What's new

Is there any reason I should *NOT* get an RSP-1066? (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I finally (!) found one in Canada for ~$1350 shipped. This may seem like a strange question, but I just want to be sure it's a sensible decision at this point.

Rest of system:
Rotel 1075 amp
Veritas 2.1 mains (soon to be 2.2i me thinks)
Take 1.2 centre (soon to be 2.0Ci)
Take 2.2 rears (soon to be...well...I don't know yet...C1s maybe?)
Denon DVD-2200

Any input/suggestions/comments are much appreciated.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yes, because the 1068 is out. :)

And because the 1066 has the "double bass" problem with the 5.1 analog inputs that cannot be bypassed unless you open it up and do some board level soldering yourself, which voids the warranty.

The 1068 is getting high marks for sound quality. I've seen multiple comments already that its sound quality is closer to the newer 1098 than the 1066.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
It's a good $1000 more though versus the used price for the 1066...if I'm to take an alternate route, I'd be looking at something under $1000US ($1400CND or so).

DanaA

Screenwriter
Kevin raises a valid point about the double-bass issue. I'd check to see whether the fix has been performed. If it's new, probably not. If it's used, it might be a moot point. I don't think the warranty is transferrable. Club Rotel at HTGuide.com has information on how the self fix is performed. Rotel also was performing the fix for free, if I recall, but I'm not sure if they're still doing so or whether they'd do it for free on a unit where you're not the original owner. Of course, it really might not matter if you're not using it or don't plan on using it for DVD-A or SACD. I'd call Rotel to see if they'll still do it for free. You will have to pay shipping costs though.

If you are planning on using video switching, I'd determine whether the video switching had been upgraded to the higher 100 Mhz pass through (it used to be 10 Mhz). You can call Rotel with the serial number and they'll tell you.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member

Just to clarify you do not need to solder anything to the board. Its a simple matter of cliping two small caps but like Dana mentioned you can have Rotel do it for a nominal fee if you like.

There have been some good replies in Club Rotel so I won't belabour the points made by others but IMO the 1066 is still a fine processor and for the price you're getting it for I consider it a solid purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks