What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Is there an Anamorphic Mortal Kombat in any region? (1 Viewer)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I really love this movie, and the soundtrack. I'll probably pick up the R1 sometime this week, unless I can find it released in another region with an anamorphic transfer. Does anyone know if one exists? Thanks.
------------------
Kyle³
------------------
Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

mark_d

Second Unit
I had the R2 (UK) version which claimed to be anamorphic on the packaging BUT IS NOT.
I almost wore my PAL tape of this extremely amusing movie out, then I bought the R2 (UK) DVD which has a strange cut in addition to the standard "No nunchakus in the UK allowed" cut which I can only guess was for timing reasons.
Anyway, I ended up buying R1 (US), and even though it's non-anamorphic it's probably one of my most spun discs. The slowdown (to correct speed, having only been used to the PAL version) was very noticable.
I say go R1 for correct film speed.
I'd pay real money for a souped up re-release up to the standard of, say, Blade - which incidentally has clips of MK playing in the background at Frost's party...
Mark

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
As a big fan of the movie (And the video games - at least back then) I wish they re-release it... My main concerns are not just the anamorphic, but the picture quality. I hope that they use a better print for a new version and crank up the Bitrate (And hey, DTS would be nice) But 384 kbps AC3 is not so bad for now...
I just checked the end credits and there is a DTS logo so a DTS Stream is available! I would buy a Superbits-Like edition of that movie any time!
I read a rumor somewhere that a 3rd movie was in the making, hopefully that will renew interest in MK and maybe a better version of the DVD will be made.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I just checked the end credits and there is a DTS logo so a DTS Stream is available!

Unlike Dolby Digital AC-3, the DTS audio codec used in theatres is different from the audio codec used on DVDs; the DTS label refers more to the company than to the audio format.

Travis W.

Second Unit
Talk about a missed opportunity. The 10th anniversary of Mortal Kombat has come and gone (August 18, 1995) and no decent edition has been released. I know this probably isn't regarded highly in the film community but it is a fun piece of entertainment. I was 9 when I saw this film for the first time and I was hooked, there was an atmosphere to it, a good vibe throughout. At the time Mortal Kombat 3 was still in the arcades and Kombat fever was at a high point. If I could see it on the big screen one more time...

New Line if you're reading this, at least consider releasing a new disc.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Yeah hopefully one day they re-release the film. its one of the game movies I actually like, and it had one hell of a soundtrack

capt

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I own the region 2 copy and although the DVD does the job, I would gladly purchase a special edition.

Always liked the film. Never fails to entertain.

Travis W.

Second Unit
I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with the rights to the film. Although I would assume New Line owns the rights to the film, just not the rights to a new sequel.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
I think it was by one of the special effects supervisors.

This movie really screams out for DTS, the full bitrate version. There's a lot of dynamic sound design going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks