Is it worth it to upgrade my DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Dec 15, 2000
    I currently have a Pioneer DV-525. And, I haven't experienced any problems since the day I purchased it (January 25, 2000). It gets used almost every night at least (sometimes watching two films at a time). Is it really necessary for me to upgrade to a $300.00 DVD player? Would I get a better picture using just the interlaced output (no capability for progressive scan at this time) from a more expensive player? Just how much of a better picture would it be?

Keep in mind that I bought the Pioneer DV-525 for only $220.00 at Best Buy and it still outputs an excellent picture to my Sony WEGA KV-32FV27. I have the upgrade-itis bug (thinking what I'd like to do with my tax refund) but I'm also thinking it may not be practical to upgrade at this point in time. I plan on getting either a Mits 55807 or a Tosh 57HX81 sometime in the next six months, so upgrading now probably won't be beneficial.

Current models that I'm thinking of upgrading to:

Toshiba SD4700 (can get a cool discount from where I work)

Sony NS700P (or the NS715P if it's being released this June)

What do you guys think?
  2. Andrew B

Andrew B Agent

Feb 26, 2000
    I am in the same boat as you [​IMG] I have had my 525 since September 1999 with almost daily use and have not had any problems. I am currenly looking for a better player, I do not think that any budget player under $300 will be much of an inprovement over what you have in the way of video or audio quality. The thing to shoot for is a player that has more features. I am looking for a player that has DVD-Audio (with bass management), MP3 playback and progressive scan for when I get a 16:9 TV like the Toshiba 57HX81 (or something similar) at the end of the year. Basiclly I want something that I can grow into, but will not be obsoleate 1 month after I get it. Players that I am currently looking at are the Denon 1600 and Panasonic 91 (but is has no bass management for DVD-Audio). I have ruled out the Toshiba because of its chroma bug (though it is very afordable). Also some time this year Panasonic will come out with the RP-82... its stats make look to be a Denon 1600, just for half the price. Personally I am leaning to waiting a few months for the new players to come out, though I do not know if I can keep the upgrade bug a bay that long [​IMG] I may even wait untill I get a 16:9 set and maybe get a deal if I get the player and TV at the same time. I know if I get a new player now I will not use the progressive features, and will just end up spending a lot of money on DVD-Audio titles, which will futher set me back on getting a 16:9 TV [​IMG] Anyway enough of my mindless chatter, I can only hope it helps you out.
  3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jan 23, 1999
    Hmmm.... Sounds familiar. I upgraded about 5 months ago (has it been that long?) from my old ProScan interlaced DIVX machine of the same vintage as your Pioneer 525. My upgrade was prompted by the following reasons:

* Audio performance. I was unsatisfied with the audio capabilities of my ProScan. 96/24 DADs sounded worse than their CD counterparts because of poor DACs.

* Chroma bug. Your Pioneer has this. I don't think you notice it unless you're looking for it, but once spotted it becomes distracting.

I ended up getting one of the last blowout Technics DVD-A10 machines. First generation DVD-Audio, ridiculously overbuilt, with no chroma bug. The audio performance clobbers the Proscan and the video is better, too! And as a bonus I have DVD-A capability! The fact that I got this $1200 list player for $350 brand new with warrantee from an authorized dealer was the "push over the cliff" that i needed.