What's new

Is the THE MATRIX really a reference disk? (1 Viewer)

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
The Matrix was and is a great demo/reference disc. It contains a very good transfer, lots of use of surrounds, etc. And if you're not getting big bsss out of the minigun helicopter and helicopter into the side of the building scenes, you need to get a better subwoofer. ;)

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Well I've got a SVS 20-39PCi, calibrated and EQ'd, so I don't think my sub is lacking. But I still find that overall the Matrix isn't the most impressive DVD. Yeah, it's got some nice surround action and some occasional bass, but there are also moments when it seems to lack the impact that you'd expect. I also find the transfer isn't that great by today's standards (and no, I'm not talking about the green tint).
I'd love to see a SuperBit (I know, wrong studio) release of The Matrix with DTS-ES discrete sound, though. Despite the current DVD coming up a bit short by today's standards, it's still my most-watched DVD.
That said, I think things are getting out of hand with some of today's action movies; they're just so over-blown it's getting ridiculous. Louder is not always better; there are a lot of other aspects to high-quality audio. Brotherhood of the Wolf is a recent example, the soundtrack on that movie is just ridiculous. Judging from how xXx sounded in theaters, I'm guessing that will be another one when it hits DVD.
The Spider-Man DVD, on the other hand, which some people complained about, actually had very good sound quality IMHO, even if it wasn't necessarily the loudest, most active soundtrack of the year.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
but I still get no bass that i can feel, at least no with this movie
C'mon, guys.
I never said The Matrix was the be all, end all bass reference DVD. But ya gotta admit, there are several scenes with very deep, high amplitude bass. If the Morpheus knee smash doesn't rearrange your hair style at high volume, nothing will.
If Vaughan and his rel q100e can't feel anything on The Matrix, none of these other DVDs will be any better.
This may be a moot point if this is the same Vaughan that just bought dual SVS Ultras.
;)
Regards,
Ed

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Some of the best bass I've ever heard on a DVD is on Event Horizon. Mainly the beginning. It must be below 20hz as it is the only disc that has ever bottomed out my ARS-500.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I second Jurrassic Park 3 chapter 5 when the dinos fight!!!! in DTS. I also agree with Ron Epstein that Spiderman is kind of flat. It does not have good separation.

Stefan A

Second Unit
Well on my system there is a constant rumbling going on that I find unrealistic. I mean these guys surrounded by solid rock, I've worked underground and when all the machines are quiet there aint no rumbling goin' on.
Yes, but were you in Middle Earth? :)

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
A couple of people mentioned "The Haunting" so I watched it last night. I got to tell you it does have some serious bass and a lot of it. There were some spots in that movie that made the china in the china cabinet in the next room rattle.:D Needless to say I have added "The Haunting" to my demo list.:emoji_thumbsup:

Andre F

Screenwriter
The Haunting in DTS has the most bass I've heard on a DVD. I would however say that The Matrix is one hell of a reference disk as well.

Vaughan

Agent
Please anyone? Does the matrix have any deep bass at the end of the movie when Neo fights Agent Smith, and is there any deep or subsonic bass when Neo kicks Agent Smith when he becomes The One.(I think chapter 36.)I really like chapter 36 because Neo is just SOOO godlike in his fighting.Please elaborate and explain how deep those scenes are?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the Matrix recently and was struck by how good this transfer still is. Other than some compression artifacts, everything looks great. I would like to see this disc redone by simply putting the extras on a separate disc and applying today's better compressioning techniques and we would get an overall, excellent picture because it seems that the actual transfer itself is very good. As far as audio, it too is very good. Excellent deep bass in several scenes.

As far as this disc being reference quality TODAY, I would have to say no. I have discs that look and sound better. But, this was reference when it came out and still looks and sounds good for today's standards - just not reference.

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
I always liked Blade's Night Club scene for sheer braindamage potential, good LFE throughout the disk too.

And I agree the video in The Matrix is disturbingly green.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
City Lights is likely the best sound mix on DVD.

It's DDD (recorded, mixed, and played back digitally) and has an excellent stereo separation. PCM 2.0 surround is excellent.

Eliot.T

Auditioning
aotc?? I must have something wrong with my set up, because whenever after I get done watching aotc, I gotta turn the bass DOWN when I put Blade 2 in. AOTC I thought had WEAK bass... b2 almost blows my sub each time if I don't watch my settings..

I also second Saving Private Ryan...I have the DTS version and at the end when the german tank comes towards them and the ground starts shaking in the movie, including the ground in the house......First time I watched SPR, I had the bass turned to max and felt off-balance for the whole day due to such low bass...

-ET

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I agree with the greenieness of the Matrix.

Speaking of SPR, does anyone else get those flame artifacts during the D-Day sequence?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks