What's new

Isn't still to early to do Superman (1 Viewer)

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
I mean, I will be comparing the upcoming film to the Chris Reeves stuff (even though the first one was the best one). I can see Spidey and the Hulk, I think Superman is still too early. I wish Matt Damon played Superman BTW

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'd question the wisdom of doing it concurrently with Smallville, but there's been ample time since The Quest For Peace to cleanse the moviegoing audience's palate. Make a good movie and it's not a problem.

I'd go with the Marvel method of mostly using lesser-known (but good and fitting) actors. You can tie 'em down to sequels, not have them bring baggage, and not have dueling egos on the set. But there's other ways to go.

Superman - Ivan Sergei (cheap) / Vincent D'onofrio (quirky) / Brendan Fraser (star)
Lois - Selma Blair (cheap) / Linda Cardellini (quirky) / Sandra Bullock (star)
Luthor - Adrian Pasdar (cheap) / Philip Seymour Hoffman (quirky) / Kevin Spacey (star)

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Christian Bale would make a good Supe.

The original Superman is sooo good I can't see them improving on it. Sure the special effects will improve but so what, the first movie had it all; laughs, cheers, scares and best of all an amazing Superman in Christopher Reeves. I am a bit gun-shy of a new Superman and have quite a bit of skepticism based on early reviews of the script. Hopefully it turns out great and they make an amazing movie and I can add yet another comic book film to my DVD collection.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I really think that they should hold off on a new movie with Smallville currently in production.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE Superman fan. But if they make a movie, I'd like to see it done right!
I personally think that WB should sign Tom Welling (Smallville's Clark) to do a big-screen picture deal once Smallville has finished it's run. I can see it now...
... final episode of Smallville has Clark moving to Metropolis, and adopting the Superman Personae. Think of it... we'd have established and identifyable characters who we can already sympathise with (because of their run on the show). Look at how successful this format has been with the Star Trek (Original and Next Generation) movies!
I also personally think that Tom Welling would look pretty good as Superman.
Sign the cast, and SIGN THEM NOW!
Moe.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
No comic film will ever equal the majesty of Superman The Movie. Nothing! I however, look forward to the next Superman movie cause Im a Superman freak! Personally, I'd want either Edward Burns or David Morse for Superman.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
As it stands now, the current script is almost beyond blasphemous, culminating in Superman and Luthor kung-fu fighting.

Whoever wrote that peice of trash should be ASHAMED

Cheapest/Best route

Take Richard Donner Superman movie

Re-Release wide

Take Superman 2

Let Richard Donner do his cut

Re-release

There, perfect Superman

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Is Warner so out of ideas that they need to remake one of their films which is only 25 years old???

I'll enjoy watching my DVD of THE Superman movie, thank you.

Digital effects won't improve much in style. Save for one or two shots in the film, the front projection, bluescreen, and Zoptics look incredible. I've seen shots of the same style done with CGI and they look like...well, someone in front of a blue screen.

Christopher Reeve IS Superman and no one can top his role in the film. Who can top Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor? Who can top Margot Kidder's Lois Lane? Jackie Cooper's Perry White? Heck, who can even top Marlon Brando's role as Jor-El?

Superman: The Movie is the Citizen Kane of superhero movies, so all I can hope for is that WB enjoys the millions made from it and let the film fade into obscurity. 50 years from now, the 1978 film will still be a classic. 10 years from now, the remake is just going to be another film.

And I bet they'll shoot it in 1.85:1 or Super-35...

Rob T

Screenwriter
I personally think that WB should sign Tom Welling (Smallville's Clark) to do a big-screen picture deal once Smallville has finished it's run.
I agree.

The original one still holds up pretty damn good so I see no reason for a re-make. More sequels would be alright, but not a re-make.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think Vincent D'onofrio or Thomas Jane would make a great Luthor.

I dont like anything Im hearing about Superman, why redo whats perfect? They should just continue the story instead of reinventing Supes.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, more sequals are impossible, given that Mr. Reeve is no longer mobile
Not having the same actor didn't stop the Batman movies (alright, it almost killed them, but didn't stop them)

I don't know why we can't just start a Superman movie in the thick of things with a great story instead of rehashing an origin that everyone if familiar with and that has already been done so well. The few who don't about Supe's origin would probably not be interested in the movie.

This is just making me long for the version that Kevin Smith was working on.

Ric

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
Brett Ratner from Rush Hour 1&2 and Red Dragon is directing the film..not Kevin Smith (please God not Kevin Smith)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
2003 marks the 25th Anniversary of Superman: The Movie.. it was released on december 15th, 1978.

JACOB

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Take Kevin Smith's Superman Lives script.

Cut out the giant spiders, the Bainiac polar bear fight, and Brainiac's gay robot sidekick.

If it weren't for those three elements, it's a pretty awesome Supes script with only some other minor changes that need to be made here and there.

And damn, I would pay good money to see that movie made. ESPECIALLY if they get you-know-who to reprise his role as Batman for that one awesome cameo that the Dark Knight has.

Edit:

(please God not Kevin Smith)
Kevin Smith had a damn awesome Supes script that was destroyed by the meddling hands of the vile John Peters. He nailed the whole "Death and Return of Superman" storyline.

The funeral scene, with Batman delivering a message to Metropolis, was perfect. The Doomsday fight? Excellent. Just erase those stupid John Peters additions and it would be great.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
If it were up to me I'd let smallville complete it's run, and then take the actors to the films. This was the original intent behind Bruce Wayne, the project on wich smallville was based (ie ripped off). The notion was to Follow Bruce Wayne in the Years leading up to his becoming Batman, the last shot of the series would be Wayne putting on the cowl for the first time and then, off to the movies with Batman: Year One. A good concept, and one that works just as well for Supes as it does for Bruce.
Assuming that this isn't in the cards though, here is a link to my dream casting for Superman:
http://www.geocities.com/Pagz57/supercast.html
Any thoughts are always welcome.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Have there been any much-needed excisions on the daffy draft script in which Krypton didn't blow up, and for some reason Superman decided to "die", and Jor-El kills himself so he can go into the afterlife and convince Superman to come back to life?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Wayne, last I heard that's still the script, but at least they got rid of the part where

Lex Luthor is from Krypton.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Actually, there was less time between the 'Batman' TV series and the Tim Burton film. Sure, the series wasn't as dearly loved as 'Superman: The Movie," but it was still the baromter for many of us regarding the 1989 version.

Last I heard was that Ratner had cleaned out most of the objections fans had to that early draft. It'll be interesting to see what happens with it, but he was quoted as saying that:

Krypton will blow up and Lex is not an alien

I'm not unwilling to see a new Supes, but I would like WB to give 'Smallville' the respect it deserves and wait for them to finish their run.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Last I heard was that Ratner had cleaned out most of the objections fans had to that early draft.
Nothing but PR spin that was probably "coerced" out of Ratner from a paniced Warners.

Wizard Magazine also had a quote from Ratner where he said the script was nothing more than fan fiction. Total BS, and I know that for a 100% fact.

The script was carbage. It should be burned, JJ Abrams should not be allowed to write another draft, and they should fix the Kevin Smith script and use that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks