What's new

Is it worth it to upgrade my DVD Player? (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I currently have a Pioneer DV-525. And, I haven't experienced any problems since the day I purchased it (January 25, 2000). It gets used almost every night at least (sometimes watching two films at a time). Is it really necessary for me to upgrade to a $300.00 DVD player? Would I get a better picture using just the interlaced output (no capability for progressive scan at this time) from a more expensive player? Just how much of a better picture would it be?

Keep in mind that I bought the Pioneer DV-525 for only $220.00 at Best Buy and it still outputs an excellent picture to my Sony WEGA KV-32FV27. I have the upgrade-itis bug (thinking what I'd like to do with my tax refund) but I'm also thinking it may not be practical to upgrade at this point in time. I plan on getting either a Mits 55807 or a Tosh 57HX81 sometime in the next six months, so upgrading now probably won't be beneficial.

Current models that I'm thinking of upgrading to:

Toshiba SD4700 (can get a cool discount from where I work)

Sony NS700P (or the NS715P if it's being released this June)

What do you guys think?

Andrew B

Agent
I am in the same boat as you :) I have had my 525 since September 1999 with almost daily use and have not had any problems. I am currenly looking for a better player, I do not think that any budget player under $300 will be much of an inprovement over what you have in the way of video or audio quality. The thing to shoot for is a player that has more features. I am looking for a player that has DVD-Audio (with bass management), MP3 playback and progressive scan for when I get a 16:9 TV like the Toshiba 57HX81 (or something similar) at the end of the year. Basiclly I want something that I can grow into, but will not be obsoleate 1 month after I get it. Players that I am currently looking at are the Denon 1600 and Panasonic 91 (but is has no bass management for DVD-Audio). I have ruled out the Toshiba because of its chroma bug (though it is very afordable). Also some time this year Panasonic will come out with the RP-82... its stats make look to be a Denon 1600, just for half the price. Personally I am leaning to waiting a few months for the new players to come out, though I do not know if I can keep the upgrade bug a bay that long :D I may even wait untill I get a 16:9 set and maybe get a deal if I get the player and TV at the same time. I know if I get a new player now I will not use the progressive features, and will just end up spending a lot of money on DVD-Audio titles, which will futher set me back on getting a 16:9 TV :rolleyes:Anyway enough of my mindless chatter, I can only hope it helps you out.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm.... Sounds familiar. I upgraded about 5 months ago (has it been that long?) from my old ProScan interlaced DIVX machine of the same vintage as your Pioneer 525. My upgrade was prompted by the following reasons:

* Audio performance. I was unsatisfied with the audio capabilities of my ProScan. 96/24 DADs sounded worse than their CD counterparts because of poor DACs.

* Chroma bug. Your Pioneer has this. I don't think you notice it unless you're looking for it, but once spotted it becomes distracting.

I ended up getting one of the last blowout Technics DVD-A10 machines. First generation DVD-Audio, ridiculously overbuilt, with no chroma bug. The audio performance clobbers the Proscan and the video is better, too! And as a bonus I have DVD-A capability! The fact that I got this $1200 list player for $350 brand new with warrantee from an authorized dealer was the "push over the cliff" that i needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks