What's new

Quick Bi-amping question... (1 Viewer)

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Ok, here's the deal. I have a Marantz SR7300 that is only being used as a pre/pro right now (Rotel RSP-1066 will soon take its place). I have a Rotel RMB-1075 (120wx5)powering my B&W 600series speakers (604's, 600's, LCR600) and I have a spare RB-1050 now doing nothing.

Would it be possible or effective to bi-amp my mains with the 1075 AND 1050?

I would have to split the unbalanced outs on the pre/pro and send it to both amps, then of course connect my speakers to both amps (already running 4-strand wire so no problems there, just add 2 bananas to it).

Of if I used the Marantz's internal amp to power one set of speaker inputs and the Rotel to power the other...stretching the 4 speaker wires per channel and plugging them into both amps...

Any thoughts on this?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Possible? Certainly. Effective? You’ll have to be the judge of that. Some people say they’ve had good results biamping, others say they couldn’t hear a difference.

Since you already have an amp lying around, can’t hurt to try.

I suspect that any positive results people report is merely a situation where certain amps ideally match certain driver/crossover combinations. If it does do good for you, great, but don’t expect that it’ll always give good results with all speakers and all amps.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Thanks for the response...looks like no one wanted to touch this one :)

I guess I'll give it a try!

John S

Senior HTF Member
you still need an electronic crossover was well. But the headroom gains alone are worth it in all honesty. May not technically sound better though.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
You can do it without active crossovers.

The headroom benefit won't be as significant since the amps will be outputting the full voltage waveforms but the current draws will be less so there will be some additional headroom as the cahnce of power supply sag will be reduced.

I'd try the RB-1050 on the bass section first

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Bass section first? I'm guessing this putting the lower power there since my towers are doing less bass work anyway (SVS PCi 20-39 takes care of that, receiver crossover set to 100mhz)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks