What's new

Is "Hero" ever coming out in US? (1 Viewer)

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I am still waiting to see Zhang Yimou's "Hero", but unfortunately I live in US :frowning: It originally came out in 2002 and it has basically come out in every corner of the world except in US (even on home video).

It is so sad Miramax controls this movie and so many more and just butcher them. I was so excited in 2002 waiting for the movie to come out. By the time it really will finally be released here it will probably feel like an old washed-out movie on one of the tv channels. I am wondering what the marketing logic is here?

JohnAP

Second Unit
Who knows what their crazy miramax logic is. It's the same deal with Shoalin Soccer. My best suggestion for you is to do what I did and buy a Region 0 copy of Hero. It's incredibly easy to get on ebay or various online retailers for a good price.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Heck, you live here in Cambridge. Find the nearest New England Comics and buy one there.

That said, supposedly part of the hold-up in the US is that the director has veto power on the cuts made and has refused to make any, which Miramax apparently objects to on principle. The scheduled date now is a theatrical release sometime in June, but who knows.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
The main question is is: Are there any versions of "Hero" available uncut, subbed in English, with excellent video and audio quality, and will play on any region 1 DVD player? (A Region 0 will play on anything right?)

If there is such a version that I can buy, I won't wait around for dumb ass Miramaxe any longer.

-Dennis

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"Hero" already came out...

Oh, wrong "Hero". My mistake...;)

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

To be serious, what's this movie about? I've never heard of it before.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

Actually the cuts were already made. Miramaxe made Zhang Yimou cut the film even for the HK release.

Here's some good news about the Oscar debacle, and how Miramax dropped the ball (on purpose?).

Monkeypeaches

Chris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

To add to that, the story Nameless (the official/magistrate Jet Li's character) changes, each change being shown with a different shade of color that dominates the scenery/costumes.

Chris

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
This was a fantastic movie! I have a R0 copy of it, gotten through HKFLix.com
I also have a copy of Shaolin Soccer from DDDHouse

It's a shame the lengths we have to go through to get these movies :angry:

Dan_Fitz

Grip
I watched this movie spring 2003 when I had a chinese film class at my college. My teacher saw the movie when he went to China the previous winter and said he had to show it. It was a great movie and I ended up writting a paper on it dealing with the colors in the movie and what they represent. I thought the movie would be out some time in late 2003 since it was so good. oh well i guess I should have seen this coming.

Any one who has not seen this movie yet must get a copy and watch it!

Adam W

Stunt Coordinator
To answer the question about when it is coming out on DVD, I do not know.

The movie will be coming out in theaters though. April 16, 2004 (NY, LA) from what I have herd, and sometime in June nationwide.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ach, Harvey Scissorhands at work again! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: (I guess if Malena wasn't immune, Hero wouldn't be either)

DrewMcWeeny

Auditioning
I wouldn't bet on the film being released on April 16th.

I know that's what Miramax is saying right now, but that's the day KILL BILL VOL. II got moved to, and there's no way Miramax is going to release two films with martial arts in them on the same day. They'll move HERO again.

What baffles me is that they paid $20 million for this film. This was not some bargain-basement pick-up of Harvey's that he can afford to just stick on a shelf and forget about. It's a $20 million investment, and he's bounced it around like a tennis ball so far.

I love the movie, btw. Great stuff. So beautiful. And the arrows... heh heh heh... oh, the arrows...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
According to IMDB, the run times are as follows:

China: 93 min
Finland: 98 min
Germany: 99 min
Sweden: 99 min
USA: 96 min

Are those accurate?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks