What's new

is it ok to use play XBOX on a big screen CRT TV? (1 Viewer)

Rob T

Screenwriter
my friend is going away for a few days and so he's loaning me his XBOX... and I was just wondering is it ok to use my big screen (50"+) TV to play it?
I know it supposedly wasn't back in the old days of NES and genesis, but I was hoping that things have changed since then. Thanks.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
If it is a phosphor-based display(CRT based or plasma), such as a CRT RPTV, then you should take care to minimize still-image graphics that can wear into the set permanently. See the MASTER BURN IN thread at the top of this forum for more than you ever wanted to know, and how to minimize risk of burn-in.

If it is a digital fixed-pixel device (DLP, LCD) then you have nothing to worry about.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I don't know of any 3D type of games that have all that many still images these days... but I also don't want to risk it.
I guess I'll have to hook it up to my smaller TV then. :frowning: oh well. thanks anyways.

R:o:b

Agent
what kind of t.v. u got rob? im sure that you will have no problems with xbox. i know i dont with my xbox and 43 rear projection tv.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Playing in moderation is fine. Keep the contrast low and the brightness a bit higher and you should be fine. Keep the gaming to under 2 hours at a time and make sure you give the TV 1 hour of other programming between game sessions.

This is for CRT RPTV's.

Regards

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Turn the contrast down to about 1/4 of full scale each time you turn the TV on. You will now probably be able to play games all you want without damage to the TV.

Just one hour of bright stationary material on the screen with the contrast up high can cause visible damage, or if the material is bright enough damage can occur in seconds.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
I played my playstation and then XBox on an RCA 52" CRT RPTV for over 5 years and never had ANY screen burn in of ANY type.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I've played video games on rear projection CRT sets for many many years. Really, as long as the contrast is set at a reasonable level and you don't pause the game overnight, you shouldn't ever have to worry about burn-in. Certainly, precautions can be taken to be extra careful as suggested like not playing for more than a couple hours at a time, but even then that should be for the same game and only if the game has static images.

I keep my 13 year old 50" Pioneer off to the side of my basement to play light gun games on, while my main 65" HD set is used to play everything else from the current systems. The entertainment gained from the added sound and visuals of playing on your dedicated home theater cannot be measured.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
My 50" Mitsubishi has had nothing but Xbox games played on it for the last 6 months - and no sign of screen burn.

Unlike the video games of old, the screens in modern video games are very dynamic. Problems arouse when the brightness was cranked up and some game with a fixed control panel/score/etc that was all white stayed in the same spot all the time.

Modern games use colors and low-intensity graphics for HUD's and other fixed things on the screens. And even with fixed things, there are load screens, cut-scene animations, etc that all help to avoid burn in.

Just take everyones advice and check the brightness & contrast and make sure it is not cranked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks