What's new

Is the RP91 the best under 1k? (1 Viewer)

AndyHangartner

Stunt Coordinator
I see a lot of comparisons to the rp91. Is this the player to have? If so then why not just buy it? What are the other viable options and what makes the rp91 so special? I have one and use the progressive mode on my HDTV, but the difference in the picture with or without progressive on is not noticeable. Also the layer change stinks. What's a better player? Picture quality (no BUG) and better at layer change?
Inquiring minds..............you know the drill.
andy

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Andy, this subject has been discussed quite a bit lately. Other models to consider are the Denon DVD-1600 and Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700. Neither show the chroma bug and both play DVD-Audio discs. The '1600 is a single-disc player that sells for around $500, and the '5700 is a carousel changer that goes for around $800. See www.crutchfield.com for more on these players. Also, a search here should yield some useful information.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I own an RP-91 and I'm not going to replace it, but if I had to right now, I would get the Kenwood.

DJ

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
the Rp91 doesn't have the chroma bug, does it?
the only thing i don't like about mine is the relatively slow layer change...otehr than that i love the rp91.

in what ways is the Kenwood a better player?

Andy_S

Second Unit
The RP-91 does not have the Chroma Bug. Also, it does a great job at scaling non-anamorphic DVD's.

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
You may also want to check out the Denon DVD-3800. It apparently has nearly all the features you would want (except SACD and a multichannel digital output) and should be available at right around $1k. It has digital bass management on DVD-A, no chroma bug, zoom functions, and excellent deinterlacing.

Eric T

Second Unit
Anyone have a Pioneer DV-47A? I've been looking into this one, and it looks very good on paper. 12-bit video, SACD and DVD-A capability, progressive scan, dedicated analog stereo. I've seen it online for about $850.

Can anyone make a comparison of this unit to, say, the Rotel 1080, the RP-91, or the Denon 3800?

David Judah

Screenwriter
in what ways is the Kenwood a better player?
It has a better de-interlacer, although I will say the RP-91 is not bad as some folks make it out to be for most DVD movie material. In some comparisons I did with the Panasonic and the Denon 1600(based on the RP-56)it held its own even though the Denon has the technically superior Faroudja DCDi decoder.

The main reason I would get the Kenwood if I was replacing the RP-91 is because I would like the 5 disc capability.

Eric,

I found the Pioneer 47A to be a solid performer all the way around, although for video I would still take the RP-91 for its tweakability. It's a nice one box solution for DVD-A & SACD, but its weakness was Red Book playback(easily remedied with a seperate CD player).

DJ

Matt AFA

Grip
And if you are looking for 5 disc capability, the Denon DVM-4800 could be on your list. I don't think the list price is

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Others have mentioned the Denon players, the 1600 and 3800.

I'm not sure about the 16, but the 38 uses a buffering system for the layer changes...which you are looking to remedy. They are lightning quick, to the extent that they are nearly unnoticable.

Jeremy

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
Also if you are looking for a 5 disk changer, no chroma bug, Faroudja deinterlacing, DVD-audio, and a 12 bit video DAC, the Yamaha DVD-CX1 can be had for less than $1000.

Andrew B.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dzung said the following about the Denon DVD-3800:

It has digital bass management on DVD-A, no chroma bug, zoom functions, and excellent deinterlacing.
Actually, the '3800 does show the chroma bug. Denon Jeff announced recently on AVS Forum that a firmware upgrade will be made available soon to correct it, but it is not available yet. Also, there was some skepticism on this site recently about whether the firmware upgrade would really work. If the flaw is inherent to the hardware, a firmware upgrade may do nothing.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Ok, I am a litle confused please clear this up for me.

I would still take the RP-91 for its tweakability. It's a nice one box solution for DVD-A & SACD, but its weakness was Red Book playback(easily remedied with a seperate CD player).
I thought the RP-91 was a DVD-A player, not DVD-A and SACD

as well i am ignorant as to what is meant by redbook playback.

I am relatively new to this section of the forum (but my next purchase is goign to be a DVD player so I am reading up)

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
Keith, thanks for clarifying the chroma issue with the Denon- you're absolutely correct. There are a number of reasons why I believe the firmware upgrade is valid, however. First, DenonJeff admits that the 2800 and 2800mk2 can not be corrected so this sounds to me that is not just some sort of band-aid solution. Second, the Philips Q50 was able to correct its chroma bug with a firmware upgrade (see the Secrets Shootout II) so this is not unprecedented. Third, DenonJeff states that Stacey Spears from Secrets (one of the people who wrote the original article on the chroma bug) already has a corrected version and provided input regarding the changes. If DenonJeff had been spouting misinformation, Mr. Spears would have corrected him by now.

John-Miles, the RP-91 does not play SACDs. You took David's quote a little out of context. The "It" in that quote refers to the Pioneer DV-47A. Redbook is the standard format for CDs.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Dzung, so the pioneer 47a plays both?

hmm i will have to read up on this, i did not know there were any players that did dvd-a and sacd

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
Yes, the Pioneer DV-47A is one of the few so-called "universal" players out there. Marantz will also be releasing one soon.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dzung, no problem. I have heard the explanations in favor of the firmware upgrade for the Denon '3800 and '9000, and they certaily seem valid. Hopefully the firmware upgrade works! We'll have to wait and see when more people have it in their hands. The trick will be to get one with the upgrade out of the box.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Marantz will also be releasing one soon.
Tell me about it. As if the wait wasn't enough, I'll probably put a self-imposed hold on moving ahead with it as I've been psyching myself up to do a video display upgrade first (and thus will be more critical of a DVD player's video quality as well). Oh, such problems...

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks