What's new

Is Sony realeasing a new DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
I read over at the AVS Forum that Sony will be realeasing a new "ES" DVD player sometime soon. Is this true? If so, when is it due?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Haris, I haven't heard anything yet. It would be great to see Sony produce a successor to the 'S9000ES with multi-channel SACD. It would basically be the 'NS900V but better. The CES was held in Las Vegas earlier this month, but I heard no talk of a new Sony DVD player being shown there.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Sony's new product introductions are in the fall, so we won't see them until CEDIA 2002 in September, with a potential sneak peek at Stereophile's show in NYC in May.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, I have yet to attend a hi-fi show (hopefully the show in May in NYC will be my first), so I am not too sure what has been announced at which shows. However, I thought Sony announced new SACD and DVD/SACD players at the CES in January 2001. Maybe I am wrong.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
O.K., John. Thanks for the info. I won't be at CEDIA, but hopefully, I will make to the Home Entertainment show in May.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Stacey, I am pretty sure Sony was present at CES to further promote SACD. Maybe they weren't there in full force with new components, but I'm sure they at least participated in the SACD demos in some capacity.

Derek1

Agent
Sony Does indeed have a new "ES" model coming. The model number was not yet listed in the new Sony model info that I received yesterday. It simply states DVP-ESmodel coming. On a side note there were several twin tray models that have a DVD bay and a CD-R bay.

FYI most if not all new Sony models will be announced at the Sony line show in March.....the 13th or 14th as I recall. I don't have the info right here.

Derek

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Derek, thanks for the info. I can't wait to see the new ES model. I imagine it will offer multi-channel SACD playback, which the DVP-S9000ES lacks. However, I wonder if the new ES model will be built to the same standard as the 'S9000ES. I also wonder how much it will cost. The 'S9000ES originally retailed for $1500, and the newer 'NS900V sells for $1000 typically. If the ES model sells for around $1500, it will probably be a better buy than the 'NS900V. Time will tell.

Chip E

Screenwriter
"However, I wonder if the new ES model will be built to the same standard as the 'S9000ES."

Keith,

Knowing how Sony usually debuets a product ie: first progressive scan dvd player- S9000ES, i'd be surprised to see another tank. Ya never know though.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, I agree with you. It is true that the 'S9000ES was a statement product, seeing as it was Sony's first ES video product and its first DVD/SACD player. That is why I question how the new ES model will stack up to the 'S9000ES. There is a definite difference in build quality between the 'S9000ES and 'NS900V, and I imagine there is room for a new ES model to end up somewhere in between. Hopefully the new ES model will be of the caliber of the 'S9000ES.

Gary_R

Agent
I too am waiting for a new Sony ES DVD player; I have a SACD multichannel player now (SCD-XA777ES) and it is superb, but I want a progressive scan replacement for my 7700. Obviously, the SACD features are of little interest to me; I want a progressive player with better deinterlacing than the 9000 and without the notorious chroma bug.

Sony usually has their own new product rollout show in March, with a few teaser announcements and photos on their press release page beforehand.

-- Gary

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Gary, I imagine any ES DVD player will include SACD playback, which will be included in the price. If Sony were to make more than one ES model, maybe they would make a straight DVD/CD player, but I suspect any ES model will have SACD. Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks