early to buy a unit because they expected a huge, early rush this year for the XBox console. They also stated that they think the best games will be picked over very fast.
I looked around and saw that there were no displays or signs for the GameCube, only a demonstration set. I asked several employees when there would be a GameCube display set up since the launch was only four days away and nobody seemed to know or care as they were focused on the XBox launch only. It is an obvious benefit to the XBox having launched a few days before the Cube.
Those who declared the XBox DOA after E3 could not have been more off base. At Best Buy I talked to two soccer moms and their young boys who were buying XBox games. The boys told me some of their friends already have the PS2 and they believe the XBox is better. I now feel that many at this forum have underestimated the “latest and greatest” mentality as well as the respect many adults, who may have alot of influence on their kid's $300 purchases, have for Microsoft.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Our Gamecubes finally arrived today as we began preparing for tomorrow's Xbox fun. As expected, the initial shipment of Gamecubes was much better than Xbox. We're sitting on 48 Xboxes versus 60 Gamecubes (with another 60 coming Friday).
I'm looking forward to tomorrow. The PS2 launch was fun and I expect this will be more of the same. I can't wait to see what our line is like as I drive up in the morning.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I now feel that many at this forum have underestimated the “latest and greatest” mentality as well as the respect many adults, who may have alot of influence on their kid's $300 purchases, have for Microsoft.
You "now feel" that? Come on, you've always been of that opinion. :)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Well, at the TRU that I work at,here is the final tally:
Xbox: 40 systems - 28 Presells,12 on the floor
Gamecube: 184 systems,split just about even between indigo & black.
I did some checking on the way home,and no lines for the box anywhere.
But everyone in my dept. is working on Sunday,so I KNOW that that will be a freaking madhouse.
But....it will all be worth it,because my favorite mgr. is in charge,and I know that Sunday night,I'll be playing my cube. :)
Calvin
PS:
as well as the respect many adults, who may have alot of influence on their kid's $300 purchases, have for Microsoft.
Yeah..all those people who see the screen of death and who are soo loving their XP's right now :)
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."
[Edited last by Calvin Watts III on November 14, 2001 at 11:00 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks