What's new

Is there ANY market for used 43 inch non-HD TV's? (1 Viewer)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
When I got my Sony rear projection non-HD 3 years ago I was buying outside my budget box already. I just could not fork out another $400 for a HD compatable.

Of course - NOW - I have the resources to get a large screen HD TV - HOWEVER - what do to with the old, but perfect shape KP-43T75 that I have now.

In your opinions would I have to make the price SO LOW that it would not be worth selling it? It was $1400 3 years ago.

What kind of price would would guys put on something like this ????? I'm baffeled.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well, in comparison to what J&R is doing here in the city, they have an old Non-HD t.v. about 50 inch and they are trying to sell it for 899 a $100 drop from last week. Eventhough it's 3 years old which is not a lot of time, I guess you can compare it to someone trying to sell a receiver with pro-logic in era whereas receivers now have 7 channels.

Get as much as you can for it even if it means selling the thing for the cost of your extended warranty on the new t.v. Yes, 300.00 don't seem much especially based on how much you paid for it, but reality is reality. Is there any other room you can place this t.v. if you wanted? If that's not the case and you don't get the most you want for it, then perhaps donating it a local community center or Hospital or rehab center can get you at least a receipt for the fair market value for tax purposes.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
I cant imagine paying the shipping cost for a tv like that.

I dont think that there is a market for used TVs at all - especially CRTs (both HD and non-HD). At best, you could find a co-worker or relative that would pay 1/4 - 1/2 of CURRENT market price (not your 3-yo list price).

PerryD

Supporting Actor
You can do what I did, push the old set (in my case a 50" Pioneer) off to the side of the basement, hook up your PS2 to it, and pick up gun games like Time Crisis 3 and Vampire Night. Gun games currently only work on interlaced non-high def television sets, and look and play great on big screen TVs. I'm going to be in tears in a few years after my set dies when I won't be able to play those games.

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
The sad thing is that it is a truely awesome set. Even friends with HD say that it's way clearer the most other projection sets they have ever seen. Perhaps because it's calibrated correctly. So I'm not hurting, it just would be nice to be Progressive instead of interlaced.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'd keep it if I were you. As much trouble as people have with HD Displays, would make a nice backup. Most HD Tuners have svideo out, so as a backup it would be usefull.

SvenS

Second Unit
I don't know where you get that used CRT based HDTV's have no market! Considering CRT based HDTV's still offer the best quality picture and also the fact that there are a lot of people out there who would love to have an HDTV but can't afford a new one but would jump at the chance for a decent priced used one I think you are far from what is reality in the marketplace.

Yes, non-HDTV's are pretty tough to sell at a decent price but there is always someone who would pay what they can afford for a non-HDTV that has nowhere near the money for a new or used HDTV.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have to sort of agree....

Not quite a year ago, I got more for my el cheapo 46" GE than I expected to. Odd deal though, I sold a very old 31" CRT and the 46" CRT RPTV for $500 for both to the same person.

The 31" was 11 years old, and the 46" was about 8 years old.

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
A few months ago I sold my 6-year-old Toshiba 40" (or maybe it was 42") non-HD widescreen TV for $400. I sold it through the newspaper in just a few days to some dude who didn't even care that it was widescreen. I was still getting phone calls about it a week later, even though the ad ran only for two days.

There's always a market.....

Good luck.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
When I bought my Sony 46wt510 HD. I sold my KP43t70 to a coworker for $500.00 . I paid about $1300 for it new. The KP43 was a terrific analog 4:3 set, but the 46WT510 is so much nicer I have no regrets whatsoever . Take the leap and don't look back.

Craig

Second Unit
A lot of people don't have any interest in home theater or high definition and just want something to watch the football or basketball games on. If you could get $400-$500 as some have mentioned then you should take it. I saw that Circuit City had an Akai(Samsung) 42" widescreen RPTV for $799 last week and prices like that will put the squeeze on the used bigscreen market.

Stephen-R

Agent
OR....You can DONATE the TV.

Donate to a School, Nursing Home, Church, etc.

You will still lose money, however, you will get a deduction on your taxes.

And you would feel good about it.

Just a Thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks