Is it sony Vega or Wega?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Hom, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I always thought it was Wega because my local home electronics store called it a Wega, but a recent Sony made TV ad called it a Vega. Which is it?
    Also, for those with Sony Vega/Wega at 27" or larger, there is a 16x9 enhanced mode. Is it any good? Does an anamorphic image in this mode look better than a standard non-anamorphic widescreen image?
    I'm curious because since a Vega/Wega is not a 16x9 TV, the resulting 16x9 image is resized to what looks like a normal black bar letterbox mode.

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

It's Wega. The Wega logo makes the W look sort of like V though. The W is pronounced like a V.
    The 16:9 mode will give you a higher vertical resolution, so the picture will be better, at least objectively.
    /Mike
    [Edited last by MickeS on July 24, 2001 at 02:09 PM]

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    It's a cultural thing if you can follow. It is spelled Wega, but it is pronounced Vega. The Japanese tend to reverse the pronounciation of the letters V and W.
    If you can imagine ... "Wolksvagon" ...
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

4. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

The difference between anamorphic and non anamorphic is huge. Anybody can see it. I will never buy a TV that is without that feature now that I have a 36" Wega.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

5. Bill Millar

Bill Millar Auditioning

It is pronounced VEGA (like vegas without the (s). If you look at Sony products it's two V's one white and one is gray superimposed over the other making it look like a W.
    The reason for this is because it is named after the Brightest Star in the constellation "Vega". In some Sony manuals it will tell you the same thing.
    When store managers went to Sonys new product convention recently they were told to correct people on the pronunciation of the name.
    Bill
    [Edited last by Bill Millar on July 24, 2001 at 06:59 PM]

6. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

I knew it. I kept telling my friends that it was 2 Vs that just look like a W but everyone thought I was nuts. I knew I was right. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "I'd rather have 2 girls at 21 than 1 girl at 42." - W.C. Fields
    "One man's simple is another man's huh." - David Stone

7. BrandonL

BrandonL Stunt Coordinator

I was so amazed when someone at Sears called the TV a Vega. Oh yeah the difference on my 27inch with and without anamorphic is very very noticeable. Also the letterbox thing you are talking about would be the same with or without anamorphic on a non 16x9 screen.

8. Andrew Chandler

A sales guy at Sears told me that it was pronounced Vega because its a german name, and the "W" in german makes a "V" sound. Don't know the true reason though