What's new

Is TV series "John Doe" going to be on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
The title says it all. The episode premired this Friday, and I recorded the first episode, and I liked it very much, and wondered if it would be available on DVD, that way, I don't have to record the episodes, and wait until DVD.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Only one episode has aired, so I think any speculation about a DVD release would be premature at best. If it is released, it would probably be quite awhile, so recording the episodes would probably be the smart move.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think that, with the success of TV-on-DVD, it is safe to assume that EVERY new show aired is being done with an eye toward eventual release on home video.

The question is, how long of a wait will there be? And, can you stand waiting that long to have the convenience of rewatching the episodes whenever you want.

For those time-shifting reasons, VCRs, PVRs, and recordable DVD will be popular for quite some time, I expect. Use 'em if you got 'em!

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I was gonna post the same thing. It would really shock me if a new TV show doesn't already have the workings of a DVD release behind it. I like how John Doe looks so far, as well as FireFly.

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I think you might want to wait a few weeks and make sure it is not cancelled before you stop recording episodes. Dvd news probably won't come out until after the season is finished so that people don't stop watching it on tv and just wait for the dvd.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Also remember that curent TV shows on DVD are an exception, not the rule. Most TV shows are made with the ultimate goal of syndication and DVD sales will cut into that.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, TV on DVD seems to have become so popular that we're getting Malcom in the Middle prior to syndication (24 doesn't count as it's anti-syndication). My guess is that if a show is successful (and REMAINS successful) that you'll see the first DVD set around season 3 on average.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I missed the first half hour and was wondering the same thing! Looks like a show I might stick with. Hopefully, it'll go the "24" route (and the Dead Zone?), and we'll see the first season on DVD next year.

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
Not to be snoty, but can we wait until more than one episode to be aired before we all start screaming for the DVD? Come on now.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I just think TV producers and actors will be resitant to shows being released before syndication because they are paid much less for video releases. Also, I think the fear of losing money on Seinfeld size syndication deals will scare them away from it. I'd like to see more TV on DVD but I think it will unusual for current shows to be on DVD, at least in the near future.

As for John Doe, it might be a good idea to see if it'll last more than 13 episodes before thinking about DVD. After all, its in a kiss of death time slot.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Not to be snoty, but can we wait until more than one episode to be aired before we all start screaming for the DVD? Come on now.
No one is "screaming" for it. Why shouldn't we discuss a possible DVD release? I know that when I'm in the theater seeing movies, I often think "I can't wait for this to hit DVD"...same during the trailers for movies not out yet that look to intrest me. There is nothing wrong with discussing it.

R. Kay

Second Unit
I hear they're going to release one episode of John Doe on dvd.
No bonus footage and no supplements, though.
;)
Patience is a virtue.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
When in doubt burn your own dvd. ;) I enjoyed the show. So hopefully, like they did with the X-Files move it to a better time slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks