What's new

Is there a cell phone for the ELDERLY? (1 Viewer)

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Cell phones are getting smaller and smaller. Cool. What about the older person who is in a rehab center who needs a cell phone? Do they make one with bigger buttons and bigger display? Something with the handicapped or elderly in mind.

Thanks!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
What about the older person who is in a rehab center who needs a cell phone?
If they're in rehab, aren't they not permitted to go out? I don't see why they can't just use the rehab phones...

Anyways, if they're allowed to go out and about, the only thing I can think of now is what Richard said, voice command cells.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
There are all kinds of "rehab" and much of it is done on an out-patient basis. If you're in rehab following elbow or knee surgery you can probably drive. Finally people do use cell phones when they aren't in their cars. (Although you could hardly prove that driving around my neck of the woods. :))
Voice command systems are obviously the way to go. The patient can have someone with nimbler hands punch in the numbers to program the thing.
Regards,
Joe

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Thomas,

My father-in-law is stricken with the following, and is nursing a broken shoulder back to health.

1. Advanced case of diabetes. He is now a double-amputee with no legs.
2. Currently on paratineel (sp?) kidney dialysis for his kidneys which have been of no use because of the diabetes.
3. He has had one eye removed due to cancer.
4. He has less than adaquate vision out of his existing eye.
5. He can no longer feel his fingers.
6. He has a recently broken shoulder due to a fall from his bed, so he now has no way to transfer to his wheel chair.
7. He is close to 250 lbs. so he is not mobile at all.
8. He is re-cooperating from a recent bout with pneumonia.

He is in a rehab center to get his arm back up to strength so that he can go back home and be able to tranfer to and from his wheelchair. He has no phone, and has no use for one that he can't even see.

Surprisingly, the guy just keeps ticking. He has a will like no other human I have met.

I appreciate the suggestion for the voice-command phone. What service whould I get that through? I guess I just like the idea of a "bigger" phone. I bet there is a market out there.

Andrew: Good response. That was very funy.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Actually, stupid design, with impossibly small controls, and illegible print or glyphs, is endemic in the modern economy.

I have tried to find easy to use CD players, for senior citizens, but the market doesn't produce much that fits the bill. Home electronics design (those black boxes, with black buttons) has got to be one of the most clueless of modern professions.

Any surfing on the net also demonstrates oodles of ways to design hard to navigate sites.

Stupidity knows no limits

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
in addition to voice commands, most phones have a speed dial capability. just press and hold a key and it will dial a number.

the following may or may not work...depending on the dexterity of the user:

they can use the phone book function. just scroll and find the name, then hit send.

or, they can use the "preset" feature. just tie the preset to the phone number, enter the preset, then press send.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
in addition to voice commands, most phones have a speed dial capability. just press and hold a key and it will dial a number.

the following may or may not work...depending on the dexterity of the user:

they can use the phone book function. just scroll and find the name, then hit send.

or, they can use the "preset" feature. just tie the preset to the phone number, enter the preset, then press send.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks