What's new

Is it normal for Sony HDTV's to power on very slowly? (1 Viewer)

Dave Marx

Stunt Coordinator
Just bought a 36-inch HS20 Sony. I notice that when I turn on the set, it takes about 12-15 seconds for me to get a picture. I hear sound first and then the picture comes. My parents have a bigscreen Sony and the same thing happens, although I consider that more normal, since it's a 61-incher.

Any thoughts?

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
My 32" Sony does the same thing. It's over 5 years old and takes about the same amount of time to start now that it did when I brought it home. I find this extra step a good thing. It's annoying sometimes, but I realize it's for the set's protection and just patiently wait!

Matt

PS - Every Sony I've dealt with does the same thing, so it sounds like you are good to go : )

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I think it's totally normal. My 32" XBR not only does the same thing but also it's red stanby LED is blinking while it's "warming up". When the LED goes out, the picture comes on.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, my 13 inch Trinitron takes 10 seconds for the red light to stop blinking and the picture to come up. Stabilizing the high voltage and other power supply components before letting 18,000 volts loose on the picture tube is a good idea.

Audio products like recievers have similar "mute" mode on start-up. This helps prevent pops from the speakers while the power supply is stabilizing.

Artie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks