What's new

Is there a Conversion chart for 4:3 and 16:9 TV's? (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
ShortVision (16:9) and TallVision (4:3) sets both have their merits for different people.
The only real 'antiques' are sets that cannot property render a 480p source in both 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios and a 1080i source in a 16:9 aspect ratio.
The front screen of an RPTV is a passive surface. Any real film fan watches lots of 4:3, 1.85:1, and 2.35:1, plus some other ratios. No RPTV you buy fits all ratios.
Don't let anyone tell you what set ratio is right, and which is wrong. This is not about OAR, but rather your own usage patterns and desire for relative size among various aspect ratios.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I recently had this debate and ended up going for the Toshiba 50H81, a 16x9 set. This set is going to be a long term investment for me. The 16x9 made the most sense to me in this regard. Plus is means that my best video source (DVD) has the largest screen area available.
I was turned off 4x3 sets when I noticed how few do the squeeze mode and how few do the squeeze mode for a signal other than 1080i.
Mt $0.02.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.