What's new

is this the last series of Friends? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
[Please direct me to the relevant older thread if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything when I searched].

Is the current series the last one of Friends? There were rumours that it was, and then rumours that it wasn't, and over on this side of the Herring Pond, I don't think we've got a definitive version of events. Help, please!

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
No, all of the actors signed on for another season, so next year will be the final season.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Next year will likely be the final season, so long as they all keep their wits about them. It's time to move on after that IMHO. Matt LeBlanc was quoted in Entertainment Weekly as saying if the money was right he'd have to THINK about doing yet another one. I hope they all aren't thinking that way. It would be terribly unfortunate for Friends to go one or two seasons too long after a good run (save for last season).

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info, folks. Personally, I think it's time to call it a day on Friends. I love the series, but it, like the Simpsons, is getting tired.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
DavidF, You have a very good idea, but unfortuneately, most producers frown on originality. It is safer and more comfortable to keep writing about the same characters.

However, Becker has benefited with the addition of character in its show, namely Bob and now the character played by Nancy Travis. I am not sure if she is going to be a regular or not.

I didn't mean to change the subject here, but I thought it was relevant to DavidFs comments.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I have been pretty happy with last several episodes of this season. I think the show still has some legs, but I agree that it is for the best that next season be the last.

The last rumor I heard was that after next season Joey might be spun-off on his own ala Frasier (I suspect it will involve him moving to Hollywood).

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
There have been various suggestions for which characters might get a show of their own after the demise of Friends. E.g. a few years ago, the hot money was on Phoebe.

I think the show really has reached a point where they should pull the plug. The most recent episode shown in the UK was the one with the Geller's 35th wedding anniversary and has got to be the worst episode in the whole eight series. A Wesley-heavy Star Trek: TNG episode looked attractive in comparison. Barring a few stand-out episodes, the last three series have been very weak.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think Matt LeBlanc is truly the only one of the six who appreciate the series and would have fun doing a spin-off. He seems to be happy to finally be on a hit after several DOA sitcom attempts.
The rest all think they're movie stars. :rolleyes

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I think a spin-off with Joey Tribiani would work great. He's an actor, so he could get into a lot of different situations, he's got a big family so there's plotlines to be had there, and he's a fun character in general.

The others are good too, but they wouldn't work on their own, IMO.

/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks