What's new

Isn't still to early to do Superman (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
they should fix the Kevin Smith script and use that one.
Which is based on a flawed concept in the first place: the Death Of Superman storyline. That was bad enough when they did it in the comic book, what makes you think that idea will work in a film?

Also, everyone holds up Donner's film as "perfection". I think it is far from perfect. Otis, "Can you read my mind?", etc. Also, I think there could be a better Lex than Gene Hackman. The only thing I can say that is perfect about the film is Chris Reeves performance, which I can't imagine anyone improving on.

I take the script reviews I've read for what they are: the first draft for bringing Superman into the 21st century. Yes, there seems to be a decent amount wrong with it, but that's probably the way of most first drafts, and I didn't think it was all bad. It helps that the worst of it has been already been tossed. (Lex) Now, I hope they get away from the death thing as well. Sounds about as bad as love bringing Neo back to life. We'll see.

People complain about "reinventing" him, but how many times has Superman been reinvented in comics? More times than I can count. Hell, Superman used to not be able to fly, just "leap tall buildings in a single bound".

This project is in the same category as the Hulk and Daredevil: wait and see. There are some promising and not so promising things about all three, and I won't know where it lies until I see the films.

Jason

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Also, everyone holds up Donner's film as "perfection". I think it is far from perfect. Otis, "Can you read my mind?", etc. Also, I think there could be a better Lex than Gene Hackman.
Kevin Spacey, dangit!

The best thing they could do is just make sure that Superman '03 (or '04) isn't an "origin" story. Just posit it as a given that Superman has been in Metropolis for xx years, he and Lex Luthor don't get along, etc. That way, you don't have to try and to replace the movie, you're just doing a new Superman movie that may or may not be in the same continuity, with different actors.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I think everyone by now knows where Superman comes from. We don't need yet another origin retelling. So dull.

I'm thinking Julia Louis-Dreyfus for Lois Lane...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
People complain about "reinventing" him, but how many times has Superman been reinvented in comics? More times than I can count. Hell, Superman used to not be able to fly, just "leap tall buildings in a single bound".
The problem is this. Superman is a Mom and Apple Pie character. You can fiddle with his powers all you want, but in the end, he's still Clark Kent, who loved Lana Lang, found out he was Superman and moved to Metropolis to become mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent. Donner's movie is perfect at capturing all the parts so important to what makes Superman Superman.

Superman is not going to wear black(don't bring up that bad period of the comics, like 2 issues), Superman has a bright red cape, bright red boots, a blue suit and a big honking S on his chest. And that's the way it has to be.

Would someone "bring George Washington into the 90s?" Dye his hair pink and hand him a skateboard? Hell no.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
You can fiddle with his powers all you want, but in the end, he's still Clark Kent, who loved Lana Lang, found out he was Superman and moved to Metropolis to become mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent.
Well, there's still some room for interpretation. Post-Crisis, one of the really smart things John Byrne did to re-invent the character was that now Superman the secret identity and Clark Kent is "the real guy". It's a subtle but important difference.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Heck, who can even top Marlon Brando's role as Jor-El?
Anthony Hopkins was reported to have taken interest into the role. Comedy Central showed the Conan rerun where he was there to plug Red Dragon, and Superman came up as a topic. He did a pretty good impression of Marlon Brando...:)
Tom Welling doesn't seem like a good Clark Kent/Superman to me (I've only seen the first few episodes of Smallville though)...he isn't as "dorky" as Christopher Reeve was when in the role of Clark. Then again, he isn't Superman yet. Brendan Fraser seems like a good choice for the role, and I imagine he wouldn't be very expensive; he's still not a huge star. Jude Law just popped up in my mind as a potential Luthor. He would need to lose the accent, of course, and perhaps shave all of his hair off. Lois? Leelee Sobieski just popped into my mind, but actually, I think she might be better as Lana. However, she's probably a bit too young for Brendan...:) How about Jon Lovitz for Otis, if they decide to revive him?...
Hold it. What about Dean Cain, Teri Hatcher, etc.? I'll admit it, I've never read the comics, I've only seen the Chris Reeve movies. So for those of you who were planning to flame me about even thinking about having Dean and Teri in a Superman movie, save it for someone who knows more about Superman than I do. :)

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I read the comics every week, and I don't mind the Lois & Clark. TBS, TNT, or one of the other Turner networks used to be running it in the early morning and I used to watch it before heading out to work each day.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Which is based on a flawed concept in the first place: the Death Of Superman storyline. That was bad enough when they did it in the comic book, what makes you think that idea will work in a film?
Considering that so many stories involving Superman (including Superman + Superman II as scripted during the Donner period) are barely concealed Christ parallels, it seems rather natural to me.

I don't know how a battle immense enough to wear down and kill off Superman could be carried out without dragging the pacing all to hell. The Life and Death storyline was far too convoluted for a screenplay.

But Superman II as it could have been... that would be worth seeing. Imagine... there's the fight, then the funeral procession. Insert batman cameo. Show the grieving after shots. Have a new villian rampage the world, while superman's dead. Then bring out whatever the modern equiviliant of the green chrystal thingy is. Place it in the tomb. Just when things are at their worst, someone checks the coffin in the memorial. Body's gone. Then have Superman swoop in and kick ass.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
But Superman II as it could have been... that would be worth seeing. Imagine... there's the fight, then the funeral procession. Insert batman cameo. Show the grieving after shots. Have a new villian rampage the world, while superman's dead. Then bring out whatever the modern equiviliant of the green chrystal thingy is. Place it in the tomb. Just when things are at their worst, someone checks the coffin in the memorial. Body's gone. Then have Superman swoop in and kick ass.
Sigh...

The Kevin Smith script could've been great.

CURSE YOU JOHN PETERS! CURSE YOU AND YOUR GIANT WILD WILD WEST SPIDER!

James T

Screenwriter
This was in the news early yesterday. For those in the Toronto area, it was on CP24.

Anyways, they said that at a party, WB execs approached Joe Millionaire about the role of Supes. I haven't seen the show, so I have no idea how good of an actor he is, but he has the long hair look of the Superman that just returned from death.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Well, the Joe Millionare dude would work if he could act and he cut his hair. The dude does look like Superman, tall, built, etc.
Personally, I think Smallville is a horrible show. I really dont like it and I dont like the guy who plays Clark. Just get Christian Bale for the movie, hes about the perfect age, around 30 I believe, and hes pretty tall, and I can certainly see him in the suit. For an older Superman, I'd go for David Morse, if you ever watch Crossing Guard or Green Mile, the dude is huge and I can see him in the suit as well.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Modern depictions of Clark Kent in the comics have him as less dorky. Tom Welling would have to bulk up a lot to play the adult supes. They could very well have him do the over the course of the show.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
David Morse doesn't seem like a good choice. Sure, he's played a tough guy before (Hack), but I don't think his Superman voice would sound tough enough. If he could change his voice, then I'm up for him. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Damn you like throwing that word around alot.
In this context

Blasphemy- Uneccessary wholesale alteration of an existing character, film, or other creation purely on whimsy because the blasphemer think they know better than the original creator how to deal with their creations.

I use it when it's appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks