Is "Hero" ever coming out in US?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by rbirk, Feb 22, 2004.

1. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I am still waiting to see Zhang Yimou's "Hero", but unfortunately I live in US [​IMG] It originally came out in 2002 and it has basically come out in every corner of the world except in US (even on home video).

It is so sad Miramax controls this movie and so many more and just butcher them. I was so excited in 2002 waiting for the movie to come out. By the time it really will finally be released here it will probably feel like an old washed-out movie on one of the tv channels. I am wondering what the marketing logic is here?

2. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

Who knows what their crazy miramax logic is. It's the same deal with Shoalin Soccer. My best suggestion for you is to do what I did and buy a Region 0 copy of Hero. It's incredibly easy to get on ebay or various online retailers for a good price.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Heck, you live here in Cambridge. Find the nearest New England Comics and buy one there.

That said, supposedly part of the hold-up in the US is that the director has veto power on the cuts made and has refused to make any, which Miramax apparently objects to on principle. The scheduled date now is a theatrical release sometime in June, but who knows.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

What version of Hero has the longest running time?

5. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    The main question is is: Are there any versions of "Hero" available uncut, subbed in English, with excellent video and audio quality, and will play on any region 1 DVD player? (A Region 0 will play on anything right?)

If there is such a version that I can buy, I won't wait around for dumb ass Miramaxe any longer.

-Dennis

6. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

"Hero" already came out...

[​IMG]

Oh, wrong "Hero". My mistake...[​IMG]

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

To be serious, what's this movie about? I've never heard of it before.

7. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

Actually the cuts were already made. Miramaxe made Zhang Yimou cut the film even for the HK release.

Here's some good news about the Oscar debacle, and how Miramax dropped the ball (on purpose?).

Monkeypeaches

Chris

8. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

To add to that, the story Nameless (the official/magistrate Jet Li's character) changes, each change being shown with a different shade of color that dominates the scenery/costumes.

Chris

9. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

This was a fantastic movie! I have a R0 copy of it, gotten through HKFLix.com
    I also have a copy of Shaolin Soccer from DDDHouse

It's a shame the lengths we have to go through to get these movies [​IMG]

10. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Great film [​IMG]

I've got the 2-disc Region-3 release.

11. Dan_Fitz

Dan_Fitz Extra

I watched this movie spring 2003 when I had a chinese film class at my college. My teacher saw the movie when he went to China the previous winter and said he had to show it. It was a great movie and I ended up writting a paper on it dealing with the colors in the movie and what they represent. I thought the movie would be out some time in late 2003 since it was so good. oh well i guess I should have seen this coming.

Any one who has not seen this movie yet must get a copy and watch it!

12. Adam W

Adam W Stunt Coordinator

To answer the question about when it is coming out on DVD, I do not know.

The movie will be coming out in theaters though. April 16, 2004 (NY, LA) from what I have herd, and sometime in June nationwide.

13. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Ach, Harvey Scissorhands at work again! [​IMG][​IMG] (I guess if Malena wasn't immune, Hero wouldn't be either)

14. DrewMcWeeny

DrewMcWeeny Auditioning

I wouldn't bet on the film being released on April 16th.

I know that's what Miramax is saying right now, but that's the day KILL BILL VOL. II got moved to, and there's no way Miramax is going to release two films with martial arts in them on the same day. They'll move HERO again.

What baffles me is that they paid $20 million for this film. This was not some bargain-basement pick-up of Harvey's that he can afford to just stick on a shelf and forget about. It's a $20 million investment, and he's bounced it around like a tennis ball so far.

I love the movie, btw. Great stuff. So beautiful. And the arrows... heh heh heh... oh, the arrows...

15. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

According to IMDB, the run times are as follows:

China: 93 min
    Finland: 98 min
    Germany: 99 min
    Sweden: 99 min
    USA: 96 min

Are those accurate?

16. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

According to AZNfilms, the R3 release has a runtime of 99 minutes while the R0 release is 97 minutes.