What's new

Is this a good setup to purchase? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Hi everyone,
I used to frequent this forum a while back when I was creating my own home theater system, but have since found less and less time to come read about all the new stuff out there. Now, however, my sister has aksed me to put together a home theater system for here in the price range of $3000-$4000, but isn't to concerned if I go over.
While she certainly isn't an audiophile (neither am I, but I'm much more picky than she is) I don't want to dump garage on her and pass it off as good quality equiptment. It's been a while since I was into the audio/video world, so it took some research all over the web to create the list. Please, all you experts out there, let me know any suggestions or recommendations you have based on my choices.

NOTE: She lives in a two-story condo and the room this system is going to go into is on the second floor (wood floors). It's a mid-size room but is open to the entry way and kitchen.

Receiver:

First Choice: Denon AVR-3806 ($757.98)
Second Choice: Pioneer VSX-72TXV (769.99)

DVD: (My sister specifically asked for a mutli-disc player so she could use it for listening to music)

First Choice: Yamaha DVD-C950 ($440.50)
Second Choice: Samsung DVD-HD960 ($166.98) *Granted, this isn't a multi-disc player, but I liked what I read about the player and I liked the price*

Subwoofer:

First Choice: SVS PB-12 PLUS ($899-$1099 +$99 shipping)
Second Choice: Axiom EP500 v2 ($1,200)

Fronts:

First Choice: Axiom M60 v2 ($960)
Second Choice: ***

Center:

First Choice: Axiom VP150 v2 ($400)

Surrounds: (Although she said she wants only a 3.1 system for now, I told her I'd find some good surrounds also in case she chose to go the 5.1 route)

First Choice: Axiom QS4 v2 ($420)

Cables, Wires, Surge Protectors/Power Conditioner:

*Need recommendations!*

Total: (w/o surrounds)

$3557

As you can see, this list is incomplete awaiting some more expert opinion. My biggest concern is finding a set of speakers that are efficient enough to NOT require an additional amplifier. Her listening volume will rarely, if ever, excede medium.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Right now, he has a (i believe) 32" Flat Screen tube TV but has said she wants to upgrade to either Plasma or DLP.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
That's certainly a setup worth purchasing. You might also take a look at Ascend as they make very good speakers as well.

I don't know anything about the DVD players you listed, but if she's going HD for her display then you might consider an upconverting player (but may not be necessary depending on the display)

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Anyone have any recommendations when it comes to cabling? I'm probably gonna need about 30 feet for each surround.

Also, do most use power conditioners or simple surge suppressors?

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Axiom gives a discount with five items purchased. So you could get the 5.0 and then get the SVS sub. Also like above Ascend is good and thier packages have Hsu subs which are also very good. SVS makes a bookshelf pkg that starts at a 1000 and goes depending on sub. Love this pkg myself but thats me. I'll agree to go with an upcoverting player like an Oppo. The Denon is an excellent choice. When it comes to power conditioners they are good for very sensitive equipment like film/video/sound editing (my line of work). When it comes to HT stuff a good surge protector will work from APC or Triplite. Cabling go with either Blue Jean, Acoustic Research(Best Buy has 50ft rolls for 15-20$) or Monoprice.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Mike

I would steer her in an entirely different direction. First, a Panasonic TH-42PX60U HD plasma, ~$1,800.

Second, the price on the Denon 3806 indicates non authorized dealer. Caveat emptor. Also, I would go for the 2807 over the 3806.

Subwoofer: SVS PB-12NSD, $600.

Speakers: Onix Rockets 5 speaker package in genuine rosewood: http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=12.1 $1,797.

DVD player of your choice.

Speaker wire. Home Depot white 16 gauge lamp cord ~18 cents/foot. Interconnects, monoprice.

For less than $4,000 she can upgrade her entire AV system to one that will be stunning. If she wants to keep with a rosewood theme, the SVS SB-12 Plus in rosenut, $750, is gorgeous and inconspicuous.

Please take a look at these products and let me know what you think :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mike,

I recently did a lot of research looking for a suitable receiver for some friends who are non-technical users like your sister probably is, so let me pass on a few practical recommendations to help.

First, look for a manual that is user-friendly with lots of pictures to guide you through the functions and operations. I know that sounds “first-grader,” but with many manuals these days topping 100 pages for even lower-end models, we need all the help we can get – trust me!

Second, pay attention to the remote controller (if you plan to use the stock one). If it’s a nightmare to operate and navigate, what should be a pleasurable viewing experience becomes an exercise in frustration. Avoid remotes with rows and rows of black-on-black buttons that have no differentiation in size or color. It’s nice if certain groups of controls are coded by color – transport functions, menu navigation, channel 10-key, etc. Also, gold or gray silk screening will be hard to read in the dark.

Make sure the remote has basic functions like and volume and mute on-line at all times. It’s a royal pain to have to change from DVD mode to Amp mode, and then back to DVD mode, just to mute when the phone rings or if you want to nudge the volume up a hair.

Also, make sure the remote has per-button, head-to-head programming capability for the components, not just pre-set codes. Pre-set codes invariably leave out some function you really want, so it’s nice to be able to specifically add it to the receiver’s remote instead of having to keep say, the DVD remote handy for a zoom or closed caption function, or something like that.

With that in mind, I’d recommend Yamaha as one of the more user-friendly brands. That will also be a plus if you go with the Yamaha DVD player – one less component to program into the remote.

Parts Express Dayton cables. Well-made, very reasonably priced.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....&WebPage_ID=59

Surge protectors, conditioners – unless you know she has issues with her electrical service, or if you live in an area prone to lightning storms, I wouldn’t bother. Plenty of others here feel differently, though, so maybe some of them can make a recommendation.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Good thoughts Wayne

With regards to the remote issue, user friendly is important, as you say. My other thought on this is, with a $3K-4K budget, how bout adding a Harmony 880 to make it really easy, (after some help from Mike setting it up, if needed). This would certainly make sense if they end up spending $1,500 less on speakers.

2 schools of thought on speakers. If Mikes sister wants to minimize visibility, then the SVS makes sense. If she likes the look of rosewood, then, something like the Onix make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks