Issue: Denon 1803/833 Sound going to remote speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne Ernst, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I have the Denon AVR-883 receiver. I was having some trouble getting the sound to go to the 2nd zone in my home. Basically, here's what I've done so far:
    1) Set the switch on the back of the receiver from 6-channel to remote zone
    2) Used the remote control to turn on the 2nd zone.
    3) Used the remote control to select the source for the 2nd zone (e.g. - Tuner, CD, etc.)
    When I have the remote control in the "2nd zone" position, I don't have any sound going to those speakers. Plus, the volume indicator lists "---" and nothing more. Plus, when I adjust the volume on the remote, nothing changes.
    I've read through the manual and there doesn't appear to be any other special setup that I should run though to get the 6th channel so sound is outputted to the remote speakers.
    Has anyone with the 1803/883 experienced this same issue? Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I purchased my Denon AVR-1803/883 receiver for the 2nd room output capabilities. I wasn't worried about limiting my theater sound to 5.1 because I don't plan on adding any more speakers. However, I tried 8 ways to Sunday to get the 2nd zone to work. No go. I even contacted Denon support and went through the following checklist:

1) Switch set to multi-room on the back of the receiver to allow for this option to be used.

2) Selected the source. It had to be an analog source - the digital coax cable from the DVD/CD player will not work as a multi-room input source.

3) My tuner was tried and so was my DVD/CD player with RCA cables.

After all of this effort, the 2nd zone still wouldn't work. Possibly, I got a bad Denon? I'm not sure, but I'm returning this receiver as much as I hate to. When using the AVR-1803/883 in my regular listening area, I'm very impressed with what I hear. However, I'm just disappointed that the 2nd zone outputs don't properly work because that is the reason for my upgrade from the AVR-1802 to the AVR-1803/883.