What's new

Is my puppy untrainable, a demon spawn, or just a puppy? (1 Viewer)

JayV

Supporting Actor
That's great news! It's funny; I was just pondering one of my dog's habits the other day when I wondered how you made out.

By the way, Steve, your Nylabone suggestion is working out very well. I'd get the Galileo, like Thomas suggests, but I can't bear to after Triumph's comments about it at the Westminster Dog Show.

-j

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
We tried the jingle bells on the door trick. After about a week, she figured it out. Then she rang the bells ALL the time. It was winter time and all she wanted to do was go outside and play in the snow and eat the snow. Drove us nuts. I will say that there is nothing wrong with crating her all day and night until she learns to hold it. The crate should be big enough that she can move around in it. The problem with the fenced in area is that there is too much room and she is learning that she can mess up one side while keeping the other side clean. At 6 months, she should be able to hold it in for 6-8 hours. I would crate her up one day and see if she holds it. You just may be surprised. Just make sure that when you come home you bring her directly outside.

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
Charles-

Glad to hear that your pup is behaving heself! I saw the post bounce back up to the top and am glad you posted an update.

Bootsie is now about 10 months and up to about 46 pounds...think she is finally slowly down on the growing!

-Randy

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I know, I have plenty of pictures, I'm just not really handy with the scanner. I'll try to see if I can get it to work or have my wife do it for me. On a side note, our 5 year old guinea pig died a few weeks ago. I am still sad about it, however we decided to get a nice long-haired female. He was a short haired mail with dark yellow and medium brown fur. His name was Butterscotch. The female has very dark brown and black hair and her name is Chocolate. I guess we're starting a trend. Anyway, many of our pictures are of the dog playing with him, so I will try to post some of them together. They were taken back when she was 15 pounds and he was over 3 pounds. Now she is 30 pounds and is much to big to play with Chocolate since she is a baby still. Butterscotch is burried in our backyard at the base of our maple tree. :frowning:

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
They are unfinished drywall, and she has gotten ahold of the paper at the seams or at the bottom and ripped huge chunks off, and in some places, she has dug the plaster out, so now all that has to be patched.
You are NOT alone. My 9 month-old dog/pup, Nova, has done the same thing in my kitchen. In addition, she proceeded to totally destroy NEW throwrugs that I bought the day before. Within 5 hours of being placed neatly on the floor (in a vain attempt to keep kitchen floor clean), Nova had eaten a huge hole through one of them and the carpet loops were strung out like a giant spider reaching across the floor. Grrrrhhh!

Puppies are put on earth to test our patience (as are children). If you and your fiance can survive through this puppy, then life's hurdles will be downhill from here.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
By the way, those pics are on my personal web server, which not only creates an issue with some people trying to view them through a corporate firewall/filter because they link directly to the IP of the web server, but also, that server is plugged in in a room where for some reason that we are still investigating, the cicuit breaker has tripped probably 5 out of the last 12-15 days. So if you cant see them, let me know and I'll move them to a public picture hosting site. Any suggestions for ones that let you link directly?

JayV

Supporting Actor
Yep, that beagle is a cutie. I notice she has a nice puppy bed -- does she eat that? I ask because mine still eats her blanket (although she no longer -- knock on wood -- chews up rugs).
Did you start taking her to puppy classes?
Oh yeah, in other (dog-related) news, I made a chest that slides on top of her crate to store her paraphenalia. She seems to like the den effect it creates by covering the top.
More pix of mine here.
-j

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yep, that beagle is a cutie
Actually, she's a basset hound. But, she did rip that bed she's laying in. Not bad enough to destroy it, but it was too big, and took up too much space (it was actually a large, fullsize person bean-bag chair) so now she has a doggie bed that is only about 24" X 24" (except its actually a circle or oval, not square).

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Did you start taking her to puppy classes?
Oops, forgot to answer your other questions. Greta was so offended that you called her a beagle that she made me reply immediately, and I wasnt thinking ;) Anyway, no, we never enrolled her in classes. She has been really good as she just gets older. I cant wait until she makes it past that 1 year or so mark.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
With all the puppy threads going on, I thought I would offer an update, possibly to give some hope to some of these new dog owners. My dog is wonderful now. Really my wife and my best friend. She sleeps in our bed, always makes me feel good when I come home from a bad day at work. The only thing she ever does is sometimes get in the trash in the bathroom. She never chews anything of any value (as if she somehow knows what is trash, like the other day, she took the little carboard tear-out from when you open a new box of kleenex and chewed it up, how did she know???). Any way, she never goes inside and is really well behaved (although usually initially hyper) around other people.

So keep up your hope with your new puppies.

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the update Charles. Great to hear.

I saw the post was again active, seems like forever ago that I replied to your post.

Our pooch Bootsie has topped out at about 50 lbs. She's been great. A few months ago we stopped having her sleep in her crate and having her in her crate when we go out. All has worked out well. Bootsie will make off with a random sock every once in a while and does dumpster dive for our trash-tissues, dryer sheets etc. She sleeps either under our bed or done on our old couch in the living room-likes the view out the windows...

Knock on wood, no accidents in the house, can leave her a full work day if need be...

Like you said, great companion, cheers you up when you're down!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear all worked out. My dog Ginger has topped out at about 56 lb. and is just an angel in the house. After a little initial chewing problems she has been just perfect (watch, I'll go home and she'll have peed on everything). I can't imagine myself without a dog again. We need a dog-hugging smilie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks