What's new

Thoughts from An Old Fossil (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
As you get older, sometimes your thoughts reach back to events that at first you think just happenen a few years ago, but on further reflection can be decades ago. For example, we were thinking that we should get a new fridge the other day, and my argument against the idea was that our present fridge was almost new. We looked in our files and discovered it was bought in 2009!
Today I was cleaning the kitchen after my wife finished backing cookies. I thought "who is she -- Lady of Charm?"

When I was 9 or 10, in Windsor Ontario, in the late 1950s, we watched all our TV via antenna from Detroit. I can't remember how the schedule exactly worked, but it was show-we-liked, followed by show-we-were-too-lazy-to-get-off-our-ass-and-change ("Lady of Charm") followed by show-we-liked. "Lady of Charm" was a cooking show. The star was a thin middle aged white matron in an evening gown, who swirled in and cooked some 50s dessert, making a big mess in the process. Then she said "Bula!" (or some other racist name), and a heavy black woman would come over and clean up for her. "Lady of charm" became a biword in our house whenever one of us became too uppity. We watched the show every week waiting for Bula to tell the LOC to Fuck Off!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As you get older, sometimes your thoughts reach back to events that at first you think just happenen a few years ago, but on further reflection can be decades ago. For example, we were thinking that we should get a new fridge the other day, and my argument against the idea was that our present fridge was almost new. We looked in our files and discovered it was bought in 2009!
That's not old. I think the fridge in my place was bought sometime in the early 1990's.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
With regard to dates, I think it's just that time passes much faster than it can seem, especially the older you get and the more years and events are in your past. Things I would guess happened only 3-4 years ago usually were closer to 10.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
With regard to dates, I think it's just that time passes much faster than it can seem, especially the older you get and the more years and events are in your past. Things I would guess happened only 3-4 years ago usually were closer to 10.
Yeah, I was a teenager in the mid-90's and at that point, Fast Times At Ridgemont was a fairly old movie in my mind and it was about 15 years old. Now, a movie from 2005/6 seems like it's reasonably new to me.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
In the 60s, during the “nostalgia movement”, I discovered my love for the classic comedians and musicals of the 1930s. These of course were 30 or more years old at the time, but felt like they were from another planet.

Do young people today look at movies of the 1990s the same way?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I doubt that’s actually true, but even if it is, so what? The last film came out 10 years ago, and the first book was published nearly 25 years ago. That’s eons. How many kids in 1980 were more interested in something from 1955 or 1970 than something that was on TV, radio or in theaters right then?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure kids and teenagers still know about Harry Potter. It is not like the franchise has disappeared even though it is no longer the phenomena it once was. Keeping a property in the minds of new generations is a function of continual marketing in pop culture and nothing more. There is always going to be someone in every generation that will find and/or become interested in the property.

The Middle Earth trilogy was written decades ago and people still know about it. Shakespeare was the pop culture of his time and his works are still read and studied hundreds of years later.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Last time I was at Universal’s Harry Potter land, there was a wide variety of age groups eagerly enjoying the experience including plenty who couldn’t have been born when the books and films were brand new.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My soon-to-be 10yo granddaughter *loves* Harry Potter. She's read the first book and has seen all the movies. She has several Harry Potter Lego sets. I just purchased "Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle" cooperative deck building board game specifically to play with her, although I think we'll all enjoy it as it has board game mechanics we like. Her 14yo sister and 17yo brother both like and watch the Harry Potter movies, although I don't know if they've read any of the books.

Our refrigerator is ~15 years old but it seems like yesterday when it was purchased.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
Yeah, I was a teenager in the mid-90's and at that point, Fast Times At Ridgemont was a fairly old movie in my mind and it was about 15 years old. Now, a movie from 2005/6 seems like it's reasonably new to me.
There's an occasional running gag in the MCU with the newest Spider-Man referring to "old movies" like The Empire Strikes Back.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks