What's new

Out: Yamaha RXV-630 (preamp duty). In: Rotel??? Something else??? ....HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Here's some background:

The system as it is now:
Pre/pro: Yamaha RXV-630
Amp: Rotel RMB-1075
Source: Denon DVD-2200
Speakers: Front L/R Energy Veritas 2.1
Centre & Rears: from Energy Take 5.2 set.
Cabling at the moment is Linn K20 to the fronts, Monster Z1 to the centre, XPHP to the rears. Interconnects are my own Belden 89259/Eichmann Bullet Plug concoctions (1695A for digital coax).

I'm going to upgrade the front L/C/R to Veritas 2.2i/2.0Ci I think...as it stands now, the centre is quite subpar for multichannel music usage...and as always, I'll go audition other stuff, but I admit my bias towards Energy and other API stuff. I'll leave this for another thread though, just thought it might be some more useful background.

Back on track ...

In analyzing my system usage, I've realized that 95% of my listening is stereo CD playback. The Denon puts out a better sound via its digital output than via analog in my system as it stands. I purchased the Yamaha as an interim preamp until I could afford something better. We're there now. My idea was to get the speakers and a processor now, and add a dedicated CD player at a later date.

Based on suggestions I've read and received, I'll quickly sum up my options as they exist in my head...I'm sure this isn't an exhaustive list.

1a) Upgrade processor to Rotel RSP-1066. Use Denon 2200 as source for now via whatever output sounds better with the Rotel.

1b) Someone suggested an outboard DAC (the Bel Canto DAC2, specifically) could be added later in lieu of a dedicated CDP to add more flexibility. Or it could be added now. I have no personal experience with the Rotel processor and don't want to bug my dealer if I have no intention of buying. The Bel Canto seems to get good review though, although it is absolutely ugly and in a monoblock like box that I have no idea where I'd put in my rack. Another option was the Musical Fidelity A3.24 if one ever pops up in Canada again. If Andrew Pratt sees this, I know you had this DAC with a Rotel processor in your system for a bit. Could you share your experiences?

1c) Upgrade to the RSP-1068. This will blow the budget entirely though.

2) Upgrade the processor to something else in the same budget bracket (used items, of course).

The caveat here is that it has to be available in Canada. Importing something of this value effectively adds ~$300CND+ to the price, so unless something is priced absurdly below market value, my options are sort of limited here. I've found a Rotel RSP-1066 here in Canada, so I have a limited amount of time to make up my mind, but I wanted to explore other options. Whatever it is, it has to have a 6 channel analog input (which means something relatively recent), DPLII (again, something recent), and then all the normal DD/DTS/etc.

3) Keep the Yamaha. Add a DAC.

I'm not really sure how this would work out. The idea of a ~$500 receiver getting a signal from a $1300 DAC and passing it to a $1500 amp seems a bit...out of balance. ($ = CND)

4) Something else. I welcome any and all suggestions.

5) A personal friend suggested keeping only the Rotel amp, selling everything else, and starting over. Not really an option in my mind, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if someone else agrees.

The more ideas and suggestions the better. If anyone in Toronto has similar setups and would be willing to arrange an audition, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Here's some background:

The system as it is now:
Pre/pro: Yamaha RXV-630
Amp: Rotel RMB-1075
Source: Denon DVD-2200
Speakers: Front L/R Energy Veritas 2.1
Centre & Rears: from Energy Take 5.2 set.
Cabling at the moment is Linn K20 to the fronts, Monster Z1 to the centre, XPHP to the rears. Interconnects are my own Belden 89259/Eichmann Bullet Plug concoctions (1695A for digital coax).

I'm going to upgrade the front L/C/R to Veritas 2.2i/2.0Ci I think...as it stands now, the centre is quite subpar for multichannel music usage...and as always, I'll go audition other stuff, but I admit my bias towards Energy and other API stuff. I'll leave this for another thread though, just thought it might be some more useful background.

Back on track ...

In analyzing my system usage, I've realized that 95% of my listening is stereo CD playback. The Denon puts out a better sound via its digital output than via analog in my system as it stands. I purchased the Yamaha as an interim preamp until I could afford something better. We're there now. My idea was to get the speakers and a processor now, and add a dedicated CD player at a later date.

Based on suggestions I've read and received, I'll quickly sum up my options as they exist in my head...I'm sure this isn't an exhaustive list.

1a) Upgrade processor to Rotel RSP-1066. Use Denon 2200 as source for now via whatever output sounds better with the Rotel.

1b) Someone suggested an outboard DAC (the Bel Canto DAC2, specifically) could be added later in lieu of a dedicated CDP to add more flexibility. Or it could be added now. I have no personal experience with the Rotel processor and don't want to bug my dealer if I have no intention of buying. The Bel Canto seems to get good review though, although it is absolutely ugly and in a monoblock like box that I have no idea where I'd put in my rack. Another option was the Musical Fidelity A3.24 if one ever pops up in Canada again. If Andrew Pratt sees this, I know you had this DAC with a Rotel processor in your system for a bit. Could you share your experiences?

1c) Upgrade to the RSP-1068. This will blow the budget entirely though.

2) Upgrade the processor to something else in the same budget bracket (used items, of course).

The caveat here is that it has to be available in Canada. Importing something of this value effectively adds ~$300CND+ to the price, so unless something is priced absurdly below market value, my options are sort of limited here. I've found a Rotel RSP-1066 here in Canada, so I have a limited amount of time to make up my mind, but I wanted to explore other options. Whatever it is, it has to have a 6 channel analog input (which means something relatively recent), DPLII (again, something recent), and then all the normal DD/DTS/etc.

3) Keep the Yamaha. Add a DAC.

I'm not really sure how this would work out. The idea of a ~$500 receiver getting a signal from a $1300 DAC and passing it to a $1500 amp seems a bit...out of balance. ($ = CND)

4) Something else. I welcome any and all suggestions.

5) A personal friend suggested keeping only the Rotel amp, selling everything else, and starting over. Not really an option in my mind, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if someone else agrees.

The more ideas and suggestions the better. If anyone in Toronto has similar setups and would be willing to arrange an audition, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I shall add that this string of upgrades will probably be the last for a while. After this, it'll be time to move on to other financial priorities and long term investments. I want to do it all well this time around so that it lasts a few years without me absolutely *HAVING* to upgrade something (the urge will never subside...of course).

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I shall add that this string of upgrades will probably be the last for a while. After this, it'll be time to move on to other financial priorities and long term investments. I want to do it all well this time around so that it lasts a few years without me absolutely *HAVING* to upgrade something (the urge will never subside...of course).

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
The first thing you need to understand is that when you use the digital outputs on your Denon then the Yamaha takes over the DAC role instead of using the onboard Denon DAC.

You are essentially saying that your Yamaha sounds better. You can keep the Denon for a transport role no matter what you decide to do.

I have tried different amps, a DAC, a plethora of DVD and CD players , cables , room treatments and the list goes on,

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
The first thing you need to understand is that when you use the digital outputs on your Denon then the Yamaha takes over the DAC role instead of using the onboard Denon DAC.

You are essentially saying that your Yamaha sounds better. You can keep the Denon for a transport role no matter what you decide to do.

I have tried different amps, a DAC, a plethora of DVD and CD players , cables , room treatments and the list goes on,

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Yes yes, I understand that, which is where the outboard DAC idea came into play with the Denon as transport. Although, I still have my Pioneer Elite DV-45A kicking around unused...one of these has to go since I only need one. Decisions decisions.

My friend that I mentioned is using a Yamaha DSP-A1 as his processor, and the conclusion was similar to my setup...Yamaha DACs over Denon. I rather expected the opposite, and tried to convince myself that the Denon should sound better. It didn't work.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Yes yes, I understand that, which is where the outboard DAC idea came into play with the Denon as transport. Although, I still have my Pioneer Elite DV-45A kicking around unused...one of these has to go since I only need one. Decisions decisions.

My friend that I mentioned is using a Yamaha DSP-A1 as his processor, and the conclusion was similar to my setup...Yamaha DACs over Denon. I rather expected the opposite, and tried to convince myself that the Denon should sound better. It didn't work.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Well Drew, we can discuss this since we are kind of in the same boat as you said.

As you see I have went with a pre-pro upgrade ...if this does not do the trick then there is only one upgrade path ..$$$peakers, ca-ching!

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Well Drew, we can discuss this since we are kind of in the same boat as you said.

As you see I have went with a pre-pro upgrade ...if this does not do the trick then there is only one upgrade path ..$$$peakers, ca-ching!

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Speakers are in the works too. It seems the only thing that needs to be kept is the Rotel amp and the interconnects. Beyond that, I can sell the Denon if I want to, and essentially start over. New source, preamp, and speakers. The Rotel will do well with anything in my price range.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Speakers are in the works too. It seems the only thing that needs to be kept is the Rotel amp and the interconnects. Beyond that, I can sell the Denon if I want to, and essentially start over. New source, preamp, and speakers. The Rotel will do well with anything in my price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks