What's new

Is there 8.5" x 14" photo paper? (1 Viewer)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I searched locally and could only find the regular 8.5" x 11" glossy photo paper. Does 8.5" x 14" glossy photo paper even exist? I don't see why not.

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
Andres,
Not sure what your specific requirement is, but I've looked for this as well so I can print 8x12"s, which is the full frame ratio from my film and digital SLRs. My solution is to cut 13x19" sheets down, with one sheet yielding two 8.5x13" sheets (and a useless 1" strip). It's a minor hassle, but with a cutting board and an Exacto knife, it's relatively easy. As for brands, I'm very partial to the Ilford Galerie papers.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Like Dan, I have resorted to purchasing oversized glossy photo paper for my legal size needs -- I couldn't find 8.5x14 paper anywhere. I've used 11x17 paper mostly, since it's easy to find and relatively inexpensive. In my case, I use it only occasionally to print replacement covers for multi-disc DVD cases. Regular 8.5x11 paper works for single disc cases, but is not long enough for the multi-disc cases.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
As noted above, Epson makes a legal size photo paper but it is not glossy. It does offer 720dpi resolution, however. I could not find this paper in stores, so I had to order it off the internet.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Scott,

Have you used this paper to print DVD covers?

I have a bunch of Ric's covers that I need to print and hope that this paper would work.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

Yes, this is my primary use for them. They look pretty good, although I would personally prefer just a little more sheen to them. Otherwise, the color and the detail are good.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
If you guys are printing DVD covers with them.....why not buy Neato DVD case booklets? They are the same size as the commercial case covers and are already pre-folded where they need to be. They have photoshop & Illustrator templates that line up with their cover sheets or you can use their mediaface software and make your own cover art with that.

The paper is A4 size and is thick and glossy. Is a perfect substitute.

www.neato.com

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yes, I'm trying to print DVD covers that I buy from dvdcoverart.com. Their size is 10.8" x 7.25". So I print it in landscape but I can't make the margin that narrow. The length of the image is 10.8" and the paper is 11" so it gets cropped on both left and right.

That's why I was trying to find longer paper, like 8.5" x 14". But it looks like there is no high gloss photo paper that size. I might have to go with 11x17.

The neaton suggesstion is another option.

Thanks.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
unless cost is a problem...I think Neato will end up being your easiest and best looking option. (Although I can't imagine it costing more than buying glossy 11x17 paper and cutting it to size).

The inserts are pre-cut to the standard case size and using their software, all you would have to do it drop the DVD cover art image file onto their template and print. The hardest part is getting the settings to line up exactly on the sheets the first time. After you calibrate it with some regular sheets....you are good to go. :emoji_thumbsup: :)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Brian, have you used neato yourself? If so, what size are the sheets? I can't find the size on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.