What's new

Is it worthwhile to upgrade to prologic II? (1 Viewer)

GaryMil

Stunt Coordinator
How much of a difference does prologic II make for everyday tv shows, such as Enterprise? Will I hear more surround effects? I'm using Direct TV, so my signal is digital. Also, how would movies not broadcast in DD sound with prologic II. Would it be a big improvement or hardly noticable?

I guess my question is, is it worth it for me to spend $500-$1000 for a new receiver just for this feature?

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
I think it is a good improvement over Pro Logic. I just made the change recently and like it. It does a much better job than PL. I have PL in my car and drive a lot. I am very familiar with what it does (or doesn't) do. PLII does it much better... movies and music.

MarcVH

Second Unit
I like PL II, and I wouln't buy a new receiver without it, but I don't know that I'd spend an extra $1,000 for it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If DPL2 is the only reason you're upgrading, I wouldn't spend that much on it. But if you have other reasons to replace your receiver, DPL2 is a must.

I'm using Direct TV, so my signal is digital. Also, how would movies not broadcast in DD sound with prologic II.
DPL2 was designed to work with ALL 2-channel sources, whether analog or digital.

M.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I recently bought all 6 seasons of the X-Files. They are all Pro Logic. After watching then on my Yamaha w/out DPLII, and on my Denon, which does have DPLII, I say it is an improvement. But like others have said, don't upgrade solely for DPLII. Wait until you want to upgrade your entire receiver, not just add one DSP.

Yogi

Screenwriter
is it worth it for me to spend $500-$1000 for a new receiver just for this feature?
NAH!!! (notice the upper case)

I have DPLII but prefer 3802's Matrix mode. So PL2 is not a cure all and there are other DSP modes comparable or better than it. However if you are buying a new receiver for some other reason then PL2 is a must (which doesn't matter as all new receivers come with it). So dont upgrade just for PL2.

MHO.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I personally like Neo 6 over DPL II.
Me too, but I wouldn't upgrade just for either one of them.

What kind of receiver are you using now, Gary? If it's 3-4 years old, you are probably due for an upgrade and most receivers will offer DPL II(and Neo 6)anyways.

DJ

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for Logic 7 over PLII.

What receiver do you have now? Does it have any alternate DSP modes? PLII is definitely better than PL, but many synthetically processed sound modes are.

Tim

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I like DPL2 myself I get about 13 channels of 5.1 content through Comcast Cable here in Washington whom I also work for. So the rest of the 2.0 channels it makes a great difference, it helps that the rest of the channels for the most part are being broadcast in Digital Audio and all of the channels come through my Toslink out on my box to my reciever.

I really like it for music to, whether it be MP3 or CD. As has been stated before a huge improvement over PL1, though depending on some of the music I listen to the DSP on my reciever does an even better job.

Also if you have a gamecube its a must to have DPL2 since Gamecube doesn't have a digital audio out. The encoding process they use on there games rivals 5.1, I have Star Wars Rouge Leader 2 on Gamecube and the sound demo they have on it does a full 5 channel pan of a tie fighter quite amazing when you consider its coming from an analog 2 channel input.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

ditto. A year or so ago I was looking to upgrade my failing Dolby 5.1 receiver with one that could do DTS too and DPLII was like an added bonus. Sure it makes television programs sound better than DPL did but my soundsystem is built around getting the most bang for the buck from DVDs and CDs not cable television.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I personally like Neo 6 over DPL II.
I find that the dts NEO:6 Cinema mode is fine. For those with 6.x or 7.x speaker setups, note that NEO:6 creates a back-surround channel in addition to the two side surrounds. DPL-II decodes/creates 5.x channels only. NEO:6 Music mode 'steers' a little too much for me. DPL-II Music is much more tweakable, with the center width and panorama controls. NEO:6's increased steering activity (i.e. placing sounds in a particular location) can be great for movies and TV, but I find it distracting for music. That being said, the effect of any of these is very dependant on the source material, so I switch often and find the best for a given source.

GaryMil

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a Denon 2801. So I'm kind of stuck with the original prologic for DSS or cable. No other options. I'm considering the HK 520 or Denon 3802. Actually that brings up another question, since the reciever would act as a pre-amp rendering the internal amps useless, would a 2802 sound any different then a 3802?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks