8.5 x 14" glossy paper?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Christ Reynolds, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    or matte paper, i want to be able to print my own dvd covers without having to 'trick' the printer into thinking the paper is longer than it really is, my printer isnt that great at using all of the paper's surface. is there any place i can get decent matte or glossy photo paper for a good price?

CJ

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Get a new printer! [​IMG]

You will likely save money, time, and hassle equivalent to the cost in no time by being able to use cheap 8.5x11 paper for full prints. I'm so glad that I went and picked up the Epson Stylus Photo 960 in spite of my pledge to never buy an Epson again. Finally, the stacks of cardboard cases to replace with custom covers are disappearing fast. I did about 50 covers on a set of ink while I went to the movies tonight.

The only negatives would be that the Epson printouts actually require the print be scaled to 97% to get the true image size for covers, the ink is not available at any local store, and for some reason and the borderless driver for OS X doesn't work so I have to print with my HTPC.

Using 8.5 x 11 Kodak Anytime Picture Paper ($20 per 100) I get printouts that not only don't stick to the case like the Kodak 11x17 glossy($30 per 25), but also are near identical to the feel and look of a real DVD keepcase insert.

The paper to get for 8x14 is Kodak Everday Picture Paper that is listed on the insert in the Anytime Picture Paper box. I believe it is only available overeas, but I plan to order several packs because it should be long enough for the multidisk Alpha Cases.

Another series of printers to look at are the Canon i950 or 850? that can also do borderless prints on 8.5x11 paper.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    well, its not even my printer in the first place, so i'm not sure i want to buy one. i wouldnt mind spending a little extra for paper in order to get it right. i will be printing a couple 4 and 5 disk cases, so i'd need the longer paper anyway. i hope there is a way to do borderless with the printer i am using, its an hp 7150 photosmart. do you find that glossy works best for dvd covers?

CJ