What's new

Is it just me? I am trying give non-CRT RPTVs a chance but... YUCK!!! (1 Viewer)

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor

With all due respect, were you watching it in "vivid" mode? I have this Sony, and, with reasonable settings, I think it does at least as well with SD as my old CRT RP set did...

Oh, and yes, the JVC DILA set is still available. Best Buy does not carry all of the available HDTV sets.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
Any HD set won't display SD content very well. They werent made for that. I have the 55" version and it displays SD content much better than my CRT RPTV.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ya know andrew, i'm embarassed to say i'm not sure what mode it's in right now. :b but your point is well taken.

don't get me wrong though, i *love* that tv...i'm nearly positive i'll be picking one up if i can sell my 65" for a reasonable price.

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have some kind of depth or weight limitation?

If not, it seems the best value/performance is still the old CRT RPTV. You can get a Mitsubishi 65" for less than $2500 (well, at Best Buy for example in the US).

You do have to control the lighting a bit more than with the newer technologies--but that's what "home theater" rooms are for--controlled conditions...

I've got a 4+ year old Pioneer 58" CRT RPTV, calibrated by Gregg Loewen, and I have no desire to "updgrade" to any newer technology...

All the comparative reviews I've read show that indeed the gap is closing between the technologies, but for the same size screen, you'll be paying almost double the cost for the new micro-displays.

If my set died, in a heartbeat I'd replace it with another CRT RPTV...

Rolando

Screenwriter
I know what you mean MarcS.

My biggest regret in life is having sold my Elite Pro-710.

I still wake up screaming in a cold sweat at night...

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Here is another CRT fan. I have seen numerous digital sets and there has always been something wrong about them. By biggest problem is that my eyes start to get irritated by them and that doesn't happen with a good CRT. Hopefully I can find something in the future that works for me and has PQ comparable to CRT.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I used to own a CRT RP set... It had great picture quality...

But I now own the Sony 60XS955 RP LCD set.

To me, one of the main advantages of a digital set (beyond the smaller form factor) is that there is no threat of burn-in.

I loved my "old" Toshiba 50H81 set... But it was kind of annoying that you could barely watch it with any kind of light in the room. This is basically an effect of the glare screen on the TV and the low contrast settings needed for "safe" viewing. I had it ISF calibrated, and I didn't want to crank it the brightness/contrast up to too high of levels just to be able to watch TV/movies when there was any background light. Same thing with X-Box games. With my calibrated settings, sometimes games were too dark to play.

I feel with my new Sony, I have a great TV. I am very happy with the picture quality after a little tweaking. No glare screen and slightly "brighter" display means I can watch any time of day and with background lighting without trouble. Oh yeah... and it's bigger than my old TV too. :)

Soni

Auditioning
FYI--Toshiba 34HFX84 is still available for purchase online. Why is everyone saying that it is discontinued?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks